Questions for Lutherans

If I remember correctly from Documentary-Type Movies on Luther, supporting him, he states he didn’t feel God’s presence when he was in the Church…

Doesn’t the book of Jude say don’t follow God-Less men’s teachings, due to this I wonder, why follow Luther’s teachings?

Don’t try to bait Lutherans with silly troll questions. The Lutherans we have here are quite nice.

I guess your right…I was just wondering, because I don’t know many Lutherans

=studychristian;9524472]If I remember correctly from Documentary-Type Movies on Luther, supporting him, he states he didn’t feel God’s presence when he was in the Church…

Aren’t there times when you don’t feel His presence? I think that’s the case of any Christian. Simply because there were times that anyone doesn’t feel God’s presence, doesn’t mean they are Godless.

Doesn’t the book of Jude say don’t follow God-Less men’s teachings, due to this I wonder, why follow Luther’s teachings?

Lutherans do not follow Luther. We preach Christ and Him crucified. And even many of Luthers opinions are not accepted by Lutherans - Sola scriptura holds all teachers accountable, including Luther.
Regardless of one’s feeling about Luther’s teachings, I think it far afield to claim he was a Godless man. Pope Benedict has often spoken positively about Luther’s faith.

Jon

While the questions is a bit pointed, and without debating the facts, we Lutherans are hopefully good at separating Luther’s good points from his many dubious points. We make no special claims about Martin Luther, only that he had a few good ideas on a few issues.

Our churches are called “Lutheran” out of tradition, but we don’t follow Luther as a man - we follow God, tradition, scripture, our confession, and our creeds.

Frankly, in my opinion, a proper Lutheran church should be very close to a Catholic church.

After you have become comfortable and secure in your Catholic faith, you may want to attend an early Mass and then see what a Lutheran service is like - especially a LC-MS or WELS. Remember, don’t commune. But - you’ll come away with a good appreciation of your own Mass and perhaps understand that we Lutherans are at least trying to do God’s will.

Thank you for your kind words.

Jon

Luther did give people the Bible and he did help out in his city, he is a good guy. Most Lutherans take part in the Eucharist. Lutherans are cool, thanks for pointing this out. :thumbsup:

Without getting into all the particulars of this - What Luther did was unleash a double edged sword.

Peace
James

Wow… just wow.

Pope Benedict XVI recently said that Luther was probably just misunderstood and perhaps the Catholic church should reconsider his excommunication.

Luther was a giant among men.

Of course there are Lutherans of all stripes, just like their are Catholics of all stripes. I find Lutherans to be just lovely.

Don’t believe everything you read about Luther. He had a penchant for sarcasm and used it often.

Luther actually seems quite cool, now when I look into it.

I love Luther. He was a bit irreverent, but I’m convinced he loved God with all his heart. If you’d like I can give you the link for a great site where all lthings Luther are discussed from his own teachings. No spin

However out of respect for the Catholics here, send me a pm and I’ll provide it that way.

I honestly think that if the Catholic church had take a step back from all the forces going on in the world, Luther could have been one of their greatest spokesmen. It’s fairly well accepted that the Pope at the time, was not a favorite.

I accept that it is all God’s providence.

Luther came around towards his end. He was quoted as saying, “It is easier to live as a protestant. But it is better to die as a Catholic.” If only he had the hindsight of his actions he never would have split from the Church. Then maybe the mayhem that has become protestantism would have been contained and we’d all be together serving Christ as Christ wanted and receiving the Sacraments. He lacked the faith in Christ that others who saw all the same things happening in the Church that he did. He chose to split from Christianity and create his own faith, his own version of it. Whereas the Saints of that time who saw the same scandals worked within the Church or simply prayed and kept the faith that Christ would restore His Church. And He did. Christ always restores His Church because He is ever with the Catholic Church, keeping it from teaching error and ever guiding it to the end of days. What Luther did was based on his own pride of trying to perfect the Church as “he” believed. I just pray that as more interfaith dialogue occurs, more and more people will see this and come home to Christ’s One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.