Questions for Protestants (please answer yes, no or scripture verse):

1. Who do you think God used to preserve the Scriptures? Was it not the Catholic Church? Martin Luther admitted to as much…will you?
  2. Were they Lutheran/Presbyterian/Baptist/Methodist,etc. monasteries, or Catholic monasteries?
  3. Is not the word “scripture” itself from the Latin word scriptura (which means “written things”)?
  4. Which Church was it again that used Latin?
  5. Where in the Bible does it say that we should go by the Bible alone when it comes to all matters pertaining to faith and morals? Scripture verse?
  6. Where in the Bible does it list the books which should be part of the Bible? Scripture verse?
  7. Where in the Bible does it say that public revelation ended with the death of the last apostle? Scripture verse?
  8. Do you believe the writer of the Gospel of Mark was inspired by the Holy Spirit? Yes or no?
  9. If yes, where in the Bible does it say that the writer of the Gospel of Mark was inspired by the Holy Spirit? Scripture verse?
  10. Do you believe the writer of the Letter to the Hebrews was inspired by the Holy Spirit?
  11. If yes, where in the Bible does it tell us that the writer of the Letter to the Hebrews was inspired by the Holy Spirit? Scripture verse?
  12. Where in the Bible does it tell us who the writer of the Letter to the Hebrews was? Scripture verse?
  1. Do you interpret the Bible? Yes or no?
  2. If the answer to #13 is yes, is your interpretation infallible? Yes or no?
  3. If the answer to #14 is no, then will you admit that your interpretations of the Bible could be wrong in one or more places? Yes or no?
  4. If the answer to #13 is yes, then does anyone have the authority to tell you, that your interpretations of the Bible are wrong? Yes or no?
  5. If the answer to #16 is yes, then who? Just one name please.
  6. Can those who do not have God’s approval be saved? Yes or no?
  7. Did the Apostles teach different doctrines to different people? Yes or no?
  8. Did the Apostles and other leaders of the early Church believe it was okay to have false doctrines within the Church? Yes or no?
  9. Did the Apostles break fellowship with those who were teaching different doctrines than they were teaching? Yes or no?
  10. Did Jesus and the Apostles demand conformity to the doctrines they taught? Yes or no?
  11. Were the Apostles infallible in their teaching on faith and morals? Yes or no?
  12. Can you be “one” with someone who believes in false doctrines? Yes or no?
  13. In your church, can two walk together if they are not in agreement? Yes or no?
  14. Did Jesus give his real flesh or his symbolic flesh for the life of the world? Real or symbolic?
  15. Did Jesus say that the bread he would give us to eat, which, if we ate we would live for ever, was the flesh that He would give for the life of the world? Yes or no?
  16. Did Jesus say that we had to eat His flesh and drink His blood in order to have eternal life? Yes or no?
  17. Did Jesus say that His flesh was food indeed and that His blood was drink indeed? Yes or no? 31) Do you believe the Body of Christ, the church, with Jesus as its head, can teach error in the areas of faith and morals? Yes or no?
  18. Do you believe the Body of Christ, the church, with Jesus as its head, can teach error in the areas of faith and morals? Yes or no?
  19. Can God appear to you under any form He chooses? Yes or no?
  20. Is the correlation I am drawing between the flesh that Jesus shall give for the life of the world and the bread that Jesus shall give us to eat, found in John 6:51? Yes or no?
  21. Do we need to eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus Christ in order to have eternal life? Yes or no?
  22. If the answer to #35 is yes, then can we say that His flesh does indeed profit us? Yes or no?
  23. If the answer to #36 is yes, then does verse 62 of John 6 mean that it counts as nothing to eat Jesus’ flesh and to drink His blood? Yes or no?
  24. Does Jesus’ flesh “count for nothing?” Yes or no?
  25. Are you an authentic interpreter of Scripture? Yes or no?
  26. If #37 is yes, is your interpretation of Scripture infallible? Yes or no?
  27. Am I an authentic interpreter of Scripture? Yes or no?
  28. If you are not an authentic interpreter of Scripture, then who is?

Thank you.

Yes.

1. Were they Lutheran/Presbyterian/Baptist/Methodist,etc. monasteries, or Catholic monasteries?

Objection, your honor, the question is argumentative. “sustainded”

1. Is not the word “scripture” itself from the Latin word scriptura (which means “written things”)?

Yes

1. Which Church was it again that used Latin?

Objection, your honor, the question is argumentative. “sustainded”

1. Where in the Bible does it say that we should go by the Bible alone when it comes to all matters pertaining to faith and morals? Scripture verse?

