Questions on consecrated virgins

Is it okay for a consecrated virgin to spend most of her day in prayer? Also, what does “living simply” mean for a consecrated virgin. Is she allowed to have pets? Is she allowed to have a computer and an MP3 player?

I would like to know the answers to these also. As well, I understand that widows can also become “consecrated virgins”, rather than Hermits. Answers, someone?

Widows are ineligible to receive this sacramental because voluntary sexual intercourse destroys virginity. Have you read the Rite? It lays down the conditions for receiving the consecration, including the fact that one cannot have been previously married.

A CV can spend most of her day in prayer IF it is healthy for her. Most CVs have other obligations they must fulfill. Works of charity, household chores, job related activities, friendships, and other things may take a great deal of time out of the day.

Simplicity will depend on the virgin’s circumstances. An architect might live in the spirit of poverty differently than a housekeeper. Simplicity for a CEO might include black tie clothes and appropriate jewelry for job related events. Simplicity in her private life might mean curtailing legitimate pleasures in life.

Widows can’t become consecrated virgins, but they can become consecrated widows.

Not sure if this helps, but I believe this is the official page for Consecrated Virgins in the U.S.: consecratedvirgins.org/

I think for your questions, u may want to send an e-mail to the email listed on the Contact Us link of the aforementioned site.

I am already a Vowed member of a Third Order Secular Institute. Unfortunately, there are no Communities of my Order in my state anymore, neither the Third Order Secular nor the Convents or Cloisters. Since I am a widow, and unable to join with my Order in Community where I live, I have already proceeded to make the Consecration to the Blessed Virgin. I have lived in chastity since several years prior to being widowed, due to my husband being terminally ill for several years. I will speak to my Priest and my Bishop about living a more consecrated life recognized in my Diocese. I am unable to fully live the life of a Diocesan Hermit, since I have many obligations I have undertaken in my Parish. Whether these would prevent me from becoming a Diocesan Hermit, I do not know, but I don’t think so. I currently spend 5 days a week alone in my home, rather than interacting with the world around me here, but I also spend a couple of hours each day here at CAF for the purpose of learning and interaction, which comprises my “recreation” time each day. I have considered entering a monastic cloistered Convent, and have been encouraged in this by one Order, which is willing to receive me, despite my age, which is above the norm for entry to a Cloister. I am still considering this option. I intend to obtain a Spiritual Director locally this spring to assist me in my discernment of how to live my life for Christ and the Blessed Virgin. My Priest doesn’t accept many, and seldom accepts women, to act as a Spiritual Director to them. However, I did have a Spiritual Director in my former Priest, who is only 2 hours away where he is currently assigned. It is difficult, and often impossible to travel there in the winter, as I live in a mountainous region and we often have ice on the roads. I will proceed with this discernment when the ice and snow stops with a Spiritual Director. Thank you for your replies.

Judynurse… Once again I’m impressed by your motivation…

Thank you Phil, but it’s not really motivation, at least not the secular meaning of motivation as I understand it. It’s just that I love Our Lord so much, and am very dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, so want to do all I can to serve Them. I am still a Secular Franciscan, but the only one around here! Third Order Franciscans are supposed to meet in Community at least once each month, and often in small groups to help and pray for one another, and I do not have that blessing. That’s why I seek other means of keeping close to Our Lord and our Blessed Mother. I’m nothing special, just love God a lot!

No. One has to actually be a virgin. It is a assumed that if someone was married, she’s not a virgin.

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.