Questioning Faith

I’m starting to question the existence of god and the actions of Jesus. What logical facts are there to support the existence of god, the truth in the bible, and the existence of Jesus’ actions. Thank you for your time

Hi GiantRobots :slight_smile:

May I ask what some of the questions are?

Lots. :slight_smile:

May I ask, have you done much spiritual reading? e.g. The Gospels, the Saints etc?

In any case, I hope you don’t mind if I share with you some apologetics on the existance of God that I have enjoyed.

I believe without God, the words true or false simply become meaningless, so the question I ask the atheist, is if there is no God, why do you believe it to be true?

I believe to follow the concept of a purely material universe to it’s logical conclusion, pulls the rug out from under the New Atheists. As John Lennox say’s, If as they claim, there is nothing in the universe except matter and energy, some of which blindly and randomly evolved into the human mind, then how can we rely on our minds in the first place to arrive at this conclusion? Our minds are themselves, according to this Darwinian view, mere random purposeless movements of atoms, unable to recognise truth, or beauty, or goodness, to know anything, or to do science for that matter.

And yet other scientists of undisputed intellectual stature with diametrically opposed views concur that, ‘The reason why what is in my little mind can understand a bit of what is out there is because both of them are traceable back to the same grand designer.’

C.S. Lewis I believe also explains it very well.

*“Supposing there was no intelligence behind the universe, no creative mind. In that case, nobody designed my brain for the purpose of thinking. It is merely that when the atoms inside my skull happen, for physical or chemical reasons, to arrange themselves in a certain way, this gives me, as a by-product, the sensation I call thought. But, if so, how can I trust my own thinking to be true? It’s like upsetting a milk jug and hoping that the way it splashes itself will give you a map of London. But if I can’t trust my own thinking, of course I can’t trust the arguments leading to Atheism, and therefore have no reason to be an Atheist, or anything else. Unless I believe in God, I cannot believe in thought: so I can never use thought to disbelieve in God.” *- C.S. Lewis

*The theory that thought is merely a movement in the brain is, in my opinion, nonsense; for if so, that theory itself would be merely a movement, an event among atoms, which may have speed and direction but of which it would be meaningless to use the words ‘true’ or ‘false’. *C.S. Lewis

And I believe John Lennox also explains it well.

*The very fact that we do science, means we believe that the universe is rationally intelligible. Why does a scientist believe it is rationally intelligible? Atheism tells us that the human mind is the human brain and it’s the end product of a mindless unguided process, why should I believe anything it tells me if that’s the case? Whereas theism tells me that there is intelligence behind the universe and behind the human mind which fits perfectly with science.

In fact the rise of science in the 16th and 17th century came about because people expected law in nature, because they believed in the Law giver (God). So science and faith in God fit perfectly together.* - John Lennox

Thus I believe it’s not science and theism that are in conflict as some atheists claim, but rather science and atheism that are in conflict, because I believe atheism cannot trust the cognitive faculties we use to do science, as C.S. Lewis say’s atheism and science is like expecting the accidental shape taken by the splash when you upset a milk jug should give you a correct account of how the jug was made and why it was upset.

Thus I believe by denying God, the honest skeptic becomes skeptical of his skepticism.

I also like this quote from C.S. Lewis -

Please continue to next post -

And this one by John Lennox regarding the ‘God of the Gaps’ idea, as if God is an explanation for what we can’t explain yet -

John Lennox - “Be careful not to confuse scientific statements with statements by scientists.”

I also like this quote from C.S. Lewis -

“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

I believe It’s the same with God, instead of trying to look at the sun, turn around and have a look at all that the sun illuminates for you. I believe many people are like that when it comes to God, they try to stare into the sun and say *“I can’t see anything”, *instead of looking around at what the sun illuminates for them. (Thus the importance of spiritual reading such as the Gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and the Saints etc).

I would also like to ecnourage you to read the two books linked in my signature if you can, as I believe they will help you greatly regarding your doubts.

Please continue to next post -

I hope you don’t mind, but I have quoted an extract out of Timothy Keller’s book “Reason for belief” on the Historical Accuracy of the Gospels that I believe may help you -

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

I would also like to make specific mention of the Eucharistic miracle of Sokólka, Poland October 12, 2008.

