Questions about the passover and o.t feasts

Hi all,

I was recently speaking to some members of the WMSCOG cult and they were adamant that since Christ kept the Sabbath and OT feasts that then means all Christians must therefore keep them. One of their arguments was that since Christ charged his apostles to commemorate the passover in memory of him, that anyone who doesn’t (only once a year though, not weekly/daily) isn’t a Christian. Can anyone help me with some counter-arguments please? I’m no biblical scholar but I’m trying to learn.

Thanks

I take it that they don’t agree with St. Paul then (cf. Acts 15).

Christ never told His Disciples to celebrate Passover or they certainly would have done so. He told them to celebrate the Eucharist.

Just point them to Colossians 2:16-17 which addresses this very issue:

16. Therefore, let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink or with regard to a festival or a new moon or sabbath. 17. These are only a shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Jesus fulfilled the Old covenant feasts and rituals, which were merely signs pointing to him, and had no power in themselves to save us. We are not bound by them anymore.

You actually have a great opportunity for evangelization here though, because they are right that we do need to keep the feast that Jesus commanded us to keep. But what was that?

*And he took bread, and when he had given thanks he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body which is given for you. Do this in memory of me."(Lk 22:19) *
Catholics do exactly this every day! We celebrate, not the old passover which only symbolized Christ’s sacrifice, but the passover of the New covenant. The Mass. :thumbsup:

Catholics celebrate the Passover every year along with the Feast of Tabernacles, Pentecost and the Festival of Lights. :wink:

How could Christians keep Jewish feasts when the Temple is gone, and with it the order of priests who were alone sanctioned to perform the sacrifices?

I have just finished reading an utterly fascinating work called Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist by a Catholic author who sees in the Eucharist the continuation, the fulfillment of the Passover.

Where in the Passover ritual is someone expected to say “This is my body. This is my blood”? :wink:

Uh, debating with WMSCOG cultists is the LAST thing you need to do. Just mention the failed Doomsday prophecies. That’s a no-go. Know any Jewish prophets that get to keep making false prophecies and do-overs are OK? Not Jewish-observant at all. Tell 'em to beat it.

Probably not helpful for apologetics, but the folks at salvationhistory.com have a nice audio course called “Feasts of Faith,” detailing the relationship of big Jewish feasts to our Catholic calendar of big feasts.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.