Questions About Douay-Rheims Version

To the OP. Have you ever considered the Confraternity Edition? It’s sometimes overlooked. This translation was done by the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine. The New Testament is a revision to the Douay-Rheims, and was originally released back in 1941. It is a very beautiful translation that has more modern English, while still keeping with beautiful poetic language.

The Confraternity was working on a revision to the Old Testament, and I heard it was 80% complete by the time Pope Pius XII issued his famous encyclical Divino Aflante Spiritu. By a narrow vote the Confraternity decided to scrap their work on revising the Douay-Rheims and start over from translating from the original languages.

The story about the Confraternity Edition gets really interesting from after that.

The Confraternity Edition was released and re-released as more books got translated. Typically any Confraternity Bible from 1951 and earlier will contain the Confraternity New Testament, and the Douay Old Testament. Later released versions will have some books of the Old Testament translated from the original languages. So you got a hybrid mix of the Vulgate and the original languages there.

But the Confraternity New Testament was entirely translated from the Vulgate (being a revision of the Douay-Rheims).

I love the Confraternity New Testament, it is my favorite translation of the New Testament, and I own a couple of vintage Confraternity Bibles.

Sadly the Confraternity Bible has long been out of print, so you will have to look on sites like eBay for vintage copies.

Another good Vulgate translation done in the 20th century is the Knox Version. It was a translation of the Vulgate done entirely by Monsignor Ronald Knox, and this was a favorite of Venerable Fulton Sheen.

I thought the KJV was infkuenced strongly by the Caxton Bible, with some use of the older sources to address inadequacies of the Caxton version. As far as I know, Caxton was working from the Vulgate.

The Confraternity Edition bcame the NAB. The original NAB had Genesis translated from he Hebrew and he NT from the Greek. (The Wikipedia article actually says the revised NT from the 80s “restored traditional phraseology” and “bore a much closer resemblance to the confraternity version of 1941.”)

The current NABRE has that second edition NT, along with new translations from the Hebrew (or Greek) of the OT.

It very well may have been, I’m not sure. I’m not exactly a KJV scholar.

It is usually understood as meaning in the sixth month of her pregnancy. Only a small minority, I think, claim it means the sixth month of the Jewish calendar year.

You can type your post on Word, using Insert Symbol, and then cut and paste to post it here.

That’s the first Bible my family owned. One of my favourites along with Douay-Rheims and RSV-CE

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.