Question re: "ordained" women

Hello all,

I am in need of a reference regarding “ordained” women and the penalty they have incurred. I may be incorrect, but I seem to think that such incur latae sententiae excommunication, but I cannot seem to find reference in canon law. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Otherwise, can someone reference the actual penalty incurred?

Thanks!

I just looked quickly, but I didn’t find anything to show automatic excommunication for receiving the orders, though upon celebrating their first “Womynmass” or whatever they want to call it they do incur an automatic *interdict *which has similar consequences:

Can. 1378 §2. The following incur a latae sententiae penalty of interdict or, if a cleric, a latae sententiae penalty of suspension:
1/ a person who attempts the liturgical action of the Eucharistic sacrifice though not promoted to the sacerdotal order;

You may be thinking of the fact that if a Bishop attempts to Ordain or Consecrate a priest, a Bishop, without the proper permissions. He as well as those being Consecrated are excommunicated.

A June 15 2006 statement on the attempted ordination in Pittsburgh last year said, in part:

This unfortunate ceremony will take place outside the Church and undermines the unity of the Church. Those attempting to confer Holy Orders have, by their own actions, removed themselves from the Church, as have those who present themselves for such an invalid ritual. Additionally, those who by their presence give witness and encouragement to this fundamental break with the unity of the People of God place themselves outside the Church.

It does not appear to cite point of law in rendering this judgment.

Full text STATEMENT ON THE PLANNED JULY 31ST 2006 CEREMONY

tee

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.