Question to priest

I want to make new year’s party with my girfriend. we will be only together. Of course we will not break 6th commandment! I was told it’s a sin. Is it truth? I ask for answer (especially) priest…Thank you.

I take it you want to spend the night alone with your girlfriend on New Year’s Eve?

I would suggest reading information at [/font]www.pureloveclub.com – they have many great resources for young people.

Second bit of advice, ask your Priest!

You might also wish to privately ask Father Serpa … you can send him a ‘private message’ through this forum. I understand you do not want to sin…however, you also want to avoid the near occasion of sin…talk to your priest.

In two more days you will be “legal”. Becoming and then staying truly moral is a lifelong job. Just by asking, you show a concern for both you and your date… make the right choice and each time the choice is easier to make. (That goes for making the wrong choice too.)

Sin or not, DON’T DO IT!

If you’re looking for an intimate, late-night date, try signing up for midnight adoration! New Year’s day is a holy day of obligation in the states anyway!

[quote=vluvski]Sin or not, DON’T DO IT!

If you’re looking for an intimate, late-night date, try signing up for midnight adoration! New Year’s day is a holy day of obligation in the states anyway!
[/quote]

Not to derail the thread… but is that because it falls on a Sunday this year or is it some other Holy Day?

It is a HDO celebrating the that Mary is the MOTHER OF GOD. In the 5th century it was declared by the Infalable Council of the Church after the heresies going on about Christ only being of a devine nature and not of human nature. They declared that He was born of the Virgin Mary and that she was in fact the Mother of God thereby difinitively establishing Jesus’ devine nature and human nature.

For this reason we set aside this day of Thanksgiving. Hope this helps.

[quote=vluvski]Sin or not, DON’T DO IT!

[/quote]

Ditto :thumbsup:

Isn’t the 6th commandment about not commiting murder? Maybe I am confused here???

[quote=momof3boys]Isn’t the 6th commandment about not commiting murder? Maybe I am confused here???
[/quote]

:slight_smile: No, that is the 5th commandment. The sixth and the ninth commandments are the ones that deal with chastity/purity.

1. You shall not kill.
  2. You shall not commit adultery. (this includes acts against chastity like impure acts and premarital sex)
  3. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife.

Commandments

[quote=momof3boys]Isn’t the 6th commandment about not commiting murder? Maybe I am confused here???
[/quote]

Although all 10 Commandments are the same - Protestants & Catholics number them differently… the 6th Commandment is Do Not Commit Murder for Protestants but for Catholics it’s the Do Not Commit Adultry…

I assume the OP was talking about not committing adultry with his girlfriend (good idea) but just in case he meant murder - that’s NEVER a good idea either. :wink:

LOL :rotfl:

Spending New Years Eve alone with your girlfriend is not a sin (by itself). Just like juggling vials of nitroglycerin won’t kill you - unless you are something less than a perfect juggler.

The New Years thing is the same way. Unless you are already a saint, best avoid the temptation. Find a nice small gathering of friends to attend instead, maybe.

Here is a priest’s answer to a similar question:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=77145&highlight=night+hotel+room

don’t forget, you are responsible for the example you present to others. If you are not chaperoned, some might assume that you are engaged in immoral activity. Anyone who looks up to you as a good Catholic might think that it is okay to imitate you. It is very important not to give scandal to others who might be influenced to do sin. Also, remember that in your act of contrition, you promise to avoid the near occasion of sin! It is prideful to think you will not be tempted or fall to temptation. Better safe than sorry. :slight_smile:

[quote=carol marie]Although all 10 Commandments are the same - Protestants & Catholics number them differently… the 6th Commandment is Do Not Commit Murder for Protestants but for Catholics it’s the Do Not Commit Adultry…

I assume the OP was talking about not committing adultry with his girlfriend (good idea) but just in case he meant murder - that’s NEVER a good idea either. :wink:
[/quote]

I think there’s a lot of protestant (Lutherans for sure) that use the Catholic/Jewish 10 commandments.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.