Questions for clarification on the views of the Church

I am currently emabarking on a mini-research project comparing contemporary views/beliefs of varying denominations and how such beliefs are often predicated by historical precedence for religion class that I am taking. Please help me. The idea is not to pass judgement on the views or beliefs but rather to clarify with specificity 5 different denomination’s views. (the questions are incredibly easy!) You don’t have to offer details,or explanations. (if you would like to I would greatly appreciate it) :slight_smile: And anyone who answers doesn’t haveto answer ALL the questions, 1 or 2 is fine.

Thanks!

1. What is the view of the Catholic church on abortion? Are there any exceptions? rape, incest, etc.

2. Is it possible to reconcile the belief in God, as a Catholic, with Intelligent Design, or Evolution rather than creationism?

3. Please offer your opinion on gay clergy (not confined to priests) especially with the recent edict from the Vatican regarding the issue.

4. What is the origination of the cossak?

5. Why are there no female counterparts (with equal responsibilities) to priests?

6. What role do nuns play in the church?

7. Which is worse venial or mortal sin?

8. Could you explain the Holy Trinity and its significance in daily life/activities?

9. Do you believe in born-again Christians?

10. Do you believe that God is omniscient and omnipotent?

Thanks again!

Marsden

[/FONT]

1. What is the view of the Catholic church on abortion? Are there any exceptions? rape, incest, etc.

From The Catechism of the Catholic Church
Search: scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

2271 Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law: 

You shall not kill the embryo by abortion and shall not cause the newborn to perish.

God, the Lord of life, has entrusted to men the noble mission of safeguarding life, and men must carry it out in a manner worthy of themselves. Life must be protected with the utmost care from the moment of conception: abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes.

2272 Formal cooperation in an abortion constitutes a grave offense. The Church attaches the canonical penalty of excommunication to this crime against human life. “A person who procures a completed abortion incurs excommunication latae sententiae,” “by the very commission of the offense,” and subject to the conditions provided by Canon Law. The Church does not thereby intend to restrict the scope of mercy. Rather, she makes clear the gravity of the crime committed, the irreparable harm done to the innocent who is put to death, as well as to the parents and the whole of society.

2322 From its conception, the child has the right to life. Direct abortion, that is, abortion willed as an end or as a means, is a “criminal” practice (GS 27 § 3), gravely contrary to the moral law. The Church imposes the canonical penalty of excommunication for this crime against human life.

2274 Since it must be treated from conception as a person, the embryo must be defended in its integrity, cared for, and healed, as far as possible, like any other human being.

Prenatal diagnosis is morally licit, “if it respects the life and integrity of the embryo and the human fetus and is directed toward its safe guarding or healing as an individual. . . . It is gravely opposed to the moral law when this is done with the thought of possibly inducing an abortion, depending upon the results: a diagnosis must not be the equivalent of a death sentence.”

Short answer, Abortion is not permitted under any circumstance, no exceptions.

[quote=marsden]Thanks again!

Marsden

[/FONT]
[/quote]

1. Direct abortion is wrong, no exceptions for rape and incest.
  2. Yes.
  3. Not sure exactly what you want here. I grieve over the battles going on in the Lutheran, Methodist, etc. denominations. The whole thing makes me sad. I know so many people deeply angry over the issue.
  4. You mean a cassock, I think. I don’t know its history.
  5. Why were the 12 apostles men and had no female counterparts with the same role? Jesus picked them, ask him.
  6. Nuns in particular (not active orders) do a lot of praying. They are a part of Christ’s body, and no member can say to another that they don’t need them.
  7. From what perspective? If I do a mortal sin, I can be messing up my life and maybe those around me a lot more than if I do a venial sin. However, even venial sin offends God.
  8. No, I cannot offer a pithy explanation of Trinity. Too huge a topic. The Trinity is relevant to every moment of my life. For example, God loves his Son. I want to imitate that or enter into that in my life. My relationships should model that. Of course, God (the Trinity) created me. I wouldn’t be talking to you otherwise, so it is totally related to my everyday life.
  9. Of course not, I believe in God, not a bunch of people! ;)That’s not what you meant, though. Yes, I am born again.
  10. Yes, as you probably intend the question, yes.

My affiliation: Catholic. Level of detail in my answers: cursory.

**2. Is it possible to reconcile the belief in God, as a Catholic, with Intelligent Design, or Evolution rather than creationism? **

Yes, provided it is understood that God is the “Intelligent Designer” behind the design of creation, and that God is The Creator, and provided that it is affirmed that the human race began with the single human pair, Adam and Eve.

