Questions about the Latin Rite Liturgy of the Hours

Hello,

Just a few questions for some research I am doing. These questions concern Paul VI’s form for the Liturgy of the Hours.

1. Is the Gloria Patri repeated after every psalm, or is it omitted when the Psalm Prayer is said?

2. Are the prayers at Morning and Evening in the proper of the seasons the same as are in the Roman Missal of Paul VI?

3. Am I correct that no Lucenarium (Lamp Lighting) introduction to Vespers was introduced in the Roman revision of the LotH of Paul VI?

4. What authorized versions exist for english-speakers?

Thanks,
Rob+

[quote=FrRobSST]Hello,

Just a few questions for some research I am doing. These questions concern Paul VI’s form for the Liturgy of the Hours.

1. Is the Gloria Patri repeated after every psalm, or is it omitted when the Psalm Prayer is said?

[font=Arial]When the psalm prayer is said (this in most places its not). The Glory be is said before it (Psalm then Glory be then psalm prayer then the antiphon).

[/font]

1. Are the prayers at Morning and Evening in the proper of the seasons the same as are in the Roman Missal of Paul VI?

Many times they are but this is not universally true.

1. Am I correct that no Lucenarium (Lamp Lighting) introduction to Vespers was introduced in the Roman revision of the LotH of Paul VI?

Correct.

1. What authorized versions exist for english-speakers?

There are several that have been approved (all with the same text just published by different companies) the one I have is from “Catholic book publishing company”.

Thanks,
Rob+
[/quote]

It’s my understanding that these “psalm prayers” are not in the official Latin Liturgia Horarum but were invented by those who translated it into English. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

[quote=Benedictus]It’s my understanding that these “psalm prayers” are not in the official Latin Liturgia Horarum but were invented by those who translated it into English. Can anyone confirm or refute this?
[/quote]

No “psalm prayers” appear in my Liturgia Horarum (I’ve only one volume (so far), but I presume it is representative)

tee

[quote=SaintJVMan]4) What authorized versions exist for english-speakers?

There are several that have been approved (all with the same text just published by different companies) the one I have is from “Catholic book publishing company”.
[/quote]

The only authorized English version I know is “prepared by” the International Commission on English in the Liturgy (however the copyrights also acknowledge the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, The Grail (England), and the International Consultation on English Texts).

Lauds and Vespers per annum from Scepter Publishers faces Latin with an independent, unauthorized English translation.

tee

I have the one volume Christian Prayer, which has numerous approvals by the USCCB, and other international conferences. I believe the Shorter Christian Prayer is just an abbreviation of this one.

This instructions say to use the gloria after the psalms, before the antiphon, (except for the canticle Dn3:57-88 -Sun AM-weekI-when the Gloria is omitted). The psalm prayer is read after the antiphon. I have been in 2 different Catholic Churches for morning prayer, and this is the manner in which it is prayed.

[quote=Benedictus]It’s my understanding that these “psalm prayers” are not in the official Latin Liturgia Horarum but were invented by those who translated it into English. Can anyone confirm or refute this?
[/quote]

That’s right; as I said above they’re optional and are rarely used.

[quote=tee_eff_em]The only authorized English version I know is “prepared by” the International Commission on English in the Liturgy (however the copyrights also acknowledge the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, The Grail (England), and the International Consultation on English Texts).

Lauds and Vespers per annum from Scepter Publishers faces Latin with an independent, unauthorized English translation.

tee
[/quote]

If you have a version that has been authorized there will be a record of the authorization in the front.

[quote=Mysty101]I have the one volume Christian Prayer, which has numerous approvals by the USCCB, and other international conferences. I believe the Shorter Christian Prayer is just an abbreviation of this one.

This instructions say to use the gloria after the psalms, before the antiphon, (except for the canticle Dn3:57-88 -Sun AM-weekI-when the Gloria is omitted). The psalm prayer is read after the antiphon. I have been in 2 different Catholic Churches for morning prayer, and this is the manner in which it is prayed.
[/quote]

The rubrics I have state that the psalm prayer (if its used) should be prayed before the antiphon. Though since its not used universally it would make sense for it to be after, let me check a different source.

Okay, I did some research. Here’s what the General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours says:

1. Psalm-prayers for each psalm are given in the supplement to The Liturgy of the Hours as an aid to understanding them in a predominantly Christian way. An ancient tradition provides a model for their use: after the psalm a period of silence is observed, then the prayer gives a resume and resolution of the thoughts and aspirations of those praying the psalms.

It doesn’t really indicate whether the psalm-prayer should be said before or after the antiphon.

EWTN has a little chart that would indicate that the psalm-prayer is said before the antiphon is repeated. Note that it also hints that the psalm-prayer is specific to the U.S. version, which is what prompted my previous question; although, I’ve now been satisfied that the psalm-prayers are in the original Latin too.

Finally, there is this that would indicate that there is some flexibility as to when the optional psalm-prayer is said.

This is an old thread but, no the psalm-prayers are not in the original Latin text nor in the UK translation.

If you call yourself “Primitive Catholic,” why are you using such a modern and recent redaction of the Office?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.