Questions regarding Adam & Eve

These questions were asked by my friend’s son (about 14 years old, so I hope to get explanation that 14 yo could understand).

1. Did God only created Adam and Eve? And thereafter, all their descendants were reproduced by them?? Then, why are there so many races and languages…don’t they supposed to be from the same parents??

2. If Adam & Eve represented mankind, does it mean that everyone/all men ate the forbidden apple and not Adam & Eve alone??

3. If God knows that they WILL choose to eat the apple, why did He put the apple there to tempt them and make them sin?? Then He won’t even need to send Jesus to save us at all…

Qn 1, is there any relation with Bable Tower? I need to brush up my knowledge on Genesis. :o

Qn 2, I don’t really understand the question, but I think it’s wrong to say that Adam and Eve represented mankind. To my understanding, they were more of the Parents (?) of humankind. Thus, we inherit the effect of the original sin, although we never ate the forbidden fruit.

I’ve been thinking about question 3 for a few months now. Scripturally, the tree was there because the author wanted to introduce sin in the book of Genesis. But, no one seems to know why God created the tree (except God himself! :D). Is it to test Adam’s and Eve’s obedience? hm…

1. Did God only created Adam and Eve? And thereafter, all their descendants were reproduced by them?? Then, why are there so many races and languages…don’t they supposed to be from the same parents??

Adam and Eve were the first Human Beings (homo sapiens sapiens)…
For the sake of religious arguments, humans have SOULS… so whether or not human beings evolved from previous creatures isn’t relevant… God gave Adam and Eve the first souls and from them all humans have descended.
Science does confirm this…
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-chromosomal_Adam

This is completely exclusive of the study of human migration and racial evolution.
There are plenty of studies about this… including the “out of Africa” theories which are totally in line with Adam and Eve starting the human race.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recent_African_Origin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_migration

1. If Adam & Eve represented mankind, does it mean that everyone/all men ate the forbidden apple and not Adam & Eve alone??

Adam and Eve alone brought Original Sin into the world.
We inherit this… similar to passing on our genetics to our children… this original sin is passed on.

1. If God knows that they WILL choose to eat the apple, why did He put the apple there to tempt them and make them sin?? Then He won’t even need to send Jesus to save us at all…

Good question… probably for the “Ask an apologist” board… :wink:

If God made both Adam and Eve since he felt the “man” needed a companion as to not be alone the “woman” then why is it that priest are not allowed to get married?

Priestly celibacy is a discipline of the Church.

Celibacy Is a Gift

yes it’s a disciple of the church, but is it a necessity. Does it make a priest a better priest when he is celibant, or does it just add to his restrictions and temptation? why cannot things change for the church. Maybe this would be an improvement and cause for the decreasing number of priests to increase. I believe changing this rule would bring more members if not even younger members into the church. Why not call for a new Vatican Council to improve the slowly “dying” church?

I believe that a recent survey of priests showed that a clear majority of priests want to retain celibacy.

The Church is not dying because of celibacy.

My priest is married and he is a staunch advocate for the need of a celibate priesthood.

I recall the Exultate that is sung during the opening of the Easter Vigil Service that answers this question.

Oh, happy fault of Adam, that gave to us so great a Redeemer”.

The Church is not dying. Period.

I believe in the promises of Jesus. :wink:

i dont believe the church is actually “dying” it is an institute that will live on forever;however, there has been a decrease in attendance and involvment especially from youth and i think that priest being celibant can be a large part of this perhaps.

That could be true, but you don’t change the rules simply because of the masses. That’s what caused other churches to water down their teachings on sexual immorality.

1. If God knows that they WILL choose to eat the apple, why did He put the apple there to tempt them and make them sin?? Then He won’t even need to send Jesus to save us at all…

Perhaps God did not know that they would choose to eat the apple. Perhaps our free will is truly free to choose a path that is unknown until it is chosen. God may know where every path leads, but perhaps, out of love, he made us in His image in that we create eternal realities through our choices.
Then again, perhaps he did know and He chose to allow us to fall so that through His passion, death and resurrection we would know his unsurpassed Mercy and love for us. For He “so loved the world” that He sent his only Son to save us.(Todays Gospel reading from John 3:16)

You mean, “you don’t appreciate what you’ve got til it’s gone”? :wink:

So many replies but I’ve yet to get answer to the questions. :slight_smile:

I thought you’ve got answers to all the questions posed.

Just wondering is this an accepted Catholic view of free will?

What about those who don’t? Have those that do and have those that want to be married?

Genesis is a symbolic story. Adam and Eve didn’t eat an apple or fruit or what have you. The Genesis chapter is trying to convey that our first parents were disobedient to God in some way. What was their disobedience or sin is only known to God and Adam and Eve but it did sever us from God. Genesis’ writing was written to a people which they could relate and it was easily understood.

So the Catechism was wrong as well as the pronouncements of Popes and constant Catholic teaching?

See here"

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=3509147&postcount=67

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=3509107&postcount=65

Let me clarify my position, yes Adam and Eve are our first human parents with human souls. We are from them. The sin itself they commited against God is not known. The writer’s symbolised this sin with fruit, something all can relate to. Maybe not today since there is so much junk food out there but, it the past. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.