Question: Religious superiors requiring reception of communion in a certain way

Can a religious superior require members of their community (bound by a vow of obedience) to receive communion standing, and/or in the hand?

Please don’t turn this thread into a discussion on how you think people *should *receive- that topic isn’t allowed anymore. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with questions about church law though.

This sounds kind of fishy. Isn’t this a matter that should be up to the direction of the local bishop?

As far as I can tell based on what I have read from the Vatican and the USCCB, the local bishop might be able to insist that people kneel, and he might be able to insist that they receive on the tongue- but he cannot insist that people stand or receive in the hand.

Religious take a vow of obedience to their superiors. This isn’t a vow saying they will follow the doctrines of the Church and the disciplines of their rite- by being in their rite of the Church, they agreed to that- they don’t need to take a religious vow to do that. The religious vow of obedience is something beyond the obedience to the teachings of the Church.

:signofcross:**Fifteen centuries of holy practice by vast multitudes of religious . . . so many they are beyond counting . . . **of the below doctrine on obedience . . . have proven it to be a profoundly rich . . . delightful . . . healthy . . . wholesome . . . rewarding . . . greatly blessed of . . . God . . . **sweet experience of the **Divine . . . for those who have chosen the life of a religious . . .

+:compcoff:
The Holy Rule of Saint Benedict - Chapter 5
Of Obedience

January 22 - May 23 - September 22

The first degree of humility is obedience without delay. This becometh those who, on account of the holy subjection which they have promised, or of the fear of hell, or the glory of life everlasting,

[quote]+ hold nothing dearer than Christ. +

**As soon as anything hath been commanded by the Superior they permit no delay in the execution, as if the matter had been commanded by **God ****Himself. Of these the **Lord **saith: “At the hearing of the ear he hath obeyed Me” (Ps 17[18]:45). And again He saith to the teachers: “He that heareth you heareth Me” (Lk 10:16).

Such as these, therefore, instantly quitting their own work and giving up their own will, with hands disengaged, and leaving unfinished what they were doing, follow up, with the ready step of obedience, the work of command with deeds; and thus, as if in the same moment, both matters – the master’s command and the disciple’s finished work – are, in the swiftness of the fear of God, speedily finished together, whereunto the desire of advancing to eternal life urgeth them. They, therefore, seize upon the narrow way whereof the Lord saith: “Narrow is the way which leadeth to life” (Mt 7:14), so that, not living according to their own desires and pleasures but walking according to the judgment and will of another, they live in monasteries, and desire an Abbot to be over them. Such as these truly live up to the maxim of the Lord in which He saith: **“I came not to do My own will, but the will of Him that sent Me” **(Jn 6:38).

**Ora et Labora **(Pray and Work)
"Glory be to the Father . . . and to the Son . . . and to the Holy Spirit . . . "
:harp:
+
[/quote]

[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+[/RIGHT]

bump

I attended Mass last Sunday at a church I normally do not attend. Prior to Communion, the Priest made an announcement that those receiving the Host were to receive in the hand! Also, while the collection plate was going around, the Priest discouraged hand shaking during the Sign of the Peace, as a precaution against spreading the Swine flu. He encouraged us to show a display of Peace by other appropriate means.

I was taken aback by the no-hand shake announcement given that Swine Flu is pretty much dormant during the hot Summer months. I agree with a previous poster who claimed that a priest is not allowed to dictate how the congregation is to receive the Host.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.