Questions on infallibility of the church

If I understand correctly, the church is infallible on matters of faith and morals?

1. are catholics expected to have blind faith…follow the church without looking into the matters of faith and morals themselves and finding that they have (or haven’t) have logic and reason?

2. how does the infallibility work? I’ve been told it is protected against teaching false doctrine in matters of faith and morals? Does this mean it can never teach wrong or that it can but it will quickly be resolved? For example peter was rebuked?

3. I’ve heard that there were bad popes? Did these ever teach things that were later considered to be “wrong”. How were they bad popes etc?

Yes but there are also different kinds of teaching. Not every teaching is “infallible”. Not that one ought not follow the others in the various ways one is to do so. One is.

The obedience of Faith…is not blind faith…we follow the Logos.

We know in whom we believe…we know it is his Church…

In what is infallible yes it is a “negative” protection. It is not possible to infallibly teach what is error.

Peters personal actions are not his teaching something something infallibly.

Yes there have been some Popes (among many many Saints and martyrs) who did not live as they ought -but no they did not even try to teach something infallibly.

Let me add one of my favorite homilies of Pope Benedict XVI -we all need more and more a “renewal of the mind” as we follow the* Logos * --to be a new creation.

Such is always fitting when we ask the question --what does the Church Teach? What does the world wish us to follow and what does Christ?

keep reading after the first paragraph:

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/homilies/2009/documents/hf_ben-xvi_hom_20090628_chius-anno-paolino_en.html

Thanks. How do you know which teachings are fallible and which are not?

One has to look at each one in terms of what is infallible or not.

catholic.com/quickquestions/which-church-teachings-have-been-declared-infallible

catholic.com/radio/shows/the-gift-of-infallibility-4406

But note - the Teachings that are not infallible are still in various ways the Teachings of the Church. It is not that we just follow the infallible ones…

catholic.com/quickquestions/which-church-teachings-have-been-declared-infallible

But note - the Teachings that are not infallible are still in various ways the Teachings of the Church. It is not that we just follow the infallible ones…

Let me add one of my favorite homilies of Pope Benedict XVI -we all need more and more a “renewal of the mind” as we follow the* Logos * --to be a new creation.

Such is always fitting when we ask the question --what does the Church Teach? What does the world wish us to follow and what does Christ?

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/homilies/2009/documents/hf_ben-xvi_hom_20090628_chius-anno-paolino_en.html

Let me add one of my favorite homilies of Pope Benedict XVI -we all need more and more a “renewal of the mind” as we follow the* Logos * --to be a* new creation*.

Correct. The Church teaches infallibly when teaching on faith and morals. That does not mean everything is a doctrine, nor does it mean everything that the bishops or the pope teach is an exercises of infallibility. There are many aspects of the Faith that the Church has not defined dogmatically.

No, “blind faith” is not a Catholic teaching. There is no conflict with faith and reason.

That said, we are called to obedience, also called assent, to the teachings of the Church whether we understand or agree with them or not. See paragraph 892 in the link below for more on that.

Cannot error.

See the following for a good overview of the Church and infallibility.

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P2A.HTM

Not for doctrine. He was rebuked by another for his behavior.

“Bad popes” are mostly a matter of opinion, and also a lack of understanding of the politics and dangers of their times. There is no list of “bad popes”. And having personal failures is not the same as teaching doctrinal error. If we expect a pope to exist who does not have personal failures, or with whom people do not find a bone to pick, we are expecting the impossible-- even the holiest of us still sin, fail, make bad decisions, etc.

No, no pope has ever taught error.

Catechism:

scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a9p4.htm#I

Anytime the Pope speaks to the whole Church on matters of Faith, (what we believe) and Morals, (How we live that belief) it is Infallible. The Teaching Magisterium of the Church is Infallible, the Bishops in union with the Pope are Infallible in their teachings. . When the Pope canonizes a Saint, it is Infallible. All human being are capable of sinning, even a Pope. Infallibility does not cover the personal life of the Pope, or everything that he says. But even the very few “Bad Popes” we have had never did any harm to the Teaching Authority of the Church. Remember one of the 12 Apostles was a traitor. And they were hand picked by Jesus Himself. Christ promised that the Holy Spirit would guide HIS Church and that the Gates of Hell would NEVER prevail against it. So we trust Christ. The 2,000 year History of the Catholic Church’s teachings have never changed and never will. What was a sin then is still a sin today. We still have all Seven Sacraments, Apostolic Succession, Holy Sacrafice of the Mass and Saints. Read the Acts of the Apostles. God BLess. Memaw

Thanks for replies and links!

What about something like the women wearing veils? I’ve heard although don’t know that it used to be a sin for women to not wear veils and now it’s optional?

Such is a matter of discipline. Disciplines can change. Culture can often play a role in such.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.