Questions about Confession

Why must you tell the priest how long it has been since your last Confession?

Where did the process of Confession come from or the history behind it? Like who said, "This is how Confession is going to go, one walks in says, “Forgive me Father for I have sinned, it has been…since my last Confession.” etc.

Why are the confessionals in a closet like structure? I know at my Church they are not like that anymore but I was just curious.

Any input?

Thanks in advance

This will answer some of your questions.
catholic.com/library/Forgiveness_of_Sins.asp
Giving the priest some information about you to work with (like how long it has been since your last confession) is helpful for the process. Things like that are enablers that foster understanding and communication for both you and the priest.

Suppose someone comes into the Confessional and says only, “Father, since my last confession, I’ve had an evil thought about someone.”

Now if it has been only a week or so since the last confession, the priest will probably grant absolution without much further considration. But if the priest knows the person has not confessed in five years, he will probably probe deeper to make sure the individual is making a good confession.

That’s why the priest needs to know. It is for the benefit of the penetint.

Because a good priest is truly interested in the state of you soul before God.If you haven’t been to mass in two years in comparison to someone who has attended regularly, yet has committed mortal sin, the two case are dramatically different and must be approached as such. This is why Father needs to know how long it was since your last confession. Also Father gives you needed penance to do, depending on the nature of your sins. I hope this helps you.

Christ gave us the sacrament. The Church administers the sacrament and the ritual, and the practices surrounding the sacrament may change over the course of years. Here is a detailed article about the sacrament of confession.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.