Questions about my confession

I had my first confession today! :slight_smile:

I have two questions however. I’m worried that I may have been dishonest in the confessional. I did not lie or conceal any sin (and I did my best to say all my sins). However, when I was saying the age at which I did one of the sins I was embarrassed for I may have lowered it by 1 or 2 years to make myself look better. (Or at least that’s the worst case scenario! The best case is that I tried my best to tell the truth.)

Immediately once I realized this, I went to the priest and told him this. He said it didn’t matter.

Now I went home and I’m afraid that I may have accidentally detracted a person. I was telling my sins and it seemed like the priest had assumed that I did them with one person. So I said “no, I didn’t do them with that person, I only did with that person.” (This was with the intention of correcting the possible misunderstanding the priest had.) So I’m afraid I detracted by saying that…

Did I? Am I safe to go for first Communion this evening?

(P.S. It’s Hermione again!)

[quote=Alterum]I had my first confession today! :slight_smile:

I have two questions however. I’m worried that I may have been dishonest in the confessional. I did not lie or conceal any sin (and I did my best to say all my sins). However, when I was saying the age at which I did one of the sins I was embarrassed for I may have lowered it by 1 or 2 years to make myself look better. (Or at least that’s the worst case scenario! The best case is that I tried my best to tell the truth.)
[/quote]

While you should always try to be truthful, what you did wouldn’t affect the validity of your confession :slight_smile: So don’t worry about that.

Immediately once I realized this, I went to the priest and told him this. He said it didn’t matter.

He’s right! So try to leave it at that. If you have a tendency to worry excessively about these things, the very best thing you can do is just trust the confessor (the priest).

Now I went home and I’m afraid that I may have accidentally detracted a person.

Well, if it was an accident then it wasn’t a sin, so don’t worry :slight_smile:

I was telling my sins and it seemed like the priest had assumed that I did them with one person. So I said “no, I didn’t do them with that person, I only did with that person.” (This was with the intention of correcting the possible misunderstanding the priest had.) So I’m afraid I detracted by saying that…

Don’t worry! You did it for a good reason and if you made a mistake, then that’s just a mistake, not a sin. And I believe the priest is bound to keep what you said secret – not just your own sins but anything else you tell him during the course of the confession.

Did I? Am I safe to go for first Communion this evening?

Absolutely.

Thanks for responding! :slight_smile:

I feel better. I can’t wait to stop being scrupulous.

P.S. I corrected the thing about the possible lie after my confession, not during. I hope this doesn’t change things…

It looks like I replied to your post after you had already edited it so that’s not an issue :slight_smile:

There were some saints who struggled with scrupulosity. One of them was St Maximilian Kolbe. He got over it, I believe, but I don’t know how it happened.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.