[quote=marsden]I am currently emabarking on a mini-research project comparing contemporary views/beliefs of varying denominations and how such beliefs are often predicated by historical precedence for religion class that I am taking. Please help me. The idea is not to pass judgement on the views or beliefs but rather to clarify with specificity 5 different denomination’s views. (the questions are incredibly easy!) You don’t have to offer details,or explanations. (if you would like to I would greatly appreciate it) :slight_smile: And anyone who answers doesn’t haveto answer ALL the questions, 1 or 2 is fine.

Thanks!

I believe the Catholic view on abortion is no and no to any exceptions. My view is the same.

1. Is it possible to reconcile the belief in God, as a Catholic, with Intelligent Design, or Evolution rather than creationism?

I believe in Creationism. The creater being God (Yahweh).There may be ‘truths’ to explain some things not contained in the Bible but they are not the final subject matter expert.

1. Please offer your opinion on gay clergy (not confined to priests) especially with the recent edict from the Vatican regarding the issue.

I understand that we all sin and each struggles with their own thorn. For example I do not think that there is a gay Christian. It seems to be contradictory. Yes Christians sin but I would think that they wouldn’t stay in that capacity for a long time. I would rather have an upstanding man serving in leadership positions but will not discount someone who used to do that. If that person has been ‘caught’ doing it then the right thing to do is step down from that position or be removed. Whichever comes first. For me there would be no exceptions for the office of the Pope to have been gay, drunkard, adulterer and etc… To me that would be contradictory to the Bible. I have no idea what the catchesism states.

1. What is the origination of the cossak?

I do not know what that is.

1. Why are there no female counterparts (with equal responsibilities) to priests?

There are several scriptural references (OT and NT) to draw from to explain why there is not a female couterpart. Females have roles that are just as important.

1. What role do nuns play in the church?
    Females can take vows of celibacy and devotion to Jesus. There is nothing that says they can’t. I think they assist with education, health and spiritual matters.

2. Which is worse venial or mortal sin?

Based upon the definitions I have read I would say mortal. I thought that there were some sins worse than others but did not have a word to define it. Although transgressing the law is sin any way you slice it.

1. Could you explain the Holy Trinity and its significance in daily life/activities?

Wow this is a loaded and deep question. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit have different roles but are in one accord. They are ever present in my life and without their love and guidance I could do nothing. There is so much more that one could say about the Holy Trinity.

1. Do you believe in born-again Christians?

Yes. One who hears/reads the word believes it and puts their trust in Jesus. Repents of their sins and is baptized. It is by the grace of God that we are now his children.

1. Do you believe that God is omniscient and omnipotent?

Yes.

Thanks again!

Marsden

[/FONT]
[/quote]

My pleasure. I go to college too and more than happy to assist anyone else in their academic endevours.

I guess you might need to categorize me somewhere. I would have to say non-denominational.

:slight_smile: Melissa

It is the murder of an innocent person. NO.

Yes

Read carefully what you think the Vatican has said. I personally find nothing wrong with Celibate Gay clergy.

I’m not Russian so I don’t know. IF your asking about the Cassock? It’s the common dress from the middle-ages It is the beggers habit refined in material and style. Many Middle-Eastern cultures still have this type (shorter) of clothing in common use.

Just as there are no male mothers or female fathers. No male can be a mother and no female can be a father.

Primarily that of prayer. They also take on the traditional role of mothers in the care, both physical and spiritual of others. They also provide for the education of children specifically orphans. As Mary cared for Christ.

All sin offends God. Mortal sin kills the ability to share in the Divine life of God

Three persons in one Divine God acting in and through His creation

Of course “Born Again of water and the Spirit”

Yes

I apologize…I did mean cassock

3. Please offer your opinion on gay clergy (not confined to priests) especially with the recent edict from the Vatican regarding the issue.

I agree with the Pope’s ban against homosexual men from entering the priesthood.

I take it you’re refering to the priestly vestment the cassock. It was the type of clothing common among the Romans during the early years of Christianity for both layman and clergy. I don’t know which century but the style of dress changed among the laymen to shorter garments but the clergy continued to dress as the earlier Chrisitans had dressed.

5. Why are there no female counterparts (with equal responsibilities) to priests?

Basically, because both Jesus and His Apostles - when administering the Sacrment of Ordination - only ordained men. The Catholic Church has always done the same. For a deeper explaination see Pope John Paul II’s letter to the faithful: ORDINATIO SACERDOTALIS

vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_22051994_ordinatio-sacerdotalis_en.html

6. What role do nuns play in the church?

There are many roles available: as teachers, ministering to the needs of the poor or sick, as witnessess to the Evangelical Virtues of dedicated virginity, poverty and obedience in the service of Christ through His Church to the world.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit: refusing God’s offer of forgiveness.

