Questions about Confession

When I had my first Confession on the 13th, I think I forgot to mention how many times I committed a particular sin. I don't remember the exact amount; I only remember that it was many times. When I go to Confession again, do I need to mention this sin again and say that it was committed many times?

Also, for another sin, I said I committed it many times, but I think I forgot to mention when the last time I committed this sin was. When I go to Confession again, do I need to mention this sin again, how many times it was committed, and when the last time was? Same with the one listed above. I forgot to mention when the last time I committed that one was as well.

Also, when I go to Confession again, can I go to a different Parish where the priest doesn’t know me?

[quote="MyPseudonym, post:1, topic:319865"]
When I had my first Confession on the 13th, I think I forgot to mention how many times I committed a particular sin. I don't remember the exact amount; I only remember that it was many times. When I go to Confession again, do I need to mention this sin again and say that it was committed many times?

Also, for another sin, I said I committed it many times, but I think I forgot to mention when the last time I committed this sin was. When I go to Confession again, do I need to mention this sin again, how many times it was committed, and when the last time was? Same with the one listed above. I forgot to mention when the last time I committed that one was as well.

[/quote]

Question 1. I think that the priest should have asked for the number if it was a mortal sin. Your confession is valid since you forgot. I don't know if you need to repeat the same sin to confession again.

Question 2. You are fine. Don't worry about it. I have never been asked to say when the last time I committed a sin was (even at EWTN). I have never read that this is a rule. You are supposed to confess mortal sins in kind and number (if you can't remember the number give an approximate like you have been doing). :)

[quote="MyPseudonym, post:2, topic:319865"]
Also, when I go to Confession again, can I go to a different Parish where the priest doesn't know me?

[/quote]

Sure! :thumbsup: You may go to confession with any priest that is Catholic. I sometimes go to EWTN's daily confession.

[quote="Zekariya, post:3, topic:319865"]
Question 1. I think that the priest should have asked for the number if it was a mortal sin. Your confession is valid since you forgot. I don't know if you need to repeat the same sin to confession again.

Question 2. You are fine. Don't worry about it. I have never been asked to say when the last time I committed a sin was (even at EWTN). I have never read that this is a rule. You are supposed to confess mortal sins in kind and number (if you can't remember the number give an approximate like you have been doing). :)

Sure! :thumbsup: You may go to confession with any priest that is Catholic. I sometimes go to EWTN's daily confession.

[/quote]

Thank you for your response. :)

[quote="MyPseudonym, post:4, topic:319865"]
Thank you for your response. :)

[/quote]

Glad to be of some help. :thumbsup:

:slight_smile:

And I have yet another question.

Do I have to confess my most serious sins first or can I start with less serious sins first?

[quote="MyPseudonym, post:6, topic:319865"]
:)

And I have yet another question.

Do I have to confess my most serious sins first or can I start with less serious sins first?

[/quote]

There is no rule about this. However, I find it best to confess my mortal sins first, that way, if the priest is busy and can't hear all of my confession (many people have spoken about this on these forums), he still heard all of the mortal sins which is all that is required to be confessed.

Long lines and Mass starting soon can cause confessions to be cut short of the person is going on and on about venial sins which are not required to be confessed.

[quote="Zekariya, post:7, topic:319865"]
There is no rule about this. However, I find it best to confess my mortal sins first, that way, if the priest is busy and can't hear all of my confession (many people have spoken about this on these forums), he still heard all of the mortal sins which is all that is required to be confessed.

Long lines and Mass starting soon can cause confessions to be cut short of the person is going on and on about venial sins which are not required to be confessed.

[/quote]

Thanks!

[quote="MyPseudonym, post:2, topic:319865"]
when I go to Confession again, can I go to a different Parish where the priest doesn't know me?

[/quote]

Sure, any priest can do.

But it's a very, very bad idea to change confessor out of shame, etc. If you strive for holiness, stick with one confessor, and the feeling of discomfort will purify you as fire. I know by experience...works great.

[quote="R_C, post:9, topic:319865"]
Sure, any priest can do.

But it's a very, very bad idea to change confessor out of shame, etc. If you strive for holiness, stick with one confessor, and the feeling of discomfort will purify you as fire. I know by experience...works great.

[/quote]

Well the priest I went to last time was only there because it was a communal Penance service. He isn't the priest at my Parish.

[quote="R_C, post:9, topic:319865"]
Sure, any priest can do.

[/quote]

I agree!

Also, the more that the physician (priest) knows you, the better he can treat your illness (sin).

[quote="MyPseudonym, post:10, topic:319865"]
Well the priest I went to last time was only there because it was a communal Penance service. He isn't the priest at my Parish.

[/quote]

Ooh, ok then! :) To me those thoughts come often, though :blush: That's why I posted that.

It is very good to have a regular confessor, but there is no general recommendation that you choose a priest who knows you. On the contrary, I have read and heard several times that it is normal to feel embarrassment confessing to a priest who knows us and, on this account, we may prefer another priest. However, if you can overcome your embarrassment then it is more practical to make your parish priest your regular confessor, and will save you some driving.

I have found that confessing to a priest who knows me has got easier the longer I've been in the Church. For a newcomer, I'd almost recommend (mildly) that you choose another priest until you have got used to confession.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.