Questions for our Anglican members

A couple of questions I have. I have an Episcopalian Anglican friend and had an Anglican teacher, but I would like to know more about what different Anglicans believe :slight_smile:

[LIST=1]
*]What makes Episcopalians difference from most Anglicans?
*]What is the difference between the Catholic view of Mary as opposed to yours or your Church’s
*]Does all of the Anglican Church ordain married priests and women?
*]Does your church ordain gay clergy?
*]What’s the difference between your view on Jesus’ mother Mary, as opposed to the Catholic Church’s? In Catholicism we have several dogmas. We have several distinct beliefs about Mary. She was born without sin (immaculate conception), stayed a virgin all her life (perpetual virginity), ascended bodily into Heaven (the assumption).
*]Can you pray to Mary and the saints?
*]Do you pray the Hail Mary?
*]Do you pray the rosary?
*]Do you believe in saints?
]Do you believe in a literal and eternal Heaven and Hell?]Are you beliefs on moral issues (such as abortion, gay marriage, birth control etc.) similar or different than the Catholic Church’s?
[/LIST]

:popcorn:

Could you please share some of that popcorn! :stuck_out_tongue:

I am a former Episcopalian so I will try. Bear in mind that during my Episcopal days I was very conservative and 'high church Anglo Catholic. Episcopalians exist only in the US and Scotland, the rest are Anglicans. This is due to political factors at the time when the US became independent from Britain.

Episcopalians have different ideas about Our Lady depending on the churchmanship. There are Episcopalians who say the rosary and belong to the Society of Mary and Episcopalians who have more Protestant ideas about the Theotokos.

Episcopalians ordain married and celibate men and women, but there are others parts of the Anglican communion who ordain only men.

Some US Episcopal bishops ordain active homosexuals, but others will ordain only celibate homosexuals.

See above on Our Lady, it depends on the specific Episcopalian.

Personally I pray to the Virgin and Saints and pray the rosary and did when I was still Episcopal.

I believe in heaven and hell, but not as physical ‘places’ that you can put on a map.

As you can see there is a lot of diversity amoung individual Episcopalians and Anglicans. I have the idea that all it takes to be accepted as an Episcopalian is to pay your pledge and have good taste.

As GKC says “Anglicans are a motley crew” and that is why I left. They really have no definite beliefs and about anything “goes”.

I hope that someone with a more positive idea about the Episcopal church can give a more balanced post, someone like Contrarini for example.

Sure! If we run out, I can pop some more! lol.

I hope we get a response or two from a real, current Episcopalian and many fewer joke about popcorn which have nothing to do with anything the OP said or anything else. :tsktsk:

:thumbsup:

I hope we don’t get more scolding for our delight in popcorn. :egyptian:

Sorry, couldn’t resist. :o

Episcopalians are Anglicans. This would be like asking what makes Russian Orthodox different from Orthodox.

2 What is the difference between the Catholic view of Mary as opposed to yours or your Church’s

I believe Mary to be the Theotokos. The Episcopal Church has no other doctrines about Mary.

3 Does all of the Anglican Church ordain married priests and women?

I can only speak for the Episcopal Church and the answer is yes.

4 Does your church ordain gay clergy?

Yes. If they are not married, they are required to remain celibate just like straight individuals.

5 What’s the difference between your view on Jesus’ mother Mary, as opposed to the Catholic Church’s? In Catholicism we have several dogmas. We have several distinct beliefs about Mary. She was born without sin (immaculate conception), stayed a virgin all her life (perpetual virginity), ascended bodily into Heaven (the assumption).

I believe she is the Theotokos. I have no issue with the PV, IC or Assumption but they are not a required belief among Episcopalians.

6 Can you pray to Mary and the saints?

Some do but mostly we simply ask for their continued prayers.

7 Do you pray the Hail Mary?

No

8 Do you pray the rosary?

No

9 Do you believe in saints?

Yes. TEC believes in the communion of saints.

10 Do you believe in a literal and eternal Heaven and Hell?

Yes

11 Are you beliefs on moral issues (such as abortion, gay marriage, birth control etc.) similar or different than the Catholic Church’s?

I am pro-life, anti birth control, and pro same sex civil unions.

:slight_smile:

Motley.

GKC

We were all waiting for this. :smiley:

I aims to please.

GKC

I always wondered why Orthodox maps look different from our Catholic ones. :slight_smile:

If I understand you rightly, many in your church don’t refer to that as "praying to … ". Is that right?

Not going to say the TEC as a whole as some say the Rosary and all but in my parish we simply ask for the continued prayers of all the saints that have gone before us.

