Questions about grace (meals) and a sweet smell

Hi, I’m still learning more about our faith. I’ve been praying the rosary daily and recently received the Rite of Consecration to Mary w/ the Miraculous Medal… and I don’t exactly recall if this happened during my viewing of a youtube video prayer for the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, but I was sitting in front of my computer and suddenly a strong, sweet smell whiffed in front of me, lasting only a few seconds. But wow… it was so sweet. Do you know what this is? And yes, I’ve searched the forums but haven’t found evidence of people smelling this in front of their computers. lol. This happened before I got the consecration, however.

I also was curious about prayers, especially grace during meals. Do we still need to say “we thank thee” (plural) instead of the personal singular, “I”, etc.? It just doesn’t seem appropriate if you’re alone? I have no idea, I just pray the typical plural way.

Thanks!

I think you and I say a different prayer before meals but mine has “us” in it and I always say “us.”

But if you’d rather using a singular pronoun, I’d go ahead and do it.

I used to pray the old breviary daily and it has options for being led by a priest, being led by a layman, and praying alone. Each one has different pronouns and in the case of having a priest leading, different prayers.

If the Church in her wisdom saw fit to account for this in her divine office, I don’t see why you should worry about doing it in your private prayers.

I have also noticed a sweet fragrance from time to time when I’ve given a good Confession. This fragrance persists even though it’s the depths of winter and not a single thing grows beneath the snow and ice. When you smell it, thank the Lord for the gift and ask Him to help sustain you within His Grace.

You can modify the prayer at meals as you need. When I eat alone (ie, at work) I still say “Bless us” but think of my family at home when I do. Nor is it wrong to say a more custom prayer if you’re eating with non-Catholics - I often thank the Lord for my friends and our time with them as well as the food when we have them over for meals.

Thank you both! I guess perhaps God understands it may be singular or plural but the intention still the same, but it’s good to know there’s no specific way needed per se. :slight_smile:

And as for the sweet smell, that’s good to hear I’m not the only one. I think it is a blessing for sure!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.