Questions about the Divine Mercy

When and where did this devotion started, and why that nun’s writings were in the Index?
This devotion was for some time condemned by the Church, right?
Can someone give me some good answers?
Thanks.

St Faustina, Poland around the reformation

A bad translation of her work was originally made and was not given the nihil obstat for some years. Later, this was remedied, her works were scrutinized again, and she was canonized and the Divine Mercy devotion sanctioned by John Paul II.

She was born in 1905 so, not during the Reform.

@Limoncello4021
She was banned during the pontificate of Pius XII, right?
And when was this “remedied”?

And more importantly, who called her apostle?

The notification banning the Divine Mercy devotion was issued in 1959, and lifted in 1978.

St. Pope John Paul II remedied it. He and St. Faustina were both from Poland and the Divine Mercy devotion had been popular in Poland before it was suppressed. Being Polish, Pope JPII was also well equipped to deal with the translation issue.

By the way, I’m not sure why you’re putting “remedied” in quotes. Both Pope JPII and St. Faustina are canonized, and she has a huge and beautiful shrine near Krakow, so the devotion isn’t really up for debate.

Hi Ioannes_L,

You can read more about the Divine Mercy devotion here:

This website has more information about it.

https://www.thedivinemercy.org/message/

The one that looks like an airport?

Haha, yes it does look a bit like an Eero Saarinen era airport. It’s where we take off and fly to God in Heaven :slight_smile:

It also has a little old traditional chapel by it, with her tomb.

Thanks, it might be quite useful to get some answers.

Get a copy of her diary and read it for yourself. I use it for reading during adoration. It is truly amazing.

I just want some good and quick info about it, so I’ll finally be able to understand somethings here and there about this devotion and the whole Index story.
If I could get a neutral opinion about this topic I would love it, but I’m only able to find the opposites.
Thanks anyway

You’re very welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

I find this website to very useful. I think that it has good information for those who would like to know more about the Divine Mercy devotion.

God bless you!

It’s going to be hard to get a “neutral opinion” about the Divine Mercy Devotion given that there’s not one but two saints involved with it. Catholics are bound to accept the decisions of the Vatican on both saints and approved devotions.

You don’t have to believe in the private revelations to St. Faustina, and you don’t have to pray the devotion, but you can’t very well say she’s not in heaven when she’s canonized, or that the devotion is hogwash when Divine Mercy Sunday is on the official Church calendar and the devotion was approved by someone who also became a saint.

It is very useful. I especially liked how it clarified very well the difference between the Divine Mercy indulgence that comes from the Church, and the Divine Mercy grace that comes from Jesus.

Both remove all temporal punishment for sin, but they come from different sources. Also, you can give the indulgence away to a soul in Purgatory, but not the grace, that’s just for you.

In my experience, people often confuse the two (including myself before I read up on it on that website a couple years back).

the Sunday of Divine Mercy is not at all a recognition of the devotion taught by St. Faustina, even if JPII was inspired by the revelations of St. Faustina to establish this celebration, we are not obliged to celebrate this feast by referring to the devotion of Saint Faustina.
Devotion to the divine mercy of Saint Faustina is not yet supported by the magisterium, as it’s the case of the devotion to the Rosary, or devotion to the sacred heart of Jesus, or devotion to the Blessed Sacrament.

Edited because I presume you are referring to this:

https://www.thedivinemercy.org/news/Is-Divine-Mercy-Devotion-Just-Based-on-Private-Revelations-2424

I understand why you say the Sunday feast is not based on the private revelation. Which makes sense because we are not obligated to believe in or celebrate private revelation.

However, it’s going a bit far to say “devotion to the divine mercy of St. Faustina is not yet supported by the magisterium”. Do you have a source for that? Like the magisterium saying “we don’t support this”? Or is that your personal opinion?

I say that there is no text of the magisterium which advises the practice of the devotion of St. Faustina, or which recognizes the spiritual merits of this devotion, if you say that there is, then it is up to you to we provide them …

I did not say that the magisterium discourages this devotion, but I say that it has not yet to provide its official support as it did for the Rosary, the Sacred Heart of Jesus, or the devotion to Holy Sacrament
Indeed, there are several encyclicals which advise to practice these devotions, and this is not yet the case for Faustine’s divine mercy.

The USCCB includes the recitation of the Divine Mercy Chaplet in its Holy Hour program for Divine Mercy Sunday, and also notes that

The Presiding Minister may offer insights on the revelation of God’s mercy throughout salvation history—in Scripture, through the writings of saints and, in a particular way, through the revelations recorded in the Diary of St. Faustina Kowalska.

http://www.usccb.org/about/pro-life-activities/prayers/divine-mercy-sunday.cfm

Between that and St. Pope JPII promoting the devotion, that’s good enough for me to think the Magisterium endorses it.
Participating in Divine Mercy devotions is an optional activity and not part of the Mass, so if a person has some problem with the chaplet or with reflecting on St. Faustina’s revelations, they can skip the whole thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.