Question on what constitutes a sin

Sometimes when my girlfriend and I are sitting on a couch together she will ask me if it is ok for me to move my hand onto her breast. I dont find a problem with it as I am not touching it in a sexual way and it does not cause either of us any arousal. She says that it makes her feel safe and comforts her. I was wondering if the church has anything to say about this, since I know sexual touching is a sin but I do not believe that breasts are sexual organs.

Some background on us is we have been dating for over a year and are both 21 and in our last semester of college and are getting real close to engagement. We are also both devoutly Catholic and our faith life and growing closer to each other and God and in holiness is important.

Thanks for any help, God bless!

[quote="jack124, post:1, topic:225004"]

Some background on us is we have been dating for over a year and are both 21 and in our last semester of college and are getting real close to engagement.!

[/quote]

the only background that is relevant is that you are not married so you are not yet entitled to enjoy the graces of her person. You already know the answer. If you are ready for marriage, get married. If you are not, don't play with fire.

While breasts are not what one would call a sexual organ, and while they absolutely have another specific purpose besides sexual pleasure, they certainly can and most likely will lead to a sense of sexual pleasure for her and you in the future when you are married and so I have to agree that you would probably be better to not place your hands there purposely. It’s not the same as if you brush against them accidentally.

If you are in the company of people you trust and in a safe place, there really shouldn’t be a need for her to ask you to place your hand in a specific place to make her feel safer. It seems like she may be confusing her feelings a little. I don’t know…

As for sin, I don’t know and will leave that to those more knowledgable to answer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.