Questions about Mary being the Neck of the Mystical Body of Christ

I have a few questions regarding the Blessed Virgin’s status as the Neck of the Mystical Body of Christ:

1. First is this an official teaching of the Church? I have read the section on Catholic Answers that speaks about “Making Peace with the Mediatrix” (in “This Rock” section).
    catholic.com/thisrock/2006/0609fea1.asp
    It quotes Pope Saint Pius X, in Ad Diem Illum 13, who said Mary is the “Neck” so I’m assuming this is official Catholic teaching. In Ad Diem Illum 13, though the Holy Father only seems to be discussing dispensatrix of all gifts. I’m not sure if this also pertains to Prayer (this is my #4 question below).

2. Am I correct in believing that as Mediatrix of all Graces, that Mary is in fact the Neck and that all Grace comes to us from God and through Mary?

3. If all Grace comes from God to us through Mary, where does the Holy Spirit fit in? I, personally, began thinking about how Mary is espoused to the Holy Spirit and was wondering if this in anyway fits into this teaching. In other words my question is does all grace come from Jesus through Mary, then through the Holy Spirit then to us. Or is it from Jesus and then through Mary and the Holy Spirit together then to us? Or Jesus then through the Holy Spirit then through Mary then to us? What is the order of this grace flowing power? Jesus is first, I’m just not sure where Mary and the Holy Spirit both fit into this line of grace giving power.

4. Does Mary being the Neck of the Body of Christ also mean that all prayers go from us, through Mary to Jesus? I’m assuming that prayers would flow in the exact oppisite direction as the grace would come to us, since grace originates from God and ends with us, and since prayers originate from us and end with God (Even praying to the Saints in heaven ultimately ends with God since we only ask the Saints in heaven to pray for us)? I’m also assuming that Mary has to be the Neck of the Mystical Body of Christ all the time, not just for Graces. I would imagine that there can’t be a Neck (Mary) just for Grace and not for Prayers also. Am I correct in this line of thinking?

I greatly appreciate any and all help.

My God bless you and Mary keep you.

There is no official teaching that Mary is the neck of the mystical body of Christ. I believe it’s jut clever metaphor.

I’ve never in my life heard this before today. Somebody is just waxing poetic, I think.

What a revolting title :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

(in “This Rock” section).
catholic.com/thisrock/2006/0609fea1.asp
It quotes Pope Saint Pius X, in Ad Diem Illum 13, who said Mary is the “Neck” so I’m assuming this is official Catholic teaching. In Ad Diem Illum 13, though the Holy Father only seems to be discussing dispensatrix of all gifts. I’m not sure if this also pertains to Prayer (this is my #4 question below).

1. Am I correct in believing that as Mediatrix of all Graces, that Mary is in fact the Neck and that all Grace comes to us from God and through Mary?

2. If all Grace comes from God to us through Mary, where does the Holy Spirit fit in? I, personally, began thinking about how Mary is espoused to the Holy Spirit and was wondering if this in anyway fits into this teaching. In other words my question is does all grace come from Jesus through Mary, then through the Holy Spirit then to us. Or is it from Jesus and then through Mary and the Holy Spirit together then to us? Or Jesus then through the Holy Spirit then through Mary then to us? What is the order of this grace flowing power? Jesus is first, I’m just not sure where Mary and the Holy Spirit both fit into this line of grace giving power.

##** On the usual model, the Holy Spirit doesn’t get a look-in - the order is:**
[LIST]
*]Jesus to
*]Mary to
*]us[/LIST]**As Christian theology this is hopeless. If the activity of the Father through Jesus Christ in us could be active only in the spatially limited way that conditions many of our actions, it might be valid. It’s not, because prayer is a spaceless activity. So the model is seriously misleading. We need prepositions - God does not. **

And what’s happened to the indwelling of the Christian by the Spirit of Christ ? That’s completely ignored. Yet as Christians have received this Spirit, they are in Christ, He is in them, the Father is in Christ & Christ in the Father, & the Father is in the Christian. So this model leaves out a great deal. As a result, it falsifies the facts about the communion between the Blessed Trinity & the Christian & the Church. If this sort of falsification is what devotion to Mary leads to, the less there is, the better.

1. Does Mary being the Neck of the Body of Christ also mean that all prayers go from us, through Mary to Jesus? I’m assuming that prayers would flow in the exact oppisite direction as the grace would come to us, since grace originates from God and ends with us, and since prayers originate from us and end with God (Even praying to the Saints in heaven ultimately ends with God since we only ask the Saints in heaven to pray for us)? I’m also assuming that Mary has to be the Neck of the Mystical Body of Christ all the time, not just for Graces. I would imagine that there can’t be a Neck (Mary) just for Grace and not for Prayers also. Am I correct in this line of thinking?

I greatly appreciate any and all help.

My God bless you and Mary keep you.

**The metaphor of the neck is from a sermon of St.Bernard of Clairvaux (d.1153). **

**That a teaching document repeats a metaphor, does not mean the metaphor is the topic being taught. One of the parables mentions three measures of flour - that doesn’t mean Jesus was giving a lesson in domestic economy. Neither does illustrating a topic by quoting the words of a Saint mean that the illustration is the teaching. **

**As for the rest: I do not believe that she does mediate all graces - how can she, seeing her own election & predestination are graces ? ISTM she has all but displaced the Holy Spirit in RCism :frowning: (& people like Kolbe don’t help :eek: ) **

**Hope that helps :slight_smile: **

1. Not an official teaching. Although Mary is definitely a very important part of the Body of Christ, we do not know whether she is the Neck.

2. I don’t think Mediatrix of all Graces is an official title, but since, in Heaven, her will is perfectly united to God’s, I have no problem with the idea that God has given Mary the authority to give graces.

3. The 3 Persons of the Holy Trinity are all perfectly united to each other, even more so than Mary’s will is united to God’s, and so if Jesus is granting graces, the Holy Spirit and the Father are also granting the graces.

4. I believe it is proper to address prayers to Mary and ask her to purify them and set them at the Throne of Jesus, but I also acknowledge that this is not a necessary step.
    Hope this helps
    God bless!

The “neck” thing has indeed been used, but I do not like it, and I think it contradicts Catholic sacramental theology.

I have been having a discussion on basically the same idea over on the Traditionalist forum. The idea of Mary as the neck was referenced. Frankly, I think the idea is offensive to the faith and only destroys any sense of the Holy Spirit in the Christians. It seems that the Holy Spirit’s only role now is to protect the pope from error. He is seperated from the regular Christian.

I have to agree with everything Gottle of Geer said. He said what I have been thinking very well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.