Questions for Catholics

Hi there,

I was unsure if this is the correct place to post this. After browsing this forum for a bit, I decided this seemed like the most appropriate place.

I am conducting a small experiment about religion. In it, I will be comparing various major religions against one another. IE; Catholicism, Islam, Hindu, Buddhist, Protestants etc.

The idea is to ask a few basic questions about what each religion believes, that are usually the most important to people in general, and to see which religion sounds the most true.

Note: I am not Catholic. :wink:

So here are the questions for those Catholics out there (Please give me complete answers, and not quotations from scripture etc. I want to know what YOU believe, as well as what Catholicism teaches):

1. Where do you believe that we came from?
    Such as: Do you believe that we existed in some state or form, before coming to this earth? or what exactly?

2. Why do you believe that we are on Earth?

3. Where do you believe that we go when our time on Earth is over (Death)?

4. Why do you follow the teachings of the Catholic Church over any other religion?

I would appreciate any help I can get with these questions, thanks. :thumbsup:

Before I or anyone else responds, I think we are all curious to know what religion you are? :wink:

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.:thumbsup:

God creates us body and soul, thus we do not exist prior to conception except in the mind of God.

Because God placed us here. All of the material world was created for us for us to exist in and live.

We await the Final Judgment and the resurrection of our bodies.

Partly because I was born to a Catholic family. Of course as I get older I took it upon myself to learn more.

Such as: Do you believe that we existed in some state or form, before coming to this earth? or what exactly?

I believe I was originally conceived in the mind of God.

1. Why do you believe that we are on Earth?

Sorry to be trite, but honestly, I can’t beat the catechism on this: to love God, serve Him, and be with Him forever in heaven some day. I suppose we are supposed to learn things while we are here, but it also pleases Him to send some to be born who will die shortly after and those little souls serve him in what they bring to those around them for that short time.

1. Where do you believe that we go when our time on Earth is over (Death)?

Heaven or hell. Or to put it another way, close to God or away from Him. Many of us who will get to Heaven will have to put in a little time of purification in Purgatory, but that’s really just the front porch to heaven.

1. Why do you follow the teachings of the Catholic Church over any other religion?

Because its the church that Jesus Himself founded. He even appointed our first Pope and handed him the keys to the Kingdom. That first Pope, Peter, is buried under St. Peters in the Vatican, our main Church (like the LDS’s temple in Salt Lake City). His bones have been discovered! As a convert from Judaism, I could have chosen any Christian denomination, I suppose, but why choose a church started by a human when I could join the one created by God? Also, Jesus promised us the Church would stand till the end, so even if things went off here or there in history, it made sense to stick with the one that was going to make it to the finish.

I would appreciate any help I can get with these questions, thanks.

You are very welcome. Be careful about “small experiments” regarding religion. I was a Jew and an agnostic. I think you can see where my “small experiment” with religion landed me! The Holy Spirit will not force a conversion on anyone, but if you open that door a crack, don’t be surprised if He kicks it all the way in and takes you for the ride of your life. :smiley:

Welcome to the boards…

We came from God…
We believe that God created our specific soul at that moment of our conception.

To give glory to God…To Love Him with all of our being and to Love our neighbor as ourselves.

Ultimate destinations are two…Heaven or Hell. Those bound for heaven will most likely have a stopover in Purgatory

1. Why do you follow the teachings of the Catholic Church over any other religion?

Because it is the one true Church founded by Christ. This is born out both in Scripture and in history.

I would appreciate any help I can get with these questions, thanks. :thumbsup:

There you go…I’m sure others will give more detailed answers and perhaps steer you to the Catechism for a better understanding of what the Church teaches.

Peace
James

Welcome…“CQ”

From the Catholic catechism:
1 God, infinitely perfect and blessed in himself, in a plan of sheer goodness freely created man to make him share in his own blessed life. For this reason, at every time and in every place, God draws close to man. He calls man to seek him, to know him, to love him with all his strength. He calls together all men, scattered and divided by sin, into the unity of his family, the Church. To accomplish this, when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son as Redeemer and Savior. In his Son and through him, he invites men to become, in the Holy Spirit, his adopted children and thus heirs of his blessed life.

Such as: Do you believe that we existed in some state or form, before coming to this earth?

Kolob? Mars? Saturn? Lost in Space? Star Trek? No. We were “created” in our mother’s womb. Has to do with biology and sperm. Ask Coptic for the particulars.

See the catechism quote above…to know, love and serve the Lord.

See the link below…from the Catechism. All meat. No milk.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a12.htm

Islam is false. Hinduism too. Buddhism too. Wicca… etc. As is worshiping Gold Calfs. Best to follow the Truth. Read this too…

scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a9p3.htm

If time can even be applied to this, we existed in the Divine intellect first. Then, we were created by the One, eternal God.

