Questions on 1 Samuel 18:1,3

From the Douay Rheims:

And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking to Saul, the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul. And David and Jonathan made a covenant, for be loved him as his own soul.

From the NAB, Revised Edition:

By the time David finished speaking with Saul, Jonathan’s life became bound up with David’s life; he loved him as his very self. Jonathan and David made a covenant, because Jonathan loved him as his very self.

Questions:

• What is the correct and appropriate interpretation of this passage?
  • What does it mean when one's "life/soul became bound/knit up" with another's, especially in this context (they are two men; if it was one man and one woman, one might understand it as marriage, right?)?
  • Does "loved him as his very self/soul" meant "agape" love?
  • Is this "covenant" applicable in today's times (and links to articles where I can read applications of this)?

And if this is the correct area of CAF to post these questions?

Thanks a bunch :)

[quote="Rekenber, post:1, topic:311655"]
From the Douay Rheims:

And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking to Saul, the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul. And David and Jonathan made a covenant, for be loved him as his own soul.

From the NAB, Revised Edition:

By the time David finished speaking with Saul, Jonathan’s life became bound up with David’s life; he loved him as his very self. Jonathan and David made a covenant, because Jonathan loved him as his very self.

Questions:

• What is the correct and appropriate interpretation of this passage?
  • What does it mean when one's "life/soul became bound/knit up" with another's, especially in this context (they are two men; if it was one man and one woman, one might understand it as marriage, right?)?
  • Does "loved him as his very self/soul" meant "agape" love?
  • Is this "covenant" applicable in today's times (and links to articles where I can read applications of this)?

And if this is the correct area of CAF to post these questions?

Thanks a bunch :)

[/quote]

I would say it reads as more of a blood brother pact than sounding like a marriage. A covenant between people doesn't have to mean marriage. A covenant is like a promise, or a special bond. Marriage is a covenant, but not all covenants are marriages, as you can see, God has made covenants with Man.

[quote="bzkoss236, post:2, topic:311655"]
I would say it reads as more of a blood brother pact than sounding like a marriage. A covenant between people doesn't have to mean marriage. A covenant is like a promise, or a special bond. Marriage is a covenant, but not all covenants are marriages, as you can see, God has made covenants with Man.

[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification, Joseph's relationship to Mary comes also to mind :D

I do not really understand why the author of 1 Samuel described their brotherhood as "soul-bound", among the other questions I placed in there...

All the verse is saying is that David and Jonathan were very close friends. Very close. In fact, David calls him his brother in 2 Samuel 1:26 after Jonathan dies.

Both men were called to fight for the king, and Israel. The depth of sacrafice that people are called to creates a bond between soldiers. They entrust their lives to each other, and die for each other. Add to that the fact that David was so boldly, and obviously following the leading of the Holy Spirit. I believe they shared a deep faith that they recognized in each other. A unity of faith, and calling!

That’s a very inspiring take on it. :smiley:

Though one thing I noticed on either of the two passages is that:

DRA: for be loved him as his own soul.
NAB-RE: because Jonathan loved him as his very self.

I find it a bit one-sided (as I read the NAB translation), why only Jonathan? :hmmm:

Is David’s reciprocation of such brotherly love implied in here (or maybe it’s just Jonathan?! :eek:)?

If they made a covenant then they were family. Covenants create family bonds. That is the purpose of a covenant.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.