Questions about Voting

I’m a little bit confused about what Catholics are obligated to when it comes to voting. Some of what I’ve read seems to indicate that Catholics have a moral duty to vote. I am a recent convert, so shortly after I converted I confessed not having voted in the last presidential election to my priest, but he said it’s not a sin. Is it really not a sin to not vote?

If we are morally obligated to vote, is this in all elections, including small local elections? What about in primary vs. general elections?

Thanks for advice!

This may not be the best place for answers. It seems that many put party affiliation above religion.

3 Likes

The Catholic Church does not force a person to vote. Actually, they don’t say anything about it from what I now. But if you do vote, you must vote in accordance with Catholic principles.

1 Like

Hey, I’m offended you dirty Republican!!!

[For the OP’s sake, I jest]

1 Like

How dare you! I’d say pistols at thirty paces, but who wants another gun debate.

1 Like

Yeah, let’s not even go there. I’m game for a drink off though.

1 Like

I’m in, beer, wine, you name it!

1 Like

This document from the US bishops may help you.

http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/faithful-citizenship/

1 Like

I vote for myself every election. I believe in ME :us:

2 Likes

Oh, you’re part of THAT generation. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I belong to the Ultimate Generation and I am their leader. I’m A literal modern day Moses.

2 Likes

I bow to your superiority, wisdom, and all-around awesomeness.

2 Likes

What ? 10 characters.

Ssshhhhh. Don’t antagonize our Great Leader.

2 Likes

We are not required to vote, according to any Catholic doctrine. The reason is that the Catholic Church long predates democracy and voting. The Church does not prescribe a system of secular government.

Today, many would say that have a responsibility to support morally responsible government to the extant that we can. Pope Pius XII struggled against both Nazism and Communism. John Paul II lived under both in Poland and worked to undermine Communism as Pope. Today, the Church is in a constant struggle with the Culture of Death. All Christians are obliged to protest the grave evils of abortion and euthanasia.

IF you are in the US, read this.

http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/faithful-citizenship/upload/forming-consciences-for-faithful-citizenship.pdf

1 Like

I thought Moses was mythical.

1 Like

No :angry:
(10 characters)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.