Question regarding the Second Commandment

Is “Holy S-it” and other cuss words with “Holy” against the Second Commandment?

I don’t know but maybe just drop the holy part? It reminds me of those exclamations that sound vaguely like they used to be religiously flavored - like “what in ‘carnation happened here!” Or “jeez” or “hocus pocus” (which was a mockery of the words of consecration in Latin, but who recognizes the Latin reference anymore?) However, there are plenty of other exclamations you can replace these with like “Jumping gingersnaps!” This said, I have learned it’s just better to say “ouch” when I mean “sh!t that hurts!” and “uh-oh” when I mean “oh d@amn” and “mommy needs five minutes by herself now” when I mean “f***.” Once uttered even the most innocent exclamation can never to un-said again & you never know who is listening.

1 Like

It’s sort of teetering on the edge. I might say “Holy Cow” or “Holy Moly” or “Holy (something something), Batman!” but I don’t like to pair it with a cuss word like S***. That’s how I deal with it. Other people might choose not to say “Holy” anything.

My mother used to say, “Holy man!” I don’t think she regarded that as sinful.

Thanks, guys! I don’t do it. But was just asking to know for when others are doing it. I feel like since it’s “take the Lord’s name in vain”, it means only one of God’s names. Perhaps for the “Holy” ones, if they are taking the Holy Spirit’s name in vain (which seems very plausible), then it would go against it. Obviously it’s best not the cuss in the first place, but distinguishing is still highly important.

1 Like

Holy Toledo!

You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.

What does this mean? We should fear and love God so that we do not curse, swear, use satanic arts, lie, or deceive by His name, but call upon it in every trouble, pray, praise, and give thanks.

1 Like

I checked the Catechism of the Catholic Church. On the section on the second commandment, it said that the one of the things the commandment means is that we should treat God’s name and the name of the Blessed Mother and the names of the saints with respect. You can read more about it here: https://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c1a2.htm .

About the Father Dave Dwyer Reference

Here is a link to listen to a podcast of his on this commandment:

https://bustedhalo.com/podcasts/245-lords-name-vain-defacing-bible . In the one I listened to, he answered the question with a man so this might be a different episode. Still, I hope he clears up any doubts you might have. I am sure Our Lord is proud of you. I also get offended when I hear the word holy being added to words that aren’t holy.

1 Like

Please what do you mean by

but distinguishing is still highly important.

? Do you mean distinguishing cussing from using the Lord’s name in vain? I once heard a priest, Father Dave Dwyer, say that cussing or swearing is a violation of the 2nd commandment. I was surprised when I didn’t see it talked about in the section on this commandment that the catechism had.

Hello! Please why did you do this?

The thread made me think of a book I read when I was a kid and the main character was always saying “Holy Toledo”.

Just being random

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.