Questionable calls by referees in the 2010 World Cup what impact will it have on the future?

What do you guys think about all the mistakes the referees are making? At first I thought that the referees could be trusted because I assumed that the best referees would be used since this is the World Cup after all but seeing the mistake they made in both games today specially that goal for Argentina I've changed my position and I think that now the US was cheated out of a win. What do you guys think is causing this problem? I wonder why in the world they don't want to use replays? I don't understand what is going on here. This is my first World Cup so I have to ask are these types of mistakes normal for the World Cup? what should be done to address these issues and do you think they will recur in future world cups?

There is nothing new about bad calls. Refereeing decisions are always bad. I have been following the sport for 14 years and every week there are several controversial calls that result in bad results for the team the call went against. I think video replay should be used. However, the problem becomes how to use it in a sport where the clock never stops. Soccer has never had natural stoppages of the clock and game and time outs like in other sports. You cant have every call be challenged. If you have goal line technology, offsides technology and handball technology you will then be forced into it for diving calls on fouls, cards given out, corner and goal kicks as well as throw-ins. If you do use technology it has to be limited because it would slow the game down and the game would become a litigation instead of a game. I think they need to develop a ball that sends a signal to the four official when it crosses the line. This technology is possible and will be better than camera technology. I dont think there is a simple answer. Part of me says that bad calls are a part of the game and good teams can overcome bad calls. Another part of me says that limited use of technology is a good thing. I think you could use a ball with sensors on it that detect when it crosses the line and use replay camera for offsides call. Normally there is enough delay between goal scored and re-start for a guy in the replay booth to look at it. I dont think you can completely take out the human element. As much as it sucks I dont think phantom sending offs and botched penalty calls will ever go away even with the best training possible. Goal line and offside technology is easier since the human element is much more difficult in spotting this. I also think that technology can be used after the fact to punish divers. If a player is caught diving, he gets suspended 1 match. If another player on the team gets caught by camera, the team losses 2 points from the table whether in league play, qualifiers or world cup.

Interesting argument I've only been a soccer fan for a season and a half so this is my first World Cup. I follow a Turkish team and I know that bad calls are a huge problem there. A lot of Turkish fans think it is because referees don't get paid enough and I think referees in Turkey are the lowest in Europe. Yeah I never thought about the clock never stopping but I was thinking if they used replay they would just add it on like they do with injuries. I completely agree with you that it would be impractical to use it for every call but I was thinking that it could be used for the more controversial calls like the offside Argentine goal today or the goals that were disallowed for the USA and England. I like your idea of using cameras to stop inappropriate tackles especially those sliding tackles that are so dangerous and cause so many injuries. I bet you if your system was in place that would be far fewer of those. I also agree that you will never take human error out of the game unless of course you somehow create robot referees:D but I just wonder if psychologically that first goal that was given to Argentina seemed to really kill Mexico mentally and they were never able to recover. But I think what you said is also correct because a good team should be able to overcome a bad call. In a sense looking back at it I think the USA did just that. Anyway thanks for sharing your opinion it's always nice to learn things from experienced fans.

[quote="Aydan, post:3, topic:203497"]
I like your idea of using cameras to stop inappropriate tackles especially those sliding tackles that are so dangerous and cause so many injuries.

[/quote]

I was talking about diving, flopping, whatever you want to call it. Diving is a major reason why calls are so difficult. If you take out the diving and complaining from the game I think there would be fewer bad calls since the referees would have less of a difficult job to do. Its difficult in the heat of the moment to determine if a player was taken down or if he is simulating. UEFA tried to punish Eduardo of Arsenal when he dived against Celtic but it didnt work so well since Arsenal supporters didnt find it so fair. I think though that in the future banning divers will be effective if that policy is known before the match is played. It will curtail that kind of cheating.

Do you support Galatasaray? Besiktas? Fenerbahce?

[quote="mjs1987, post:4, topic:203497"]
I was talking about diving, flopping, whatever you want to call it. Diving is a major reason why calls are so difficult. If you take out the diving and complaining from the game I think there would be fewer bad calls since the referees would have less of a difficult job to do. Its difficult in the heat of the moment to determine if a player was taken down or if he is simulating. UEFA tried to punish Eduardo of Arsenal when he dived against Celtic but it didnt work so well since Arsenal supporters didnt find it so fair. I think though that in the future banning divers will be effective if that policy is known before the match is played. It will curtail that kind of cheating.