Do you mean: why were we created? To give Glory and praise to our Creator so as to spend eternity in His presence.

Glad you asked! The four final things are: death, judgment, heaven, hell. Only three apply to any of us. We freely choose where se spend eternity.

The Catholic Church traces directly, in an unbroken line, to the only Priest, Prophet and King whose appearance was known before He arrived. He defeated death, which is well attested to, and He entrusted the One Church that He founded with all of God’s revelation to man, and there it remains. The truth of all that is revealed and kept by the Church has proven true innumerable times, and has never changed, reflecting a God who is the very definition of existence, and Who does not change.

1. God made; always known, once made, forever alive.

2. Love from God the creator. There is nothing we can do on earth, or anything someone can do for or to us to cause a purpose. Therefore, the creator must have liked the fruits of his labor.

3. heaven or hell

4. Only 1 person physically conquered death that I know of, so I listen to him and the Church he created for the purpose of learning and spreading His message.

(1) Some from Venus, some from Mars.

(2) To populate it. It can never be the same place without man.

(3) Back to where we came from.

(4) Because it is the only Church, given to us by God.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

1. Nothing. Everybody existed in God’s mind before he calls someone to will it on earth.

2. to help other people get to Heaven while doing that.

3. God only knows…

4. The Catholic Church is the only one that claims to be the fullness of Truth.

Hope this helps

Shalom
God bless

Why dont you ask a Group of Jewish people also it seems like a important group not to include

1. We come from God through our parents and ancestors. Everything is caused by something before it. Logically, there has to be something that was NOT caused by something before it. And THAT power caused everything after it. That FIRST CAUSE, is God. Just as we love our parents who caused us in the chain of causes starting from God, we must love the FIRST CAUSE, GOD. He is rather awesome.

2. We are on Earth do God’s Will. In the Lord’s Prayer that Jesus taught us, we pray “Thy Will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.” God’s Will is that we know Him as He has revealed Himself to us. To love Him and love others as Christ commanded. To serve Him - Thy Will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven. And if we have done that, then to be happy with Him in Heaven forever.

3. Each of us is destined for either Heaven or Hell for all eternity. To be in Heaven, in the very presence of God, we must be truly sorry for our sins and have made amends for all the wrongs we did while here on Earth. We express our sorrow in the sacrament of Reconciliation. We make our amends on Earth, but if not completed before we die, we will spend some time in purgatory paying our debt. Of course, if we chose to reject God, we chose Hell. God is Merciful but He is also Just.

4. Jesus Christ is the ONLY person in History that was foretold. See the Old Testament. Christ fulfilled every prediciton. Christ gave ample proof that He is the Livng Son of God, and not just another prophet. See the Gospels. Christ is much more than just a ‘good man.’ Truly good men do not lie. Either Christ is indeed the Living Son of God as He claimed with proof, or a bold face liar worthy of no respect. Christ commissioned Peter and the Apostles and established HIS CHURCH. Others cannot truly establish HIS church, nor can they ursurp the powers HE gave to Peter and HIS Church. Christ gave us the sacraments of Holy Eucharist and Reconciliation.

Sadly, many Christians do not believe in the Holy Eucharist or Reconciliation or the Church’s authority from Christ. Sadly they do not understand that the fullness of Christ, from Christ, the Living Son of God, is in and remains in the Church Christ established. See Matthew 16 15:19; Luke 22 19:20; and John 20 21-23.

1. Our Souls are Directly created by God at the moment of our conceptions & Our Bodies are made by God through our parents.

2. We are on earth because it is a blessing from God to us for us to appreciate while we learn & grow in Love for God and each other. It was initially created perfect & for us to live forever; however, our ancestors Adam & Eve sinned bringing death into this world But Thanks be to God’s direct intercession - the Incarnation, Live & Death of our God Jesus Christ we have the ability to accept & obey Him so that when the Resurrection happens for us all, we can be raised for ever-lasting joy & life in Heaven where we will be able to See God!

3. After death: our souls immediately go to either 1. Hell (forever) 2. Purgatory (temporarily as we’re on the way to Heaven) 3. Heaven (forever) Then at the Resurrection of our bodies, we will be Judged based on what we’ve done ie. accepted Jesus into our hearts & bodies and obeyed His Commandments and will enter the final place: Hell or Heaven where we will keep our personalities and individualities while will experience the pains or pleasures with all of our senses forever (in Hell separation from God & in Heaven united with God).

