Questions-Council of Ephesus: Mother of God

I read the documents on the council of Ephesus HERE, I though it was an amazing council in that some of the stuff Nestorius said was so out of line nobody could believe it. I also liked how it stressed the title for Mary as Mother of God was not only correct, but to say otherwise resulted in being ex-ed. I had a hard time following some terms, but some of the stuff that Nestoris said was very clear and so out of line I couldnt believe it.

Questions:
-For both Cyril and Nestorius it starts off on the SECOND letter not the first, how come?

-it says at the end concerning the Nicene creed that no other creed was to be made. Does that include adding to the creed?

-I couldnt figure out what John of Antioch did wrong? Was it just his failure to condemn Nestorianis?

[quote=Catholic Dude]I read the documents on the council of Ephesus… I though it was an amazing council
[/quote]

The primary purpose of this Council was to settle matters dealing with the Nestorian controversy (the view that the Incarnate Christ consisted of two distinct persons - one human, and one divine, as opposed to the orthodox doctrine that Christ was one Person, at once both God and man - and notably opposed to the the term Theotokos - “God Bearer” - for the BVM. They maintained that Mary was the bearer of Jesus but NOT the bearer of God, because these were two distinctly different Persons).

For both Cyril and Nestorius it starts off on the SECOND letter not the first, how come?

Presumably because the first letters did not deal with the particular doctrine in question.

it says at the end concerning the Nicene creed that no other creed was to be made. Does that include adding to the creed?

It means no opposing creed was to be made. It does not preculde additions or alternate creeds, provided they do not oppose the Nicene Creed.

I couldnt figure out what John of Antioch did wrong? Was it just his failure to condemn Nestorianis?

Well, John was a supporter of his friend, Nestorius. So Cyril didn’t especially want his input, so he began the Council before John could arrive. When John did arrive (a few days later), he held a counter-council which condemned Cyril and vindicated Nestorius (you see, Cyril was a smart dude to preclude this troublemaker). Eventually they shook hands and made up, but John was severly damaged by the controversy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.