Do you support Galatasaray? Besiktas? Fenerbahce?

[/quote]

oh I see what you're saying now see I told you I'm still learning:o. I'm a Fenerbahçe fanatic.:)

Aydan, you created you own thread, nice… If I not mistaken, so far FIFA WORLD CUP never use video tech. FIFA depends on referees. Argentina vs Mexico. 1st goal, clearly off side, don’t know how many fit off side. 2nd goal, bad Mexico defender. 3th goal, unstoppable. But Argentine played nice football…

[quote="jedi, post:6, topic:203497"]
Aydan, you created you own thread, nice.. If I not mistaken, so far FIFA WORLD CUP never use video tech. FIFA depends on referees. Argentina vs Mexico. 1st goal, clearly off side, don't know how many fit off side. 2nd goal, bad Mexico defender. 3th goal, unstoppable. But Argentine played nice football....

[/quote]

You're right they don't use it. In fact I saw an interview on television yesterday and I found out why. The FIFA president doesn't like it at all. Oh yes Argentina played a good game and the second and third goal were absolutely fine. It seems like Mexico became angry after the first goal and their anger caused them to make silly mistakes.
Yes I thought it would be better just to make my own rather then continue fighting with Julius. For me religion plays an important role in everything I do including football. I did not like the fact that Julius fights with everyone that disagrees with him. This is a Catholic web site we are here because of our religion. I don't think Julius has the right to tell me I can't talk about religion just because he doesn't want to talk about it. I don't like fighting so I just left.

[quote="Aydan, post:7, topic:203497"]
You're right they don't use it. In fact I saw an interview on television yesterday and I found out why. The FIFA president doesn't like it at all. Oh yes Argentina played a good game and the second and third goal were absolutely fine. It seems like Mexico became angry after the first goal and their anger caused them to make silly mistakes.
Yes I thought it would be better just to make my own rather then continue fighting with Julius. For me religion plays an important role in everything I do including football. I did not like the fact that Julius fights with everyone that disagrees with him. This is a Catholic web site we are here because of our religion. I don't think Julius has the right to tell me I can't talk about religion just because he doesn't want to talk about it. I don't like fighting so I just left.

[/quote]

FIFA president said: he will consider video replay but don't know next Brasile World Cup 2014 will be valid. Yes, Mexican lost their concentration due to the off side goal. Mexico should forget about the first goal and move forward but too late now. Argentina played attacking football, good to watch, nice..
Correct, this is Catholic web site. Sorry to say that, I don't support Turkey team. I think you should know why I don't support..... No offend.... (Like you say, this is Catholic web site)...
Good news: Paraguay beat Japan in shoot out... Hooray..... thank Lord....

[quote="jedi, post:8, topic:203497"]
FIFA president said: he will consider video replay but don't know next Brasile World Cup 2014 will be valid. Yes, Mexican lost their concentration due to the off side goal. Mexico should forget about the first goal and move forward but too late now. Argentina played attacking football, good to watch, nice..
Correct, this is Catholic web site. Sorry to say that, I don't support Turkey team. I think you should know why I don't support..... No offend.... (Like you say, this is Catholic web site)...
Good news: Paraguay beat Japan in shoot out... Hooray..... thank Lord....

[/quote]

I'm not offended you don't like Turkey it would be boring if everyone liked the same team or country.:) That was an amazing goal by Spain they were very lucky today. I'm so happy for you that Paraguay won!:thumbsup:

[quote="Aydan, post:9, topic:203497"]
I'm not offended you don't like Turkey it would be boring if everyone liked the same team or country.:) That was an amazing goal by Spain they were very lucky today. I'm so happy for you that Paraguay won!:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Ya, Paraguay won. Now Paraguay have to face Espana, I think Spain is the better side, they played short passing very good. I personally think Spain will win, yes Spain will win.

Quarter Final match, I pick: Brazil, Uruguay, Argentian and Spain...... (all good latin football team) Best.....:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.