Questions about Mass parts

I have two questions about Mass parts (Agnus Dei; Holy, Holy; the Gloria; etc.)

1. Is the English translation copyrighted? I never thought about it until I went to Wikipedia one time to look up the text to the Gloria and everything was blank on grounds of possible copyright issues

2. Is there only one setting for Latin chant? The Newman Center’s doing a Latin chant setting for Lent, and it’s the exact same tune as the last time I’d heard it (in a different state, at a church that used different settings)

[quote="Razanir, post:1, topic:315372"]
I have two questions about Mass parts (Agnus Dei; Holy, Holy; the Gloria; etc.)

1) Is the English translation copyrighted? I never thought about it until I went to Wikipedia one time to look up the text to the Gloria and everything was blank on grounds of possible copyright issues

2) Is there only one setting for Latin chant? The Newman Center's doing a Latin chant setting for Lent, and it's the exact same tune as the last time I'd heard it (in a different state, at a church that used different settings)

[/quote]

Yes.

No, there are like 18 chant settings, plus additional individual settings of some of the Ordinary parts.

Yes, the Order is copyrighted by the ICEL.

There are many different chant settings, and who knows: maybe new ones will come into use at some point!

[quote="Razanir, post:1, topic:315372"]

2) Is there only one setting for Latin chant? The Newman Center's doing a Latin chant setting for Lent, and it's the exact same tune as the last time I'd heard it (in a different state, at a church that used different settings)

[/quote]

They are likely both doing the chant setting that's in the Roman Missal.

[quote="Phemie, post:4, topic:315372"]
They are likely both doing the chant setting that's in the Roman Missal.

[/quote]

Which is based on Mass XVII, I believe. Or perhaps Mass XVIII.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.