Question regarding Samson and Jesus

I have been reading the book of Judges, and something confused me while reading the parts about the birth of Samson, as it seems somewhat similar to the birth of Jesus…

2Now there was a certain man from Zorah, from the Danite clan, whose name was Manoah. His wife was unable to become pregnant and had not given birth to any children. 3The LORD’s messenger appeared to the woman and said to her, “Even though you’ve been unable to become pregnant and haven’t given birth, you are now pregnant and will give birth to a son! 4Now be careful not to drink wine or brandy or to eat anything that is ritually unclean, 5because you are pregnant and will give birth to a son. Don’t allow a razor to shave his head, because the boy is going to be a nazirite for God from birth. He’ll be the one who begins Israel’s rescue from the power of the Philistines.”
6Then the woman went and told her husband, “A man of God came to me, and he looked like God’s messenger—very scary! I didn’t ask him where he was from, and he didn’t tell me his name. 7He said to me, ‘You are pregnant and will give birth to a son, so don’t drink wine or brandy or eat anything that is ritually unclean, because the boy is going to be a nazirite for God from birth until the day he dies.’”
8Manoah asked the LORD, “Please, my Lord,” he said, “let the man of God whom you sent come back to us once more, so he can teach us how we should treat the boy who is to be born.”
9God listened to Manoah, and God’s messenger came once more to the woman. She was sitting in the field, but her husband Manoah wasn’t with her. 10So the woman hurriedly ran and informed her husband. She said to him, “The man who came to me the other day has just appeared to me.”
11Manoah got up and followed his wife. He came to the man and said to him, “Are you the man who spoke to this woman?”
“I am,” he replied.

Now compare this to the birth of Jesus

18This is how the birth of Jesus Christ took place. When Mary his mother was engaged to Joseph, before they were married, she became pregnant by the Holy Spirit. 19Joseph her husband was a righteous man. Because he didn’t want to humiliate her, he decided to call off their engagement quietly. 20As he was thinking about this, an angel from the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, don’t be afraid to take Mary as your wife, because the child she carries was conceived by the Holy Spirit. 21She will give birth to a son, and you will call him Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” 22Now all of this took place so that what the Lord had spoken through the prophet would be fulfilled:
23Look! A virgin will become pregnant and give birth to a son,
And they will call him, Emmanuel.
(Emmanuel means “God with us.”)
24When Joseph woke up, he did just as an angel from God commanded and took Mary as his wife. 25But he didn’t have sexual relations with her until she gave birth to a son. Joseph called him Jesus.

So my question basically is, if Samson was also conceived by a virgin, as if I remember correctly wasn’t Samuel as well? What makes these figures different than Christ? I am just confused as to what makes one virgin birth from God different from another? Does this make any sense?

Just because someone was barren doesn’t mean they were virgins.

It says in the part you quoted “unable to become pregnant”

Meaning they had a bunch of sex and no kid until God intervened.

She was long past virginity when she had Samson as it takes a while of having sex to determine you “can’t” conceive.

There are parallels between them:

Miraculous conceptions, although in the same of Samson not a virgin birth.

Men having considerable bodily strength. (Our LORD chased men and beasts out of the Temple with a length of rope; undertook fasts that would kill average people; etc).

Samson carried the gates of Gaza on his shoulders; Our LORD carried the wood of the Cross on HIS shoulders.

Both men were betrayed into hostile hands.

Samson was blinded and mocked by his enemies; our LORD was blindfolded and mocked by his enemies.

Both men died redeeming their people.

ICXC NIKA

Yes, it is called a foreshadowing or type. The announcement of Sampson’s birth and the entire thing is very similar, isn’t it? The story foreshadows Mary, Joseph and the birth of Jesus. When you start to see these similarities, consider how the Old Testament story is a type of the New. This is a Pauline (St. Paul) and Catholic way to read Scripture.

Neither Samuel or Sampson was given birth by a virgin.

Blessings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.