1 Cor 4:6 Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively applied to myself and Apollos for your sakes, so that in us you may learn not to exceed what is written, so that no one of you will become arrogant in behalf of one against the other.

1. Where in the Bible does it list the books which should be part of the Bible? Scripture verse?

It does’nt

1. Where in the Bible does it say that public revelation ended with the death of the last apostle? Scripture verse?

Gal 1:8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! 9As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!

8.Do you believe the writer of the Gospel of Mark was inspired by the Holy Spirit? Yes or no?

Yes

1. If yes, where in the Bible does it say that the writer of the Gospel of Mark was inspired by the Holy Spirit? Scripture verse?

Objection, your Honor, the question is irrelevant. “sustained”

yes

1. If the answer to #13 is yes, is your interpretation infallible?

No

1. If the answer to #14 is no, then will you admit that your interpretations of the Bible could be wrong in one or more places?

yes

1. If the answer to #13 is yes, then does anyone have the authority to tell you, that your interpretations of the Bible are wrong?

yes

1. If the answer to #16 is yes, then who? Just one name please.

Objection, your Honor, the question calls for a narrative answer. “sustained” Those who study and are approved by God. Those whom God chooses to reveal Himself to.

1. Can those who do not have God’s approval be saved?

No

1. Did the Apostles teach different doctrines to different people?

No

1. Did the Apostles and other leaders of the early Church believe it was okay to have false doctrines within the Church?

No

1. Did the Apostles break fellowship with those who were teaching different doctrines than they were teaching?

yes

1. Did Jesus and the Apostles demand conformity to the doctrines they taught?

yes

1. Were the Apostles infallible in their teaching on faith and morals?

yes

1. Can you be “one” with someone who believes in false doctrines?

No

1. Did Jesus give his real flesh or his symbolic flesh for the life of the world? Real or symbolic?

symbolic

1. Did Jesus say that the bread he would give us to eat, which, if we ate we would live for ever, was the flesh that He would give for the life of the world

yes

1. Did Jesus say that we had to eat His flesh and drink His blood in order to have eternal life?

yes

1. Did Jesus say that His flesh was food indeed and that His blood was drink indeed?

Objection, your Honor, the question has been asked and answered. “sustained”

1. Do you believe the Body of Christ, the church, with Jesus as its head, can teach error in the areas of faith and morals?

yes

1. Can God appear to you under any form He chooses?

yes

1. Is the correlation I am drawing between the flesh that Jesus shall give for the life of the world and the bread that Jesus shall give us to eat, found in John 6:51?

Yes

1. Do we need to eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus Christ in order to have eternal life?

yes

1. If the answer to #35 is yes, then can we say that His flesh does indeed profit us?

No

1. If the answer to #36 is yes, then does verse 62 of John 6 mean that it counts as nothing to eat Jesus’ flesh and to drink His blood?

yes

1. Does Jesus’ flesh “count for nothing?”

yes

1. Are you an authentic interpreter of Scripture? Yes or no?

yes

1. If #37 is yes, is your interpretation of Scripture infallible? Yes or no?

no

1. Am I an authentic interpreter of Scripture? Yes or no?

Objection, your Honor, the question calls for speculation “sustained”

I like how you avoid certain questions.

So does that quote contradict 2 Thes 2:15 which says, “So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.” ?

[quote=kaycee;2192120
]so that in us you may learn not to exceed what is written
[/quote]

, so that no one of you will become arrogant in behalf of one against the other.

That you may learn from us not to go beyond what is written: the words “to go” are not in the Greek, but have here been added as the minimum necessary to elicit sense from this difficult passage. It probably means that the Corinthians should avoid the false wisdom of vain speculation, contenting themselves with Paul’s proclamation of the cross, which is the fulfillment of God’s promises in the Old Testament (what is written). Inflated with pride: literally, “puffed up,” i.e., arrogant, filled with a sense of self-importance. The term is particularly Pauline, found in the New Testament only in 1 Cor 4:6, 18-19; 5:2; 8:1; 13:4; Col 2:18 (cf the related noun at 2 Cor 12:20). It sometimes occurs in conjunction with the theme of “boasting,” as in 1 Cor 4:6-7 here.

Oh goody a questionnaire!! :smiley:

1. Who do you think God used to preserve the Scriptures? Was it not the Catholic Church? Martin Luther admitted to as much…will you?

yes

1. Were they Lutheran/Presbyterian/Baptist/Methodist,etc. monasteries, or Catholic monasteries?

I have no idea. I don’t know my history very well. Still. But if the Bible was put together before the Reformation, the logical answer would be Catholics?

