Questions on Sacrament of Penance

1. Should I do an examination of conscience, every night? Can anyone link me to a simple EOC?

2. Is it necessary to tell the priest how many times in the past 2 mos. (since my last confession) I have comitted this sin. I don’t do an EOC every night but by the time I get to confession I know I have (eg: gossiped) many times.

Thank you

1. Doing an Examination of Conscience every night is not strictly obligatory. It is a worthwhile spiritual exercise, though. For an EOC, you cannot go wrong with using the Ten Commandments. Most EOCs are based off of them. Here is a link to one on EWTN’s website:

ewtn.com/library/spirit/examcons.txt

1. We are obliged to confess number and kind of any mortal sins we commit. Of course, God does not expect everyone to have photographic memories by which to confess in precise and exact detail. If it’s been two months and you gossip alot, just say that you gossipped about 3-5 times a week for the past two months (or whatever you feel gives the best approximation). When in doubt, ask the priest and he will guide you through it. That’s what he’s there for. :slight_smile:

The purpose of confessing number and kind is not because God wants us to be scrupulous or keep a logbook of sins. But it makes a difference whether we say we gossipped one time in two months or 10 times a day for the past two months. It lets the priest know where we are at and it also helps us to take stock of where we are at. But God is not going to condemn you if you say you gossipped 587 times when it was actually 588 times.

To clarify a bit (we are all in this together as they say) It is important to note that there is more to the confession of number and kind of mortal sin than it letting the Priest know where one is at -though such is part of it. That we are to accuse of ourselves of our mortal sins in number and kind is part of the nature of the Sacrament. One is to give the actual number – unless of course one does not know it form ones examine --then one may approximate according to what one knows. But one ought not approximate unless there is reason to.

(I will note too that some readers for example too who are scrupulous may be given particular directions by their regular confessor due to their scruples–they may be in a different boat).

[quote="Bookcat, post:3, topic:342405"]
To clarify a bit (we are all in this together as they say) It is important to note that there is more to the confession of number and kind of mortal sin than it letting the Priest know where one is at -though such is part of it. That we are to accuse of ourselves of our mortal sins in number and kind is part of the nature of the Sacrament. One is to give the actual number -- unless of course one does not know it form ones examine --then one may approximate according to what one knows. But one ought not approximate unless there is reason to.

(I will note too that some readers for example too who are scrupulous may be given particular directions by their regular confessor due to their scruples--they may be in a different boat).

[/quote]

Thank you for your clarification. :) I agree.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.