Poland -

Sokólka, October 12, 2008 (Part 1) – (PDF: 1.41M)
Sokólka, October 12, 2008 (Part 2) – (PDF: 1.31M)
Sokólka, October 12, 2008 (Part 3) – (PDF: 1.41M)

And for more - Eucharistic Miracles of the World

Matthew 7:7
Search, and you will find.

The Sacred Heart Image (St Margaret-Mary Alacoque) -

http://s7.postimg.org/4jx43bm1n/Christ_7.jpg

This is the revelation which took place in June 1675 when St Margaret Mary was adoring the Blessed Sacrament (The Holy Eucharist). Our Lord said to her:

**"Behold this Heart, Which has loved men so much, that It has spared nothing, even to exhausting **(Crucifixion) **and consuming Itself, **(Last Supper, Eucharist) **in order to testify to them Its love; and in return I receive from the greater number nothing but ingratitude by reason of their irreverence and sacrileges, and by the coldness and contempt which they show Me in this Sacrament of Love. **(Referring to how people treat His real presence in the Holy Eucharist). But what I feel the most keenly is that it is hearts which are consecrated to Me that treat Me thus. Therefore, I ask of thee that the Friday after the Octave of Corpus Christi be set apart for a special feast to honour My Heart, by communicating on that day and making reparation to It by a solemn act, in order to make amends for the indignities which It has received during the time It has been exposed on the altars. I promise thee that My Heart shall expand Itself to shed in abundance the influence of Its divine love upon those who shall thus honour It, and cause It to be honoured."

What I also find interesting, is this revelation occurred in 1675 before any Eucharistic Miracle could be scientifically studied as thoroughly as the one above has, and in the Eucharistic Miracle above, we find that it is not just any human tissue, but more specific heart muscle tissue (Cardiac muscle tissue).

I hope this has helped

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

Check out The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel! It walks through the reasons why the Bible is reliable (I learned a TON) and why Christ must have done what the Bible says He did. It’s also a pretty easy read–the language is not rigorous, but it has a lot of great info!

If you want to physically experience the existence of Jesus’ actions, who is the God of the Bible & the Universe, look deeper into the Mass. Here are some ways the Mass is coming to life for me:

The Mass as Holy Week (The Passion, Crucifixion, and Resurrection of Jesus)
Setting:
The Sanctuary (Tabernacle, Altar, and Ambo) is Jerusalem.
The Host of the event is Jesus, and he appears as bread & wine, the crucifix, the priest, and servers of the Mass.

The Actions of Jesus:
In the procession of the Mass, Jesus (priest) processes into Jerusalem (Sanctuary) on Palm Sunday.
During the readings and homily, Jesus (lectors) preaches in Jerusalem.
Just before the offering is brought forth, Jesus (Crucifix) hides to prepare for Crucifixion in the Garden of Gethsemane (entrance).
When the offering is brought forth, the Roman Soldiers (gift-bearers) bring Jesus (bread & wine) to High-Priest & Pontius Pilate (priest).
When the wine is handed to the deacon, Pontius (priest) has the soldiers (deacon) shed Jesus’ blood (wine) in the scourging (into the Chalice).
When the priest washes his hands, Pontius (priest) washes his hands.
When the priest breaks the bread, Jesus is crucified and dies.
When the priest consumes the bread and wine, Jesus is resurrected.

The Mass as the Last Supper in the Upper Room

AND the Mass as the Marriage Supper of the Lamb or the Revelation of Jesus Christ
For more details on the Mass as Saint John’s Vision in the Book of Revelations, I recommend listening to “The Lamb’s Supper” by Dr. Scott Hahn --> youtube.com/watch?v=E6kghYDZ2aQ&hd=1

Thanks for sharing your questions.

Fabulous job of apologetics Josh! Would you be offended if I copied it so I could post it to a friend of mine who is somewhere between atheist and agnostic?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Not at all, I would be more than happy for you to copy it. Thank you :slight_smile:

God Bless

Josh

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.