Questions on Satan and Hell

I have a series of questions and hope that they are answered.

1. Where exactly are all the Fallen angels and Satan presently? I assumed they were in Hell but then how could there be people who experience demonic possession in the Bible and those who recieve exorcisms.

2. What kind of victory does God recieve toward the end of time? I mean if a inferior being created by God was capable of sending a vast majority of humans to Hell to suffer eternal torment; really it just makes Job’s suffering seem like a fluke. That for every person who suffers and still follows the Lord their are ten sinners who damn themselves to Hell and curse God for their suffering.

3. What is Hell to be then for Satan and the other demons? Is it their stronghold where there allowed to rule without God or is it a prison for all beings sent down there.

4. Why does it state in revelations that after a thousand years of this New Jeruselem, Satan will be allowed to roam free and take even more souls before being banished again permenently; I mean after Armegeddon why torture your creation more by allowing the greatest deciever to influence you after 1000 years of having your guard down against sin! (If I am miss informed of this piece please inform me on the truth)

Many of your questions are answered in this book: :stuck_out_tongue:

Mystical City of God themostholyrosary.com/mystical-city.htm
In Defense of The City of God Mystica Civitate Dei: dailycatholic.org/issue/05Jun/jun10tim.htm - to summarize the research of three priests on the official decision of the Holy Roman Catholic Church regarding The Mystical City of God by Venerable Mary of Jesus of Agreda and to ascertain thereby whether it is permitted for anyone of any authority whatsoever to forbid the reading of this extraordinary book.

1. The devils are in hell, for they by their action of disobedience to God rejected the Lord, whereby they eternally separated themselves from God (hell is eternal loss of God)

2. God’s victory is already accomplished, by the death of Jesus Christ: the victory over sin and death. We only await the time when God’s victory will be fully manifested, which will ultimately be at the Last Judgement, when the dead are raised - no longer to die anymore - and creation is consummated, freed from the bondage of moral, physical, and metaphyiscal evil (sin, suffering and death, and the demons). Those who, like the devils, freely rejected God and His Mercy will go to hell with their new bodies, while those who, like the angels, freely loved God and trusted in His Mercy will live and reign with the Lord with their new bodies.

3. Hell is the punishment of Satan and of the creatures who follow him (the devils and the damned); it’s chief punishment is the torment of the loss of God, and there are individual torments for every creature depending on their sins, again as punishment.

4. The Book of Revelation is symbolic. The 1000 years signifies the Age of the Church. Before the second coming of Christ, the demon will be unleashed - just as he was before the first coming of Christ - to bring one final battle against Christ and His Church, but the Lord will defeat the antichrist (the man who will do Satan’s will) by His Breath when He comes again. The reason the Lord allows His Church to suffer like this is because the Bride must resemble the Bridegroom - the Church must follow Jesus to the Cross.

Read the catechism

vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm

This should help you answer your questions.

Novena for the Enemies of the Catholic Church:
forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=4847580&postcount=1

I first read this in St. Maria Faustina’s Diary. * Why is this so? * :o :confused: :shrug:

I also read the idea that Christ could have saved the entire world by working miracles, etc., without suffering. But he chose to do this with the Cross. * Why? *
(I think this idea was from St. Louis Marie Grignon de Montfort’s The Love of Eternal Wisdom)
ewtn.com/library/Montfort/lew.htm

Because just as Jesus as Man suffered, so too must the Body of Christ, that is, the Church, suffer. The Church lives the life of Christ.

But * why? * - if I were a mother or father or spouse, I would seek to shield my children or spouse from suffering out of love.

God could have saved the world simply by a word, just as He could have created a world without evil. But He chose to die to show His love and mercy for men, just as He chose to create such a world as we live in to show His love and mercy for men. All the works of God are crowned with His Mercy.

You think like a man, not like God. Meditate on the Passion of Jesus Christ and you will learn what you seek to know.

Why didn’t God create a world without evil? How does creating a world with evil show God’s love and mercy for men? :o :confused: :shrug:

The fallen angels were thrown to the earth. There are passages that say this in Scripture. Satan is said to roam around seeking whom he may devour (on the earth). Again, this is shown in Scripture (specifically 1 Peter 5:8). There is also mention of some of the fallen angels who are being kept in Tartarus (a compartment of what we say is ‘hell’). That is found in 2 Peter 2:4. The apocryphal work, Book of Enoch, describes those fallen ones in Tartarus as those who cohabited with women (referred to as the sons of God). They were supposedly sent there and imprisoned so that they no longer would do such a things.

1. What kind of victory does God recieve toward the end of time? I mean if a inferior being created by God was capable of sending a vast majority of humans to Hell to suffer eternal torment; really it just makes Job’s suffering seem like a fluke. That for every person who suffers and still follows the Lord their are ten sinners who damn themselves to Hell and curse God for their suffering.

The inferior being, Satan, does not send anyone to hell. He simply welcomes those who are faithful to him. There will always be those who choose Satan rather than turning to Christ. It’s their choice. God already has the victory. His ultimate will and power cannot be overcome by any other being.

1. What is Hell to be then for Satan and the other demons? Is it their stronghold where there allowed to rule without God or is it a prison for all beings sent down there.

If you read towards the end of the Book of Revelation you get a picture of what happens to them. For now, it is the seat of their throne. Just as Heaven is where God’s throne is. They are allowed, by God’s providence, to roam the earth and tempt mankind. Well, it certainly would be a prison because you can’t get out of it.

