Questioning additional reasoning on why it is a mortal sin to miss mass

I understand why not going to mass is a sin. My priest explained it to me the various reasons why.

My question is more geared towards the business standpoint of the catholic organization.

My question is… Does the Catholic Church “ALSO” state that it is a mortal sin not to go church to try to earn a profit from potential offerings?

I ask this question because in the past (to my understanding according to my highschool education) I was taught that the Catholic Church in the past used to make people pay money to get their loved ones out of purgatory (which was on of the reasons which sparked the Protestant Reformation). I understand they stopped this corruption.

Please let me know if you need any clarifications on my question.. I understand if it make be hard to understand. 

I am Catholic and I don’t mean to offend anyone. I am questioning a lot about the business stand point of the church, not necessarily the moral stand point.

At the end of the day, the Catholic church is a non profit organization and although it’s main focus isn’t earning a profit, they need a profit to remain open.

1 Like

I think that such a view, if ingrained, would tend to be rather mercenary. There are 5 precepts of the Catholic faith. Only 5. Here they are, and kindly note that support of the Church and its mission - the last of the precepts - should not have to be a requirement, but sadly must be.

In order to nourish the moral and liturgical life of the Body of Christ, Mother Church has established five positive laws, decreed by the pastoral authorities, which are meant to identify the minimum spiritual commitment required of the faithful. These five laws are known as The Precepts of the Church and are found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, citations 2041-43.

1. “You shall attend Mass on Sundays and on holy days of obligation and rest from servile labor.” The faithful are required to attend the celebration of the Eucharist every Lord’s Day (Saturday vigil or Sunday Mass) and the holy days of obligation as established in the liturgical calendar, unless excused for a serious reason [i.e. illness or the care of infants]. CCC 1388-9, 2042, 2043, 2177, 2180, 2185; 2187-8; 2192-3.
  2. “You shall confess your sins at least once a year.” CCC 1457; 2042
  3. “You shall receive the sacrament of the Eucharist at least during the Easter season.” CCC 1389; 2042
  4. “You shall observe the prescribed days of fasting and abstinence established by the Church.” CCC 2043; 2177
  5. “You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church, each according to his own ability.” CCC 1351; 1387; 1438; 2043

CCC# 2177: The Sunday celebration of the Lord’s Day and his Eucharist is the heart of the Church’s life. “Sunday is the day on which the paschal mystery celebrated in light of the apostolic tradition and is to be observed as the foremost holy day of obligation in the universal Church” [quotation from Canon Law: Codex Iuris Canonici, can.1246, art. 1].

2 Likes

Missing Mass has nothing to do with money. Mass is our obeying the Commandment to keep holy the Lord’s Day, to give God our time for all He’s given us each and every day. It is the closest we get to Heaven while still here on Earth.

4 Likes

I also have questions on whether it is mortal to be like 2-5 minutes late for mass. The Fr. Altier and Redemptorist Examination of Conscience say different things.

The reason why missing mass on the days of obbligation has 100% to do about giving GOD what we owe HIM.
Mass is the equivalent but much more important sacrifice that was offered by the High Priest in the Temple of Jerusalem when they slain animals. Back then the blood of the animals were burnt on the Altar.
Today and since Jesus instituted the Eucharist we offer the unbloody sacrifice of Himself.
No more killing required but we offer the real blood and real body of Jesus Himself at every mass but specially on days of obbligation when the faithful convene at church to participate in that sacrifice.
Yes we offer our support for the running of our Church through our monetary contributions but that is NOT the principal motive why we are there,
Peace!

2 Likes

That’s hilarious.

You should ask for your money back on your high school education.

The Church is not a business.

2 Likes

That is not true. I do hope this wasn’t a Catholic high school.

Since no one is required to give money every time they attend Mass, how would that work?

@ The OP:
No, the Church does not require Mass attendance in order to get money.
The abusive practice you mention (and it was an abuse) happened about eight or nine centuries ago, and was ended by the Church at that time.

Bolding in the following quote is mine.

You contradict yourself.

There was a misunderstanding about indulgences by some Protestants a long time ago. No amount of money offered can buy anyone’s way out of Purgatory.

10 Likes
2 Likes

Most people will give something. There is certainly a better chance of getting money out of someone when they are there.

1 Like

The Church is in need of charity - love. Love is sacrifice. The Church does not make a profit - she needs operating funds. She needs to provide for the poor, sick and starving.

“Who do you love?”
-Bo Diddely.

For those who are able to attend, missing mass means that you love the world more than your love God. Action speaks louder than words. Is that a good message? Is that a good thing?

I had a Lutheran co-worker tell me that very thing and that’s why Martin Luther left the Catholic Church and that in doing so began the founding of MANY MANY MANY Protestant Churches. But Martin Luther had bigger issues than indulgences to blame for him leaving the Catholic Church .

2 Likes

That doesn’t mean the purpose of Mass is to get money. Nor does it mean that anyone is coerced or pressured to give.

There’s a better chance that I’ll give a handout to a panhandler if I shop at locations where panhandlers hang out. Does that mean the purpose of the store is to feed panhandlers?

Fundamentally, attending mass is about growth in our relationship with God - particularly (although not just) through reception of the eucharist - to become like Him. Is there a financial aspect? Sure; there’s an obvious connection between the number of people at mass and the amount my parish receives in the collection. We need to pay the bills to keep the lights on, the sacristy cupboard stocked and pay my (modest) stipend (if I went into priesthood for the money I’d be pretty disappointed by now). I’d also add that we collect food for the foodbank as well as money!

Of course, we don’t just want to break even, it’s important to have money aside in case of unforeseen expenses but, besides this, development is important too. At the same time, the Catholic Church is actually a lot less money-driven than other denominations, in part because of its professional (and celibate) clergy but also because its size enables wealthier parishes to support poorer ones. If simply making money for the sake of it (in other words, greed) was the aim then this would certainly be sinful. However, simply making a profit by itself is morally neutral; what matters is the purposes to which that profit is put.

This was never an “official” teaching but it certainly did happen - albeit some 500 years ago. It’s partly because of this experience that there are now strict rules around donations and money received for things like mas intentions.

3 Likes

Only thing I’d add to this is Scripture. Where your treasure is there will your heart be.

1 Like

It was not a catholic school but I learned it from an ap world history class which also taught world religions.

I apologize if you didn’t understand how I wrote that. (I’m not the best at explaining)
What I meant was a nonprofit organization doesn’t have a set goal on earning money. But in order to operate and pay rent and do things such as give back to the organization it needs money.

Thank you for answering my question, I appreciate it.

Thank you for answering this… it has helped me a lot!!

1 Like

I believe Martin Luther suffered from severe scrupulosity and he was trying to escape it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.