Questions concerning my son's baptism

Hello everyone!

First I would like to thank everyone ahead of time for your help! I really appreciate it!:slight_smile: With that being said, I have a few questions concerning my son’s baptism!

1. I am hoping to get my son Baptized in February. I understand that normally baptism is held within the first few weeks of life… and my son is almost 13 months. I can still get him baptized, right? (I feel that this is a silly question, but I figured I’d ask!)

2. I am single, never-married, and my son’s father has little to no contact with him, unfortunately. (He did sign the birth certificate, though, if that matters?) Will the church need my permission and my child’s father’s permission in order to have him baptized?

3. Similarly to the previous question, will my son’s father need to be present during the baptism or is it okay if just my son, his godparents, and I arepresent?

Yes, you can baptize your 13 mo.

The church need one parent’s consent.

1. Yes you can and God bless you for doing this.

2. If you are Catholic and intend to raise the child as such, only your permission is needed. (BTW, IMHO being a single parent is one of the hardest crosses to bear. Thank you for choosing life for your child. His father should step up and at least provide for his support. It is what a man is supposed to do),

3. His father need not be present.

Praying that God may send you someone who loves you and your son.

Praying for you & your son. God bless you.

:amen:

:blessyou: :gopray2:

I wouldn’t say it is a blanket “yes” you can have him baptized with only your consent.

There have been cases in the news(one in Illinois), where a single parent had their child baptized without the other parent’s consent, and it all landed in court.

Check with your pastor first.

Here is an article regarding a case in TN. foxnews.com/us/2012/03/30/mother-faces-contempt-jail-for-baptizing-children/

Praying to God for blessings for you and your son! You are on the right track…

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

With respect, from a Church only viewpoint, it is a blanket yes that only 1 parent is required by the Church to have their child baptized.

Your referenced article is about a contempt of court case due to a court order which forbid the mother from making religious decisions. Since the father appears, unfortunately to be long gone from this relationship there is no reason the pastor would not baptize.

I understand your point but we don’t want to confuse what the Church can do with what a secular court can order a parent to do.

Thank you everyone for your responses and blessings! God Bless you all!

I wasn’t speaking from just a “Church” perspective. I was addressing the entire situation.

The way people are today, whether the non-custodial parent is in the picture or not. Things like this can and do spark them to be vindictive toward the custodial parent.

The fact that the father is on the birth certificate, and at this point does not appear to have given up his parental rights, he could make things rough. Ex’s have a tendency of doing that.

While she is well within her rights to have the child baptized, is she prepared for the hassle the father could present?

We only know a speck of what the situation is, and that is why a prudent “ask your pastor” answer was given.

Just check in with your church, I’m sure everything will work out great. I’m praying for you and your precious son.

Hail Mary, full of grace,
The Lord is with Thee;
Blessed art thou among women,
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
Pray for us sinners,
Now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

I understand what you are saying, but I honestly do not think a priest would deny a legitimate request of a Catholic to baptize their child because there might be secular repercussions. Remember the OP’s original question was “does the Church *need *the father’s permission”. The answer is “no, it does not”.

Since the next step in baptism is to speak to the Priest anyway, we are discussing the same point I think.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.