Questions about Mary's life

I have questions about Our Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God. I have always said the Rosary and have often wondered about our Mother. :blush:

How long was it before Mary was taken up (Body and Soul) to Heaven after Jesus had ascended to Heaven?
Where was she living after Jesus was ascended to Heaven?
Did she remain closed to the apostles?

Thank you!!

We do not know just how long Mary lived after Jesus left this earth. But probably a number of years. I would imagine she was very kind to the poor and the sick, and spent some time each day in prayer. I always thought of her going to receive her daily bread at the early church Mass at that time, and how much that must have meant to her to receive her son in Communion. I can only imagine what that must have been like.

We do know that Jesus asked St. John, the apostle, to take her into his home as he spent his last minutes on the Cross. So it may very well be that she was living with St. John until the end.

There were holy women who were very close to Jesus who followed him and supported him from their own private funds during his time on earth. And I would think that Mary also gave of herself to support the early church as well.

But we don’t know how many years after Jesus lived that Mary too was taken up into heaven to be by her son again.

The assumption of Mary into heaven is a sign also of all of us being assumed someday into heaven bodily at the final coming. The assumption is also a close relationship with the Ascension of Jesus, which too is a sign of our bodies someday being assumed and being with him in heaven.

Both the ascension and assumption encourage us to look forward to the day when we too will be with him wholistically when Jesus comes to make it all happen for us beyond our dreams. What great mysteries of happiness and hope.

Thank you so much for the explanation. I know that Our Blessed Mother of God is not mentioned any time after Jesus’s resurrection. That is why I asked about it.

Another question. Are there any homes still around that Mary, Joseph and Jesus lived in?The Garden of Gethamane (same rock where Jesus prayed to God)? The Tomb where Jesus was buried.

I like to see pictures of these places. I don’t have the money to travel out there. :shrug:

Again, Thanks!!!

As for Gethamane, almost everything that existed at the time of Jesus in Jerusalem was completely destroyed by the Roman Army’s siege and destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70. Even the trees were uprooted.

Here is an article on Mary’s House in Ephesus; note: it is not proven that she lived here but there is reason to believe she did:

http://www.go2ephesus.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/house-of-virgin.jpg

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_the_Virgin_Mary

You will enjoy learning about the House of Loreto - the house in which Jesus, Mary and Joseph probably lived. Tradition says it was miraculously brought to Italy by angels. (Loreto is a town in Italy.) The house itself is very small - but a large basilica was built around it. Enjoy.
catholictradition.org/Mary/loreto1.htm

Mary is mentioned once in the New Testament after Our Lord’s Resurrection
Acts 1:12 Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a sabbath day’s journey away; 1:13 and when they had entered, they went up to the upper room, where they were staying, Peter and John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot and Judas the son of James. 1:14 All these with one accord devoted themselves to prayer,** together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus**, and with his brothers.

Thank you for correcting me on Our Blessed Mother of God at the above. In the Glorious Mystery–the descent of the Holy Spirit was given to all the apostles and to Mary.

Thank you for the picture of the house. It certainly is beautiful. I read the history of the House of the Virgin Mary. I appreciate it!

So sad to know that. I just wished I could touch that rock where Jesus knelt to pray to Our Father before his arrest. I want to kneel at that rock and pray for forgiveness.:blush:

Jesus’s tomb probably would have been a cavity, possibly rock-cut, that would have filled up with sediment over the centuries. Archaeologists would have to find a distinct feature or characteristic of the tomb and then dig it all up, which is difficult. However, three pilgrimage sites claim to be the tomb of Christ. Ordered by popularity:

1. The Church of the Holy Sepulchre:
    churchoftheholysepulchre.net

2. The Garden Tomb:
    gardentomb.com

3. The Talpiot Tomb:
    talpiottomb.com

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.