Questions about God

1. Why does God allow natural disasters? Why does he allow good people to suffer?

2. Isn’t medicine against God? Shouldn’t God be able to preserve health? If my health is getting worse, isn’t that God’s plan? Isn’t it wrong to interfere- like going against God?

Is it fair that some people only get to live longer because of science and others without access to it, don’t? Why does God allow this to happen?

1. Why should I pray, if God has decided what to give me and not to give me?

2. Why doesn’t God reveal himself?

1. Why does God allow natural disasters? Why does he allow good people to suffer?

Any answer would be speculation, since we obviously can’t know the mind of God.

1. Isn’t medicine against God? Shouldn’t God be able to preserve health? If my health is getting worse, isn’t that God’s plan? Isn’t it wrong to interfere- like going against God?

A man is trapped in a flood. He goes to the roof of his building and begins praying. A helicopter descends and offers him a seat to escape, but he replies, “no need, my friend, my God will save me.”

The man drowns in the flood. Upon coming to Heaven, he meets God. Curiously, he asks “God, why didn’t you save me?”

God replies, “I sent you a helicopter, what more did you want?”

The moral: God’s greatest gift to us is common sense.

Because he told you to. Perhaps his decision is based on how much you decided to pray.

1. Why doesn’t God reveal himself?

He has, many times over.

Each is for a greater good. No amount of suffering during this life compares to the good to be revealed at the end of time.

1. Isn’t medicine against God? Shouldn’t God be able to preserve health? If my health is getting worse, isn’t that God’s plan? Isn’t it wrong to interfere- like going against God?

Restoring health is a good thing. Christ cured people of their ills as an example of its goodness. Scripture reveals that the use of oils (the medicine of the day) and prayer for curing the sick is God’s will for us.

Is it fair that some people only get to live longer because of science and others without access to it, don’t? Why does God allow this to happen?

Same as answer to question 1. This life is not the most important life we live and WHAT HAPPENS TO US during this life is not as important as HOW WE LIVE it. If we place all our value on the avoidance of personal pain and suffering during this life while neglecting our eternal life, then a greater suffering awaits us.

One simple reason is that God has requested that you do so, and provided the example of prayer through his Son. Don’t forget that prayer is a 2 way form of communication - not only do you speak to God, but He speaks to you.

He has revealed himself. The question is why do you not see that God has revealed himself?

Here’s a good exercise. Describe how the world would be, and how people would be, without any possibility of suffering. The deeper you dig into this question the more more surprised you will be at the implications.

God invites us to join with him in every good work. That includes helping our fellow men and women through medicine.

Every human being lives forever. We are all immortal.

The fundamental purpose of prayer is to bring ourselves closer to God.

God reveals himself constantly. One of the truly surprising discoveries I made when I came back to God and his Church is that those who have been given eyes to see will see him everywhere. Before, I didn’t see. After, I see constantly.

**That question has been asked from the beginning of time. Few people have experienced God as Moses is said to have. For believers we see evidence in our lives, family, nature, the list is inexhaustible. For the non-believer, of course, the above remains meaningless. **

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.