Questions about praying the Rosary

I have recently started praying the Rosary and I need a bit of help. I don’t really understand how to pray the mysteries. What are they for? What am I supposed to do? How do I meditate on them?
Also, how do you start each decade?

Thank you!

Hi

I’m certainly not an expert, but this is what I do. The first sorrowful mystery is “The Agony in The Garden”. I start the mystery with the Our Father. Then I try to picture myself in the Garden, off to the side, observing Jesus. It’s my sins that caused His agony; my sins that He saw in the chalice; my sins thaty caused Him to sweat blood. I try to center my thoughts on these things as I say the ten Hail Mary’s.

If you read the Gospels on the Passion there is much information for prayer and meditation.

You can decide for yourself what each mystery means to you, or, there are many Rosary pamphlets with different ideas for meditations. I hope this is of some help.

Yes, thank you.

Check out Rosary Army. www.rosaryarmy.com They have a MP3 download for free. They have Scriptural Rosaries were there is a verse given before each Hail Mary is recited. I found this helpful for me when I first began. It helped me to focus on the mystery. I didn’t have to worry about what came next since I was listening and following along. I also like this because I can listen to it while doing the dishes. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.