4. I follow the Catholic Church over any other because it is the only one in which I am able to receive Jesus in the Eucharist and also because it is the only religion that appeals to all senses: Sight (statues/icons/vestments) Smell (candles & incense) Taste (the Body & Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ) Touch (beads of the Rosary) Hearing (the Bible at Mass/Singing of Praises/Chanting of Prayers) plus it also touches the Spirit (Direct Connection with God) the Mind (Theology & a rich History) the Soul (Confession) the Body (Charity/Fasting). In other words the Catholic Faith intergrates ever part of our being as humans ~ just as you might expect the One Holy True Faith would do.

Become a Catholic :slight_smile: What else is there?

All things were created by God.

To know God and to serve Him. To love one another.

Those who die in a state of grace will go either to heaven or temporarily to purgatory then heaven. Those who die separated from God will go to hell.

Because I believe the teachings of the Catholic Church to be more true (or more complete) than the teachings of non-Catholic religions and philosophies.

Without reading Randy’s comment first, I pretty much said the same thing!

1. We came from the Love of God. All things were made by HIM. “Preexistence” is a man-made concept. At the moment of conception, the soul is immediately fused to the body. The soul is eternal and can never be destroyed. God knows past, present & future and lives in the Eternal NOW as there is NO TIME with God - He was and and is and always “will be” or exist, the great I AM & the Word who was with the Father since the Beginning - see John 6 & the 7 I AM’s of Christ. God is omniscient and *know all things * especially before their “time”. Our ways are NOT HIS WAYS. The lack of Bible scholarship on part of 19th century ignorant Americans in particular has resulted in easy fabrications & deplorable departures from Bible Truth.

Perhaps you could google St. Thomas Aquinas and read into the Summa pertaining to attributes of God for your edification.

1. Simply: to KNOW, LOVE AND SERVE GOD & to be happy with Him in this life and for all eternity in the next. All things created by God are good. He created this planet of beauty for US. It is an incomparable, exquisite gift to mankind. God is LOVE and His LOVE is the greatest thing that exists, not our goal of becoming “like him” which due to the “nature of our nature” can never happen. Our souls are of divine origin but we are NOT DIVINE. Any man’s idea of becoming or evolving into “God” is a repeat idea of the fall of Satan = PRIDE @ it’s WORST = to be as the Father is one big colossal mistake, no joke.

3, After this life, we go to OUR distinct choice of destination. We ASSIGN OURSELVES to the place either DEVOID of GOD’S LOVE by our OWN MAKING or we CHOOSE to LIVE IN ETERNAL LOVE WITH HIM FOREVER IN HEAVEN. Simple as that; personally I hope for the place that He has gone ahead and already prepared for ME! = heaven: As scripture says we live like the angels, there is no need to procreate in heaven. The number of souls that have been created by God at that point is perfect; either redeemed or they will have rejected God’s Love = lost.

1. There simply is no other “religion” but are plenty of philosophies around rejecting in whole or part the Truth of Christ; well, you could say the Orthodox are the Left Lung and the RCC the Right Lung of the Church as per the formidable and astute theologian John Paul II. Our Jewish brethren are part and parcel of the same group, our grandparents in the faith. There is ONLY one Church, one Body, one Lord and we are all the members of the SAME BODY as established by Christ Jesus, ALL the rest are members including LDS of the same ONE, holy, catholic (universal) and apostolic Church according to scripture and ancient tradition (See the Fathers of the Church). Christ Himself came to fulfill the Old with the New and that Truth as never fallen or changed as per His promise “I will be with you always”; He is existing with us in the Eucharist. So no where else TO GO!

“Budda had noone to preannounce him and his message or tell the day when he would sit under the tree.”

“Confucius did not have the name of his mother and his birthplace recorded, nor were they given to men centuries before he arrived, so that when he did come, men would know that he was a messenger from God.”

“But with Christ it was different. Because of the old testiment prophecies, his coming was not unexpected.”

“There were not predictions about Budda, Confucius, Lao-tze, Mohammed, or anyone else; but there were predictions about Christ.”

Christ was predicted to be born of the tribe of Juda, from the house of David, would be born of a virgin, and lay down his life. Once these prophecies were fulfilled historically in the person of Christ, not only did the prophecies stop, but sacrifices stopped after Christ,the Pascal lamb was sacrificed.

“How did the Magi of the East know of his coming? Probably by the many prophecies circulating through the world by the Jews as well as through the prophesy made to the Gentiles by Daniel centuries before his birth.”

The above is from the Life of Christ by Sheen.

Just some thoughts to flag “the” church.

You may want to read this about the falacy of Islam and Mohammad, by one who was once Islamic and believed in the Kuran.

answering-islam.org/Testimonies/walid.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.