Question regarding taking communion to the sick

A friend takes communion to the sick at our local Catholic hospital. She does not receive herself, because there is no one there to administer the Eucharist to her. The question is, is she allowed to self-communicate when administering the sacrament to others? I’ve checked various sites but have been unable to find an answer.

She could if necessary consume the remaining host(s) if it is not possible to return them to the taberncale. She should also be conducting as much as possible a Communion service (prayers, Scripture readings, Creed, Our Father, etc.) this will vary depending on the condition of the person. During a Communion Service the person conducting the service does usually receive Holy Communion. Unfortunately most people do not ( when they actually could) conduct the proper Communion Service for the sick and homebound.

If someone offers Communion to, say, 8 - 10 people individually - different rooms, different facilities - may they only receive Communion themselves once? Am I correct in the understanding that to receive a second time, it must be in the context of a Mass?

Should ministers to the homebound be taking communion when they have not themselves received the hosts at Mass the same day? There would be no need for them to self-communicate having already recieved at Mass.

I belong to the Legion of Mary and a couple of the members take Communion to the sick. They go to Mass every day and have a special container for the Eucharist which they use to take the Eucharist to the homebound.
A number of years ago when my husband was so ill he couldn’t go to Mass I got a special container so I could bring him the Eucharist. When he passed away I gave the container back to the Parish.

That would be correct if the people cannot possibly be gathered together for the Communion service, which would be better so that they actually gather as a small community. Many times people in nursing care facilities do gather in a dinning room or for other activities. So for instance lets say that there are 4 people who have Holy Communion brought to them. If one is confined to bed and the other three are able to be moved by staff in wheel chairs. The three should if possible be brought to the romm of the one confined to bed and a Communion service celebrated for all four at the same time.

Thank you.

A Happy and Blessed Easter!
Linda

After re-reading this again I want to clarify something. If a person receives Holy Communion say at Mass Sunday Morning before being sent with the Eucharist to the people they cannot receive again unless it is within the context of Mass. If they go out before attending Mass it would be best to wait until the last person or group is visited. The EMHC could then receive Holy Cmmunion and consume the remaining Hosts if it is not possible to return them to the tabernacle.

I wondered about this, but, I figured I had asked enough questions. Many, I think, go to Mass - Sunday or Daily Mass in the morning, **then **go to take Communion to the sick. In that case, they could not receive with those they are visiting, right? So, if you do **not **receive Communion at the Mass and go out, could you receive one time with those you are taking Communion to? Or, is it best to receive at Mass, and not with the person you are taking Communion to? Or, am I making this more complicated than it is?

It would seem Saturday would be the perfect time to go. You could receive Communion with someone who is sick, then return any remaining Hosts to the Tabernacle before Mass and receive Communion again at Mass.

Saturday afternoon would make sense, however the person visiting the Sick should be “sent” from the Mass if possible. As an extension of the liturgy of the Community. It would be better as I suggested that several people be gathered together for the Communion service if possible.

A person should receive at Mass before being sent. They should not receive with the sick person. If extra Hosts are left over and must be consumed because they cannot be returned to the tabernacle, they should be consumed privately.

We are discussing practicalities, which must be worked out for each situation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.