1. Is not the word “scripture” itself from the Latin word scriptura (which means “written things”)?

If you say so.

Well the Catholic Church has used Latin. I have no idea what other churches have used throughout the years.

1. Where in the Bible does it say that we should go by the Bible alone when it comes to all matters pertaining to faith and morals? Scripture verse?

I am interested in your reply to Kaycee’s reply to this question.

1. Where in the Bible does it list the books which should be part of the Bible? Scripture verse?

Nowhere

1. Where in the Bible does it say that public revelation ended with the death of the last apostle? Scripture verse?

Nowhere

Gal 1:8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! 9As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!

It only says “contrary” though. What if new public revelation is brought forth that is not contrary to what has already been taught? Is there a scripture for that, too?

8.Do you believe the writer of the Gospel of Mark was inspired by the Holy Spirit? Yes or no?

Yes

1. If yes, where in the Bible does it say that the writer of the Gospel of Mark was inspired by the Holy Spirit? Scripture verse?

Nowhere

I honestly can’t answer a yes or no. I’m not sure if I’ve ever interpreted anything myself or just read it through the eyes of teaching/preaching I’ve heard and reading I’ve done.

1. If the answer to #13 is yes, then does anyone have the authority to tell you, that your interpretations of the Bible are wrong?

I think so

Someone who knows what they’re talking about

1. Can those who do not have God’s approval be saved?

No

1. Did the Apostles teach different doctrines to different people?

no

1. Did the Apostles and other leaders of the early Church believe it was okay to have false doctrines within the Church?

No

1. Did the Apostles break fellowship with those who were teaching different doctrines than they were teaching?

Yes

1. Did Jesus and the Apostles demand conformity to the doctrines they taught?

Yes

1. Were the Apostles infallible in their teaching on faith and morals?

Yes

1. Can you be “one” with someone who believes in false doctrines?

no

1. Did Jesus give his real flesh or his symbolic flesh for the life of the world? Real or symbolic?

I don’t know

1. Did Jesus say that the bread he would give us to eat, which, if we ate we would live for ever, was the flesh that He would give for the life of the world

Yes…and also yes to 28 and 29

1. Do you believe the Body of Christ, the church, with Jesus as its head, can teach error in the areas of faith and morals?

You’re making my head hurt. :blush:

1. Can God appear to you under any form He chooses?

Sure

1. Do we need to eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus Christ in order to have eternal life? Yes or no?

Yes

1. Does Jesus’ flesh “count for nothing?” Yes or no?

NO!

The rest of them are difficult. The answers are mostly “I don’t know.” Sorry…I know a lot of mine aren’t “yes or no” answeres, but I did my best.

I did. See post #'s 4 and 5. Thanks for taking the questionnaire Curious.

The teachings of the Catholic Church cannot contradict Sacred Scripture.

In regards to the above noted questions, according to the Catholic Church - WHO is the only entity that can correctly interpret scripture? Thank you and I look forward to your response.

Part 1:

The ancient Jews, the early Christians, and modern Christians of all flavors.

Were what monastaries Catholic? I see the grand assumptions coming.

Yup.

You are joking here, right?

If it is not self evident that we are to always go to God’s Word for guidance in these matters, then that kind of development cannot come from an internet forum.

It doesn’t.

Public revelation?

I never even hear dof the term, nevermind answer this question.

1. Do you believe the writer of the Gospel of Mark was inspired by the Holy Spirit? Yes or no?

Yes.

It doesn’t.

1. Do you believe the writer of the Letter to the Hebrews was inspired by the Holy Spirit?

Yes.

1. If yes, where in the Bible does it tell us that the writer of the Letter to the Hebrews was inspired by the Holy Spirit? Scripture verse?

It doesn’t.

1. Where in the Bible does it tell us who the writer of the Letter to the Hebrews was? Scripture verse?

It doesn’t.

Are these questions supposed to be witty or profound?

Yes. Everyone does.

1. If the answer to #13 is yes, is your interpretation infallible? Yes or no?

Nope. Nobody’s is.

1. If the answer to #14 is no, then will you admit that your interpretations of the Bible could be wrong in one or more places? Yes or no?

Yup. Just like everyone elses.

1. If the answer to #13 is yes, then does anyone have the authority to tell you, that your interpretations of the Bible are wrong? Yes or no?