See: ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/UNFORGIV.HTM

8. Could you explain the Holy Trinity and its significance in daily life/activities?

By the Holy Trinity we recognize that God is One in Three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The significance of this is that we worship God “in truth” when we give adoration to each Person throughout our daily prayers to God.

9. Do you believe in born-again Christians?

Absolutely. We are adopted into the family of God and made a new creation in Christ through baptism.

10. Do you believe that God is omniscient and omnipotent?

Yes.

Keep the Faith
jmt

[quote=marsden]I

[/FONT]
[/quote]

are you referring to the Ukranian cavalry?

we are not here to do your homework. begin with the CA homepage, read the articles, tracts, library, and This Rock back issues which amply address your questions, the come here to discuss the fine points. You cannot cite anonymous answers from us on this forum as a source in an academic paper in any case.

Sorry, read too hastily and misunderstood the question. Mortal sin is the greater evil.

See: catholic.com/library/Mortal_Sin.asp

[quote=puzzleannie]are you referring to the Ukranian cavalry?

we are not here to do your homework. begin with the CA homepage, read the articles, tracts, library, and This Rock back issues which amply address your questions, the come here to discuss the fine points. You cannot cite anonymous answers from us on this forum as a source in an academic paper in any case.
[/quote]

Just to let everyone know, I know the true origination of the cossack but it is integral to my research that I incorporate such a significant historical reference. By mid week i should have most of the leg work completed regarding the surveys and will be sure to post some interesting points that may be unbeknownst to even the most devout. As I have stated previously the answers to my questions are not expected, nor will they be purported to be fact, but rather opinion within the interpretation of teachings and texts of varying denominations… I apologize for the misunderstanding and am continuously appreciative of the time that each of you have taken out of your day.

:slight_smile:

Marsden

[quote=John Taylor]5. Why are there no female counterparts (with equal responsibilities) to priests?

Basically, because both Jesus and His Apostles - when administering the Sacrment of Ordination - only ordained men. The Catholic Church has always done the same. For a deeper explaination see Pope John Paul II’s letter to the faithful: ORDINATIO SACERDOTALIS

vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_22051994_ordinatio-sacerdotalis_en.html

[/quote]

I do not get why the Vatican continues to interpret the Bible and Jesus’ life separate from Jesus’ Middle Eastern upbringing. Jesus is God but he was also born in a Middle Eastern society and grew up with a Middle Eastern culture. In such a culture, even a situation as simple as a female talking to a male has complex dynamics that do not apply to most cultures today.

Most of us Catholics defend limiting priesthood to males by saying that Jesus only chose males. However, considering his Middle Eastern upbringing, it is no wonder that Jesus had chosen only male disciples. If he had been born in year 2000, do you think Jesus would choose only male disciples?

The Vatican tries to go around this limited defense http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_22051994_ordinatio-sacerdotalis_en.html by saying that "To these fundamental reasons the document adds other theological reasons which illustrate the appropriateness of the divine provision, and it also shows clearly that **Christ’s way of acting did not proceed from sociological or cultural motives peculiar to his time. ** As Paul VI later explained: “The real reason is that, in giving the Church her fundamental constitution, **her theological anthropology-thereafter always followed by the Church’s Tradition- Christ established things in this way.”(**4)

This is no explanation! It’s just a statement of what the Vatican **thinks ** Jesus was thinking at that time. But because the Vatican wasn’t there at the time that Jesus committed all of those actions/decisions, no one really knows for sure why Jesus did what he did. Jesus did not utter words that explicitly said that he wanted only males to be his disciples. The Vatican gave its own interpretation of the Bible.

I have been a Catholic all my life but it always pains me when I feel pressured to accept a Church “truth” just because the Vatican said so. God is omniscient but the Vatican and the Church are made up of humans who are not omniscient and infallible. To assert that, as a Catholic, I must adhere to every rule that the Church/Vatican rolls out is a throwback from the days when the Church/Vatican pillaged diverse communities in the name of God.

It’s a good thing for us Catholics to remember as well that the Church/Vatican is not all-knowing nor humble. It took hundreds of years before the Church/Vatican apologized for putting Galileo on trial.

I believe in God, the creator. I believe in his goodness. I believe that my life’s purpose is to share and use the gifts he has blessed me with to uplift the lives of my fellow humans and his other creatures. I do not believe in the infallibility of the Catholic Church (in practical terms = Vatican).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.