Questions on Fr. Robert Barron

What is everybody’s view on Fr. Robert Barron?

Overall he seems to be a good theologian, but I am curious what others think of his writings.

I was given a book written by him titled “And Now I See…The Theology of Transformation”. I am concerned if I should continue reading this book or not for several reasons:

1. There is no Nihil Obstat or Imprimatur for this book.

2. He mentions several theologians in the book that I know don’t have good standing with the Church; one of them I think he mentions simply to offer criticism on that theologian’s theological concept (Hans Küng I think). But I think he also mentions a line of thought from Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (who had run-ins with Church officials and had some of his ideas condemned by the Church). I don’t know if the particular idea Fr. Barron borrows from him is one that is in accord with Church teaching or one of Fr. Chardin’s condemned ideas.

3. Although the reviews of the book on Amazon were almost entirely positive, one review stated that the book had a “Modernist” leaning, which again makes me suspicious of the book.

Overall, I think that Fr. Barron is a decent theologian, from what I can gather about him. But given that I am not terribly familiar with Church teachings and the more in-depth theological concepts, I’d rather stay away from this book until I have a clear idea about whether it is morally acceptable or not to read.

Pax Tecum.

I leave all judgment to God. :slight_smile:

LotusCarsLtd

What is everybody’s view on Fr. Robert Barron?

Myself, I have never heard of him.

1. There is no Nihil Obstat or Imprimatur for this book.

Many books today don’t have the Imprimatur. For one, many Bishops today have the resources or time to review the many books that are out there.

1. He mentions several theologians in the book that I know don’t have good standing with the Church; one of them I think he mentions simply to offer criticism on that theologian’s theological concept (Hans Küng I think). But I think he also mentions a line of thought from Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (who had run-ins with Church officials and had some of his ideas condemned by the Church). I don’t know if the particular idea Fr. Barron borrows from him is one that is in accord with Church teaching or one of Fr. Chardin’s condemned ideas.

Pope Benedict quotes Kung in some of his writings. Pierre Teilhard De Chardin, was rejected in the early days, mostly because they couldn’t understand what he was saying. However, he eventually became a respected philosopher in the Catholic Church. I tried to read his stuff, but it was too dry for me, at the time.

1. Although the reviews of the book on Amazon were almost entirely positive, one review stated that the book had a “Modernist” leaning, which again makes me suspicious of the book.

The person who said it was Modernist, probably has an agenda of their own, which prevented them from understanding the author well enough to make a fair judgment.

Overall, I think that Fr. Barron is a decent theologian, from what I can gather about him. But given that I am not terribly familiar with Church teachings and the more in-depth theological concepts, I’d rather stay away from this book until I have a clear idea about whether it is morally acceptable or not to read.

Well, if his writings are feeding you, perhaps its the Lord who has led you to him.

Unless he contradicts Catholic Teaching, you shouldn’t be overly concerned.

Jim

I haven’t read any of his books, so I can’t comment on what you’ve seen in reviews. I have, though, seen him twice on EWTN and very much enjoyed and learned from his commentaries on the Gospel passages he addresse - he has a very engaging personal manner. Nothing I heard from him suggested anything but orthodox Catholicism. He has a website where you can download his presentations:

wordonfire.org/

Thinking about the post in retrospect, I probably shouldn’t have said this. I apologize. :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.