Questions on liturgical abuses

Are the following actions allowed?

Changing the word “Gospel” to “good news” before the reading of the Gospel.

Giving the Communion Chalice to the extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion to pass to one another. (Does Redemtionis Sacramentum #94 refer to this?)

The extraordinary miinsters of Holy Communion wearing their regular clothing. (Would GIRM #339 allow this under “dignified clothing”?)

If these are not allowed can you show me where it says this is forbidden? Also, does anyone know if it written anywhere that home baked bread may not be used for Consecration if there is a danger of fragments falling to the ground?

1. Changing Gospel to “good news” is illicit.
  2. Having the extraordinary ministers pass the chalice themselves instead of individually receiving from the priest is also illicit and increases the risk of spilling the sacred species.
  3. Wearing street clothes instead of dress clothes is disrespectful, but i think it may be allowable in cases where the EM cannot afford dress clothes. However, I doubt this is the case. At daily mass, less formal clothes are generally worn, but they should still be a bit dressy to show respect for Christ.
  4. In the Latin Church, we use unleavened bread. Home baked unleavened bread may be acceptable, but home baked leavened bread would most likely have extra ingredients added to it, which would make it invalid matter. In other words, leavened home baked bread with ingredients besides wheat and water does not become the body and blood of Christ. I wouldn’t worry so much about crumbs being spilled as the fact that everyone thinks they are partaking in a sacrament that doesn’t happen. If it is simple wheat and water, then you have to worry about disrespecting Christ by stringing his presence all over the floor with crumbs.

The GIRM lists many guidelines, but just because it doesn’t explicitly ban something does NOT mean it is allowable. There is nothing saying the priest can’t wear women’s clothing, but this would be completely inappropriate. :frowning:
Sorry i could not tell you more specifics regarding referencing the GIRM or Redemptionis Sacramentum.

Sorry and hope not to thread jack, but I just wanted to ask a little more of a specificness to your #2 and daflax’s response.

If an EMoHC first recieves the Chalice from the Priest himself, would he be permitted then to offer the Chalice to the other EMoHC’s after the Priest offers them the Host?

At daily mass, less formal clothes are generally worn, but they should still be a bit dressy to show respect for Christ.

Shouldn’t the extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion wear some vestment over their clothes?

Home baked unleavened bread may be acceptable, but home baked leavened bread would most likely have extra ingredients added to it, which would make it invalid matter.

[quote]

I emailed the priest and was told the recipe was valid.

[quote]If it is simple wheat and water, then you have to worry about disrespecting Christ by stringing his presence all over the floor with crumbs.

[/quote]

I suggested that he use a Communion paten when using the home baked bread.

The GIRM lists many guidelines, but just because it doesn’t explicitly ban something does NOT mean it is allowable.

Does anyone know if something universal is listed in the GIRM (or other document) saying basically “We can’t address all possible forms of liturgical abuse however the priest cannont of his own initiative change…”? For example something like #1125 of the Catechism: scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s1c1a2.htm#III

Speaking of #1125 is that what I should reference to address the problem of changing the formula of absolution?
[/quote]

[quote=dafalax]1. Changing Gospel to “good news” is illicit.
[/quote]

Yes, this is illicit.

1. Having the extraordinary ministers pass the chalice themselves instead of individually receiving from the priest is also illicit and increases the risk of spilling the sacred species.

As long as a priest or deacon has given the first minister the chalice this is permitted. After all, it’s what the minister does with those who come to him or her for communion.

1. Wearing street clothes instead of dress clothes is disrespectful, but i think it may be allowable in cases where the EM cannot afford dress clothes. However, I doubt this is the case. At daily mass, less formal clothes are generally worn, but they should still be a bit dressy to show respect for Christ.

Depends on what is meant by “street clothes.” They should be suitable for going to Church. That is, jeans, t-shirts, etc. would not be considered appropriate. There is no requirement for any particular vestment, although the alb is always appropriate since it represents the baptismal gown.

Deacon Ed

Originally Posted by dafalax
1. Changing Gospel to “good news” is illicit.
Yes, this is illicit.

Any suggestions on how to bring this up charitably? If the priests says it’s no big deal since “Gospel” is translated “good news” then what should I say?

As long as a priest or deacon has given the first minister the chalice this is permitted. After all, it’s what the minister does with those who come to him or her for communion.

The priest at another parish on Sunday gives it to the Extraordinary Ministers and then takes it back before giving it to the next. This seems more reverant to me than simply passing the chalice to each other but if it’s licit should I just file it under personal preference and let it go?

Depends on what is meant by “street clothes.” They should be suitable for going to Church. That is, jeans, t-shirts, etc. would not be considered appropriate. There is no requirement for any particular vestment, although the alb is always appropriate since it represents the baptismal gown.

Assuming they are dressed respectfully should I just also file this under personal preference?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.