Questions on Mixing Evening Prayer and Mass

I went to daily Mass one time (I won't mention where), and I noticed that there was one priest who did evening prayer in addition to the Mass. Now, while that all seems fine and good, I actually had a few questions from what I saw there:

1.) The priest did the sign of the cross when Mass began (as usual). However, he then told us to sit down, and we sang from the beginning of evening prayer to the canticle before the place where one would usually say the LOTH reading of the day.

Apparently, when he did this, he did it so that it superseded the Kyrie and the Opening Prayer and went straight to the Daily Mass readings (at least, in this one instance anyway). Is that allowed in the Roman Rite rubric, especially for friars?

2.) He then did the Magnificat (which would normally be right before the end of the LOTH if it was done outside of Mass) after Communion but before the Dismissal. Is this also valid?

If there are any consecrated religious out there (friars and monks especially) who can help answer this, that would be great. Thanks! :)

I know there is options for combining the LOTH and Mass. He may have used one of the valid options.

[quote="ParvaDei, post:1, topic:298562"]
I went to daily Mass one time (I won't mention where), and I noticed that there was one priest who did evening prayer in addition to the Mass. Now, while that all seems fine and good, I actually had a few questions from what I saw there:

1.) The priest did the sign of the cross when Mass began (as usual). However, he then told us to sit down, and we sang from the beginning of evening prayer to the canticle before the place where one would usually say the LOTH reading of the day.

Apparently, when he did this, he did it so that it superseded the Kyrie and the Opening Prayer and went straight to the Daily Mass readings (at least, in this one instance anyway). Is that allowed in the Roman Rite rubric, especially for friars?

[/quote]

Looks correct.

"94. When morning prayer, celebrated in choir or in common, comes immediately before Mass, the whole celebration may begin either with the introductory verse and hymn of morning prayer, especially on weekdays, or with the entrance song, procession, and celebrant's greeting, especially on Sundays and holydays; one of the introductory rites is thus omitted.

The psalmody of morning prayer follows as usual, up to, but excluding, the reading. After the psalmody the penitential rite is omitted and, as circumstances suggest, the Kyrie; the Gloria then follows, if required by the rubrics, and the celebrant says the opening prayer of the Mass. The liturgy of the word follows as usual."

2.) He then did the Magnificat (which would normally be right before the end of the LOTH if it was done outside of Mass) after Communion but before the Dismissal. Is this also valid?

Looks correct too.

"After the communion with its communion song the Canticle of Zechariah, Blessed be the Lord, with its antiphon from morning prayer, is sung. Then follow the prayer after communion and the rest as usual."

And finally,

"96. Evening prayer, celebrated immediately before Mass, is joined to it in the same way as morning prayer. "

Thanks guys!

So, what I’m seeing is, except for the fact that he didn’t say the opening prayer (which he might have forgotten – since I’m no friar and I can’t read his elderly mind [trying to give him the benefit of the doubt since I just moved to that place a few weeks ago] :shrug:), it’s okay.

Got it – thanks! (It’s just that I’ve never seen Mass and LOTH combined until a couple of days ago, so I plead ignorance! :D)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.