Question

When I married in the Catholic Church 6 years ago, we were required to each have witnesses sign a form in front of a priest stating regarding our intentions to marry. We had to have this done about a month before our marriage. We both had our parents as out witnesses. Since then, my in-laws (non-catholic) have continued to bring it up and they are angry and disagree with this form. We cant even remember what was on the form or why we needed to fill out this form in the first place. I am hoping someone has any insight into where I can get a copy of this form or explain to me why this form is necessary. I am just trying to understand why my in laws are still so angry with us over the form aftr 6 years.

Thanks

[quote="michellelynne82, post:1, topic:307725"]
When I married in the Catholic Church 6 years ago, we were required to each have witnesses sign a form in front of a priest stating regarding our intentions to marry. We had to have this done about a month before our marriage. We both had our parents as out witnesses. Since then, my in-laws (non-catholic) have continued to bring it up and they are angry and disagree with this form. We cant even remember what was on the form or why we needed to fill out this form in the first place. I am hoping someone has any insight into where I can get a copy of this form or explain to me why this form is necessary. I am just trying to understand why my in laws are still so angry with us over the form aftr 6 years.

Thanks

[/quote]

It sounds like a marriage certificate, possibly a civil one, possibly the parish's record of your marriage. In either case, the witnesses have to sign it to attest to the validity of the marriage. I'm not sure why they would be angry about it, it's a fairly standard bit of paperwork.

-ACEGC

[quote="michellelynne82, post:1, topic:307725"]

Thanks

[/quote]

Shorten yout text and re-submit that question here; forums.catholic.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=84

Were either of you immigrants? That can require signing of intent to marry.
It isn't helpful to anyone to retain resentment, especially over something that is not relevant to the present. My prayer that your parents-in-law will overcome this resentment.

ask the priest who married you.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.