The Episcopal Church, the American province of the Anglican Communion (though our present Presiding Bishop seems bent on redefining us as an international, self-standing denomination), is on the whole more liberal than other parts of the Anglican Communion, and certainly more liberal than other American churches which call themselves Anglican (which have separated from us precisely because they think we are too liberal). It is also on the whole one of the more “Catholic” provinces, largely because if you are a low-church Protestant in America you have lots of other choices. So whereas many Anglicans worldwide (and the breakaway “Anglican Church in North America” here) would be best described as similar to other evangelicals but more liturgical, Episcopalians as a whole could be described as “like Catholics but more liberal.” (These are huge generalizations, of course.)

*]What is the difference between the Catholic view of Mary as opposed to yours or your Church’s

You asked this question twice.

*]Does all of the Anglican Church ordain married priests and women?

Not all provinces of the worldwide Communion do, no, but on the whole the practice is spreading. Among the groups that have split away in the U.S., the “Continuing Anglicans” (represented here by the poster GKC) decidedly do not, and the more recent “ACNA” is divided on the issue.

*]Does your church ordain gay clergy?

I don’t think any Episcopalians, and probably few if any Anglicans, would object to ordaining celibate gay clergy. If you mean clergy who are openly in gay relationships, the Episcopal Church as a whole does not forbid this, and probably (though I’m not sure about that) most dioceses do it. My own does not ordain people who are not either celibate or married (defining marriage as the union of a man and a woman).

*]What’s the difference between your view on Jesus’ mother Mary, as opposed to the Catholic Church’s? In Catholicism we have several dogmas. We have several distinct beliefs about Mary. She was born without sin (immaculate conception), stayed a virgin all her life (perpetual virginity), ascended bodily into Heaven (the assumption).

Anglicans generally reject the IC and the Assumption. The more Catholic Anglicans accept the perpetual virginity, at least as a pious opinion worthy of respect. But there is no binding teaching on the subject (we have only minimal binding teaching).

*]Can you pray to Mary and the saints?

No one has ever tried to stop me from doing so privately. Only a very few Episcopal churches would do so publicly as a congregation (the parish where I was confirmed did so; the two others I’ve attended regularly, and most of the ones I’ve visited, did not).

*]Do you pray the Hail Mary?
*]Do you pray the rosary?

Yes (obviously a “yes” to the second implies a yes to the first, but I also pray the Angelus and typically say a Hail Mary when I encounter a statue of Our Lady). Not very regularly, mind you.

*]Do you believe in saints?

Anglicans celebrate saints’ days, if that’s what you are asking.

]Do you believe in a literal and eternal Heaven and Hell?]

I have trouble getting my head around the word “literal” in this context. Heaven and hell are apocalyptic realities that lie beyond the bounds of our current experience. I don’t see how any language about them can possibly be “literal.” But if you mean “real and not just a metaphor,” then yes. I believe in such a heaven and hell, and the language of the Prayer Book clearly implies such a belief. However, Episcopalians tend not to talk much about hell, and many are universalists or annihilationists. Many more, including myself, more or less, are “hopeful universalists” who think it possible that all will be saved while believing in the real possibility of eternal damnation.

Are you beliefs on moral issues (such as abortion, gay marriage, birth control etc.) similar or different than the Catholic Church’s?
[/LIST]

The Episcopal Church as a whole has no objection to birth control, does not take an official stance on gay marriage but tends to support gay rights in general and has recently allowed for the celebration of gay unions without calling them marriages; and has no clear position on abortion but again tends to be “pro-choice” in its public lobbying activities. The dean of one Episcopal seminary called abortion a “blessing” a few years ago:mad:. My own bishop has no stance on birth control that I know of but does not allow his clergy to celebrate gay unions and is opposed to abortion.

As for myself, I accept Catholic teaching. And before you ask, yes I intend to follow through on this conviction shortly (I am about to move to Kentucky and the local Catholic priest advised me to wait and go through the process there–I’m happy to do this because I love my local parish, as I have loved every Episcopal parish I’ve been part of).

Edwin

Good. I’ll be watching.

And I encounter a statue of Our Lady every time I enter the sanctuary.

GKC

Except that Episcopalians are Anglicans but not all Anglicans are Episcopalians, each of your questions could be answered sincerely with a “yes” or “no” depending on who you ask.

Looking at my answers, I see that the OP asked whether all Anglicans ordain “married priests and women.” My answer pertained only to the “women” part. All Anglicans do ordain married priests. Some very Anglo-Catholic Anglicans have been known, from time to time, to suggest that maybe celibacy is preferable (though mostly I’ve encountered this in Victorian novels making fun of Anglo-Catholics), but it’s certainly not required in any Anglican jurisdiction, and the vast majority of Anglican clergy are married.

Edwin

You’ve pretty much received the spectrum of beliefs. I noticed you asked similar questions of Lutherans. Are you just curious, or is there a specific reason you are asking?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.