Question

Hey all,

I had a question regarding the sacraments. I was baptised Roman Catholic and I made my communion in the Roman Catholic Church but then I stopped going unfortunately. Although I ceased church attendance, I have always and still do consider myself a Catholic. However, I never made my confirmation and I kind of regret that now looking back. My question is, is it possible to make my confirmation now at age 18? I feel confident that I want to go back to the Catholic Church and since I already was baptised and made my communion I’m already ahead of the game. If it is possible, how would I go about doing so?

Thanks so much in advanced,
Joe :slight_smile:

Yes, certainly, you can complete your sacraments of initiation by receiving Confirmation.

You will need to go to Confession in order to resume the sacramental life (i.e. go to confession for all your serious sins while away from the Church including the sin of leaving the Church and not attending Mass and then you can resume taking Communion at Mass).

To be confirmed, you should talk to your priest. There are typically classes for adult Catholics who have not yet been confirmed. It’s usually about 6 meetings or so where you receive instruction on the Sacrament of Confirmation. They are typically in the springtime and then the adults will either be confirmed by the Bishop or in some diocese the Bishop will give the priests the ability to confirm the adults in their own parishes.

So, step one, make an appointment with your local parish priest.

Welcome home!

Thank you, it is truly good to be home. Thanks for explaining too it is really good to hear I can be confirmed. After looking back I cannot understand why I left. The Catholic Church stands for most of what I believe and it is my home. Thanks again :smiley:

Welcome home!

Thank you and God bless

Welcome home!

As 1ke says, you can certainly be Confirmed still :smiley:

You might want to make an appointment with your priest to make your Confession however, having been away from the Church for a while.

Peace

jtoh,

welcome back!! after reading your post, I was so moved by your inner strength and courage to let the Holy Spirit move you closer and closer to Jesus. Just remember everything you did in the past ( with Jesus) led you to right where you are supposed to be right now, back in the Body of Christ ( Mother Church) with the Body and Blood of Christ in the most holy sacrament of the altar (Eucharist), and in our Baptism with water, and our Confirmation of the Holy Spirit we can serve our Lord and our God by being the best disciples we can be FOR GOD, FOR JESUS, AND FOR THE HOLY SPIRIT from the inside out. PRAISE BE CHRIST JESUS!!!
t:thumbsup:

Thank you very much. I think I will do that since I would like to get back into it as soon as possible.

Thank you so much! :smiley: God bless!!

this year over 600 Catholic adults will be confirmed by the bishop in this diocese, and similar story in every other diocese. You don’t have to wait however to return to Christ and full communion with His Church. Return to confession and communion this week and ask the pastor about confirmation classes for adults.

welcome home, by this time tomorrow I am praying you will be back to tell us you made an appointment at the closest Catholic Church for confession and will be back at Mass the next day.

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

Welcome home, since it’s been a while, making an appointment with you local priest/parish is recommended for confesion. Also get a hold of your RCIA leader and explain the situation. God Bless

Thank you :slight_smile: I plan on making a call to the Church at which I made my communion since that Church still has my family down as Parishoners and we get mail from them on a regular basis.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.