Yup.

Anyone who understands better than I.

1. Can those who do not have God’s approval be saved? Yes or no?

No.

(I am starting to fall asleep…)

1. Did the Apostles teach different doctrines to different people? Yes or no?

Maybe. We do not know what revelation Bartholomew may have received that Thaddaeus did not.

Contradictory doctrines? No.

1. Did the Apostles and other leaders of the early Church believe it was okay to have false doctrines within the Church? Yes or no?

No.

1. Did the Apostles break fellowship with those who were teaching different doctrines than they were teaching? Yes or no?

DIffernt doctrines? Doubtful in and of itself.

Contradictory doctrines? Yes.

continued in Part 2…

Part 2:

1. Did Jesus and the Apostles demand conformity to the doctrines they taught? Yes or no?

No.

You need to be more careful with the words you are choosing because they are altering the answers given.

1. Were the Apostles infallible in their teaching on faith and morals? Yes or no?

All the time?

No.

1. Can you be “one” with someone who believes in false doctrines? Yes or no?

Yes.

1. In your church, can two walk together if they are not in agreement? Yes or no?

Where Amos says this, he is not speaking about perfect conformity of all doctrines.

Real.

1. Did Jesus say that the bread he would give us to eat, which, if we ate we would live for ever, was the flesh that He would give for the life of the world? Yes or no?

Yes.

1. Did Jesus say that we had to eat His flesh and drink His blood in order to have eternal life? Yes or no?

Yes.

1. Did Jesus say that His flesh was food indeed and that His blood was drink indeed? Yes or no?

Yes.

1. Do you believe the Body of Christ, the church, with Jesus as its head, can teach error in the areas of faith and morals? Yes or no?

The Body of Christ does not teach anything.

ONLY persons, like men and the Holy Spirit, can teach.

1. Can God appear to you under any form He chooses? Yes or no?

Maybe as a beautiful red headed woman with a tail of spikes and hands that look like hammers?

Yes.

God can do whatever He wants.

Too bad that is not the correct question to be asking.

1. Is the correlation I am drawing between the flesh that Jesus shall give for the life of the world and the bread that Jesus shall give us to eat, found in John 6:51? Yes or no?

Yes.

PS - Christ did not say He was going to give us bread to eat. He said He was presently the bread of Heaven that must be eaten.

1. Do we need to eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus Christ in order to have eternal life? Yes or no?

Yes.

1. If the answer to #35 is yes, then can we say that His flesh does indeed profit us? Yes or no?

Question 35?

This is now a mess.

1. If the answer to #36 is yes, then does verse 62 of John 6 mean that it counts as nothing to eat Jesus’ flesh and to drink His blood? Yes or no?

36??

1. Does Jesus’ flesh “count for nothing?” Yes or no?

No.

1. Are you an authentic interpreter of Scripture? Yes or no?

What on earth is an “authentic” interpreter of Scripture?

Since I interpret God’s Word just like everyone else, and I am an authentic human being, I will say yes.

This is another case of careless terminology, IMO.

1. If #37 is yes, is your interpretation of Scripture infallible? Yes or no?

Always?

Nope.

1. Am I an authentic interpreter of Scripture? Yes or no?

I guess so, if I use my own definition for this novel term.

1. If you are not an authentic interpreter of Scripture, then who is?

Sigh.

The most worrisome part of this whole exericse is that you probably really believe you have asked some profound and deep spiritual questions that non-Catholics just cannot answer.

Okay, I’ll answer your question first. If you feel like it, please answer some/all the questions I’ve posed to you.

Each individual has the right to interpret the bible as he feels guided by the Holy Spirit. Just kidding. The Catholic Church/Magesterium(the teaching office of the Church) is the safeguard and accurate interpreter of Holy Scripture. 1 Tim. 3:15

Not at all, but thank you for being condescending.:thumbsup:

I did. See post #'s 4 and 5

Okay thanks…I think you posted them before I got finished answering the questions.

I don’t know if the OP intended the questions to be “witty” or “deep” or whatever. I found some of the them difficult to answer though.

What is humorous is that if you read your OP as a non-Catholic Christian, you would know what is condescending.

Any different from nc-christians saying?

“Have you been saved yet?”
“Do you accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior?”
“Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?”

etc. etc.

I’d call those condecending, so why do you have a problem when it is reversed? Or comments like “Tyranny of Rome” and so on.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene

Absolutely not.

That is the theory.

No, that is the truth.

Name something that the Church teaches, that contradicts scripture.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.