1. Why does it state in revelations that after a thousand years of this New Jeruselem, Satan will be allowed to roam free and take even more souls before being banished again permenently; I mean after Armegeddon why torture your creation more by allowing the greatest deciever to influence you after 1000 years of having your guard down against sin! (If I am miss informed of this piece please inform me on the truth)

You would have to ask God why He designed it this way, i.e. the thousand year reign. Just remember that God knows all. He can make a better decision than we can. And we know His judgments are righteous. Some things are just better left alone.

Peace…

MW

If it wasn’t for pain, you wouldn’t know what pleasure is. There would be nothing to compare it to. If it wasn’t for evil, you wouldn’t be able to appreciate good. It wasn’t till I really knew what true evil was that I ran to God to rest under His mighty wings.

Mercy would have no significance, nor any meaning, if it wasn’t for hardship, trials and tribulations. Mercy would not really exist, neither would grace. And because of our hardships, our pain and our sin, God is able to bestow enormous grace upon us and welcome us into His Kingdom.

Peace…

MW

I don’t believe this is true. I have known pleasure before knowing pain. It might be more easy to appreciate pleasure after pain but one can know pleasure without pain. In fact, I think the original intention for this world in the Garden of Eden was pleasure without pain.

There would be nothing to compare it to. If it wasn’t for evil, you wouldn’t be able to appreciate good. It wasn’t till I really knew what true evil was that I ran to God to rest under His mighty wings.

I also do not think this is true. Even if it were true, what about all the people who are punished with eternal suffering in Hell. Whether or not they truly appreciate good seems irrelevant. I also think that too much experience of evil can deaden someone and destroy hope so that one is unable to appreciate good.

Mercy would have no significance, nor any meaning, if it wasn’t for hardship, trials and tribulations. Mercy would not really exist, neither would grace. And because of our hardships, our pain and our sin, God is able to bestow enormous grace upon us and welcome us into His Kingdom.

Peace…

MW

Is this important though? Why should we care if we truly know the significance and meaning of mercy? Is it so that we can truly appreciate God and know the depths of his live? :o :confused: :shrug:

Did you know it as pleasure, though? If I were to give you an orange, yet you didn’t know what an orange was, then even though you experience holding it in your hand, you have no knowledge of what an orange is. Someone would have to tell you what it was. No matter what happened before or after the fall, the fact remains that we have what we have - knowledge of good and evil.

I also do not think this is true. Even if it were true, what about all the people who are punished with eternal suffering in Hell. Whether or not they truly appreciate good seems irrelevant. I also think that too much experience of evil can deaden someone and destroy hope so that one is unable to appreciate good.

That’s fine. These are just my opinions based on my knowledge and experience. Ah, but if they truly appreciated good, they would have chosen it instead of choosing evil. You need to know before you can choose. That’s why it’s great to have the knowledge of good and evil. We know what they are (most of us) and can freely choose. I believe it’s completely relevant. Sure, evil can deaden someone. It compounds over time. No, there’s always hope.

Is this important though? Why should we care if we truly know the significance and meaning of mercy? Is it so that we can truly appreciate God and know the depths of his live? :o :confused: :shrug:

Well, yes, it is important. It is through the knowledge of mercy and sin that we are able to freely choose our destination. Without that knowledge we are merely animals. I’m reminded of the story of a little girl who had no sensitivity to pain at all. She had some medical condition that kept her from feeling external pain.

Some people think that may be great. You could cut your arm off and not feel any pain. The problem is that if you don’t realize you are bleeding or have been shot you would certainly die. Her parents have to constantly check her body for cuts and problems because the girl wouldn’t know unless she physically saw something was wrong.

Peace…

MW

Sure, I don’t have to starve to experience a feeling of satiation when I eat. Starving may help me more greatly appreciate food, but it is not necessary to starve in order to enjoy food.

No, there’s always hope.

The sin of despair is lack of hope. I still don’t understand how knowledge of good and evil is good for the people suffering in Hell. Maybe you or someone else might help me to understand. :o :confused: :shrug:

Without that knowledge, we are merely animals.

Trying not to be rude, stupid, or inconsiderate, but what’s wrong with being an animal?

I’ve run out of analogies, so I guess we’ll have to leave it at that :slight_smile:

The sin of despair is lack of hope. I still don’t understand how knowledge of good and evil is good for the people suffering in Hell. Maybe you or someone else might help me to understand. :o :confused: :shrug:

Even in the darkest of hours there is objective hope. You may not feel it or know it, but it is there.

Trying not to be rude, stupid, or inconsiderate, but what’s wrong with being an animal?

Animals cannot intimately know God. They cannot reason as we do. They only know instinct. They can be intelligent and understand things but never like a human can. I, for one, do not wish to be an animal. Do you see any good reason to be an animal as opposed to a human?

Peace…

MW

No possibility of suffering Hell. :o :confused: :shrug:

But if you follow God’s ways you don’t have to suffer in hell. If you can’t see the goodness in being able to know God then I can’t help you I suppose. I count being able to know Him intimately as the greatest thing on earth.

Peace…

MW

I seemed to miss this post earlier.

Hebrews 9:22 says, “Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins”.

Here is a commentary on this:

rc.net/wcc/readings/heb9.htm

Without Jesus, our Lord, shedding His blood, we would have no hope of eternal life, no forgiveness of sin. This was pre-figured in the Old Testament.

Peace…

MW

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.