Questions about Faiths/Beliefs/Traditions of the Roman Catholic Church and other Christian Denominations

Dear Catholic Answers,

How are you?

I hope that you all are having a happy Christmas and spending time with your family and friends.

I have a question regarding a Christian pledge.

Yesterday in a church of another Christian denomination, I was watching and hearing young children reciting the Allegiance of the Christian Bible pledge. I have also heard this in the 2006 documentary called Jesus Camp that I did for a final paper in my documentary class. I would like to do know why do the Christian denominations have this type of pledge and how is it different about from the Nicine creed, the Apostles Creed, and other creeds in the Catholic Church? I am familiar with the Catholic beliefs and saying. I am intending one day to convert to Catholicism.

I tried to get an answer from my father about the pledge. He is formerly Catholic and made have left the church for another Christian denomination (Pentecostal/Evangelical) or stop being Catholic many many many years ago probably in the 1980s. He was unable to explain the real reason why he left the church (If he had stayed with the Church, my brother and I would have been most likely be Catholic and learn more about the faith and traditions within the home besides the church.) He told me that the priests and the nuns (he called them "sisters) uses and recites the Allegiance of the Christian Bible pledge.

He then proceeds to explain the process of conversion and tradition of the Catholic Church as if I know nothing about it, which I do know a lot about the Catholic Church and their teachings. I am not getting that in the current Christian denomination that I was born in and God is leading to the Catholic Church and I miss attending mass and partaking in the Catholic traditions.

I would like to know is what my father said to me is true? Why does the church do neither use or recite the Allegiance of the Christian Bible pledge? Do you know any other Christian denomination uses this pledge? I have no intentions of saying this pledge nor believing in it. My heart and faith is lies with the Roman Catholic church and as well as their traditions.

Thank you.

[quote="dancer7777, post:1, topic:309318"]
Dear Catholic Answers,

How are you?

I hope that you all are having a happy Christmas and spending time with your family and friends.

Yesterday in a church of another Christian denomination, I was watching and hearing young children reciting the Allegiance of the Christian Bible pledge. I have also heard this in the 2006 documentary called Jesus Camp that I did for a final paper in my documentary class. I would like to do know why do the Christian denominations have this type of pledge and how is it different about from the Nicine creed, the Apostles Creed, and other creeds in the Catholic Church? I am familiar with the Catholic beliefs and saying. I am intending one day to convert to Catholicism.

I tried to get an answer from my father about the pledge. He is formerly Catholic and made have left the church for another Christian denomination (Pentecostal/Evangelical) or stop being Catholic many many many years ago probably in the 1980s. He was unable to explain the real reason why he left the church (If he had stayed with the Church, my brother and I would have been most likely be Catholic and learn more about the faith and traditions within the home besides the church.) He told me that the priests and the nuns (he called them "sisters) uses and recites the Allegiance of the Christian Bible pledge.

He then proceeds to explain the process of conversion and tradition of the Catholic Church as if I know nothing about it, which I do know a lot about the Catholic Church and their teachings. I am not getting that in the current Christian denomination that I was born in and God is leading to the Catholic Church and I miss attending mass and partaking in the Catholic traditions.

I would like to know is what my father said to me is true? Why does the church do neither use or recite the Allegiance of the Christian Bible pledge? Do you know any other Christian denomination uses this pledge? I have no intentions of saying this pledge nor believing in it. My heart and faith is lies with the Roman Catholic church and as well as their traditions.

Thank you.

[/quote]

I've never heard of it.

Jon

When I was an AWANA leader in a Baptist church years ago they made the kids pledge allegiance to the "christian flag" after the American flag. Sometimes they would pledge allegiance to the Bible. I thought they were silly at the time and I knew none of the words.
As far as I know it has no relation to any historical Creed of the Church. I can't see how anyone can make that a test of orthodoxy.

[quote="JustaServant, post:3, topic:309318"]
When I was an AWANA leader in a Baptist church years ago they made the kids pledge allegiance to the "christian flag" after the American flag. Sometimes they would pledge allegiance to the Bible. I thought they were silly at the time and I knew none of the words.
As far as I know it has no relation to any historical Creed of the Church. I can't see how anyone can make that a test of orthodoxy.

[/quote]

Now, the pledge to the Christian flag I've heard of. With the three ancient creeds, I see no use of these other pledges, quite frankly.

Jon

From 4th to the 7th grade, I attended a Christian school that was operated by a Pentecostal church but was broadly Evangelical in ethos and faculty. Every morning in chapel we began by pledging allegiance to the US flag, the Christian flag, and the Bible. For those who don't know them they are:

Pledge to the Christian Flag

I pledge Allegiance to the Christian Flag and to the Savior for whose kingdom it stands, one brotherhood uniting all mankind in service and love.

Pledge to the Bible

I pledge to the Bible God's Holy word, and will take it as a lamp unto my feet, a light unto my path, and hide it's words in my heart that I may not sin against God.

They are not creedal in any way. They do not replace the Apostles' or the Nicene Creed in any Protestant church. They are simply a means of inculcating love and respect for the Bible and Christianity among children involved in various church or parachurch activities.

And I need to stress this, I have NEVER seen or heard the pledges recited in actual church services, only in church sponsored ministries toward children.

Duplicate thread!

dancer7777, please don't make duplicate threads on these forums, they cause confusion and make things rather spammy.

First thread is here.

=dancer7777;

Yesterday in a church of another Christian denomination, I was watching and hearing young children reciting the Allegiance of the Christian Bible pledge. I would like to do know why do the Christian denominations have this type of pledge and how is it different about from the Nicine creed, the Apostles Creed, and other creeds in the Catholic Church?

"1st. Here is the pledge "
Pledge to the Bible:
I pledge to the Bible God's Holy word, and will take it as a lamp unto my feet, a light unto my path, and hide it's words in my heart that I may not sin against God."
Simply put this is alligece to Sola scriptura; which is actually denied by the bible they give alligence too.

The CREEDS of which the CC has 2 as you note differ in that they are a expression of the primary beliefs of the Catholic Faith as expressed both in sacred traditoo and in the Bible itself.

The 2 forms of the Creed are both valid and essentially say the same things diffferently. The Apostles Creed is thought to have been authored by the Apostles. The Nicene Creed was both a reformulation and a delcairation of our Tuths and beliefs in responce to Arianism; a powerful heresy of the period.

He told me that the priests and the nuns (he called them "sisters) uses and recites the Allegiance of the Christian Bible pledge.

Not true or if true; a heresy of the CC which could have been true; as some religious were by there choice "catholics" in name only seeking reformation THERE WAY; not God's.:eek:

Sounds like dad is either uniformed; misunformed, or has an "axe" to grind for reasons yet undisclosed.

I would like to know is at my father said to me is true? Why does the church do neither use or recite the Allegiance of the Christian Bible pledge?

Definately NOT TRUE! Because there is more to salvations needs than non-catholic understanding of the bible accepts. And YES it is proveable. Like the "sinners prayer"; only 2 or 3, NOT Seven Sacraments; self- interpretation of the bible; dad is just wrong:o

Catholics and the CC have a relationship with God DIRECTLY through Jesus Christ. The Bible is God's WORD; which is FULLY used to teach and learn what Christ commands, demands and mandates. Much of which is not accepted by other communions; other competing faiths. Our alligence is to GOD DIRECTLY through the bible. NOT first to the bible; hopig to find God.

God Bless,

pat/PJM

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.