Questions about the Black Nazarene

Whenever I see footages of the procession of the Black Nazarene on the news, it always makes me question whether people only venerate or worship the statue. Can anyone help explain this to me?

catholic.com/tracts/do-catholics-worship-statues

Jimmy Akin on the term “Worship” ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/hey_your_worship_im_only_trying_to_help

Catechism:

2132 The Christian veneration of images is not contrary to the first commandment which proscribes idols. Indeed, “the honor rendered to an image passes to its prototype,” and “whoever venerates an image venerates the person portrayed in it.” The honor paid to sacred images is a “respectful veneration,” not the adoration due to God alone:

Religious worship is not directed to images in themselves, considered as mere things, but under their distinctive aspect as images leading us on to God incarnate. The movement toward the image does not terminate in it as image, but tends toward that whose image it is.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c1a1.htm#2132

Since you mention the Black Nazarene in particular, rather than the Catholic practice of images in general, why are you asking specifically about this devotion?

I guess it’s because whenever I see it, I see people act as if it’s the Black Nazarene that actually grants them the graces instead of God. But I guess I was just mistaken.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.