Questions regarding election of new Pope

Since Pope Benedict is stepping down but will presumably still be a Cardinal will he be participating in conclave to elect his successor?

Will the conclave start before Feb 28th, when he steps down?

If not then will the Church be “legally” in the same situation as when a Pope dies, even though he still lives, until a new Pope is chosen?

[quote="Cider, post:1, topic:314505"]
Since Pope Benedict is stepping down but will presumably still be a Cardinal will he be participating in conclave to elect his successor?

Will the conclave start before Feb 28th, when he steps down?

If not then will the Church be "legally" in the same situation as when a Pope dies, even though he still lives, until a new Pope is chosen?

[/quote]

No, to my knowledge, Cardinals above the age of 80 are not voting members of the college of Cardinals.

I don’t know all the rules, but Cardinals over the age of 80 aren’t eligible to vote for the next Pope. So based on that alone, he wouldn’t be eligible.

Oh I forgot about how old he is.

Popes are not Cardinals, and, in fact, bestow their red cap upon a new member when they are elected. Since the Pope is over the age of 80 anyway, its largely moot.

As for when it would start - traditionally there is a waiting period, due to the need for Cardinals to travel, prepare, etc...but this has applied to the death of a Pope, which is generally something of a surprise.

Personally, I could see a final mass by Pope Benedict, perhaps including something like an address and laying his Miter on the altar of St. Peter's, followed the next morning by the opening of the conclave.

We're really in uncharted water though.

[quote="Nechasin, post:3, topic:314505"]
I don't know all the rules, but Cardinals over the age of 80 aren't eligible to vote for the next Pope. So based on that alone, he wouldn't be eligible.

[/quote]

True, but the Pope, while he's still alive and serving, can still change the rules of electing the next Pope. We'll presume for the time being that the age-80 limit remains.

[quote="Cider, post:4, topic:314505"]
Oh I forgot about how old he is.

[/quote]

He is 85, so no he would not be voting.

news.va/en/news/benedict-xvi-resignation-details-of-press-briefing

Pope Benedict XVI will not take part in the Conclave for the election of his successor.Pope Benedict XVI will move to the Papal residence in Castel Gandolfo when his resignation shall become effective.

Yes, we are in unchartered waters, so I think we’re going to have to be patient about the details of th e logistics.

Normally, there is 9 days of mourning with the conclave starting 15-20 after the previous pope’s death. With Benedict still being alive, that could change the timeline. We’ll see.

[quote="mburn16, post:5, topic:314505"]
Popes are not Cardinals, and, in fact, bestow their red cap upon a new member when they are elected. Since the Pope is over the age of 80 anyway, its largely moot.

As for when it would start - traditionally there is a waiting period, due to the need for Cardinals to travel, prepare, etc...but this has applied to the death of a Pope, which is generally something of a surprise.

Personally, I could see a final mass by Pope Benedict, perhaps including something like an address and laying his Miter on the altar of St. Peter's, followed the next morning by the opening of the conclave.

We're really in uncharted water though.

[/quote]

Oh, man, I want to cry now, both from sadness and joy. Even though it is bittersweet, I can't help but think how awesome it is to be alive at this time in the history of the Church, to be able to witness such an historic event.

-Tim-

"Normally, there is 9 days of mourning with the conclave starting 15-20 after the previous pope’s death. With Benedict still being alive, that could change the timeline. We’ll see. "

Indeed. Obviously, no need for mourning…and that 15-20 day timeline happens to coincide nicely with the length of time left in his Papacy.

Since his Papacy is set to end at 8:00 PM Vatican time, It seems most appropriate that he will end with one final mass…and then the conclave can begin the next morning.

[quote="mburn16, post:11, topic:314505"]
"Normally, there is 9 days of mourning with the conclave starting 15-20 after the previous pope's death. With Benedict still being alive, that could change the timeline. We'll see. "

Indeed. Obviously, no need for mourning...and that 15-20 day timeline happens to coincide nicely with the length of time left in his Papacy.

Since his Papacy is set to end at 8:00 PM Vatican time, It seems most appropriate that he will end with one final mass...and then the conclave can begin the next morning.

[/quote]

Really, the logistics and timing of the conclave are not Benedict's to figure out. It's not his problem. :) That's all on the College of Cardinals who are probably reeling from this news as much as the rest of us.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did it that way. We'll probably find out for sure sometime in the next few days.

What they say about "great minds" must be true, Tim!! :D
I feel exactly the same way!!

[quote="TimothyH, post:10, topic:314505"]
Oh, man, I want to cry now, both from sadness and joy. Even though it is bittersweet, I can't help but think how awesome it is to be alive at this time in the history of the Church, to be able to witness such an historic event.

-Tim-

[/quote]

From what I understand, Benedict will be Pope Emeritus without any ecclesiastical duties. He will also set aside his calling as Bishop of Rome. From what I understand, he will remain in the Vatican but in a monastery-type setting.

There are internal mechanism for the continued operation of Vatican and church matters during the time a Pope dies or steps down and the election of another.

Here's a link to the list of Elector Cardinals who will come to the conclave. Perhaps with modern transportation and the advance warning, it will not take all that long until they meet.

:)

[quote="lvcabbie, post:14, topic:314505"]
From what I understand, Benedict will be Pope Emeritus without any ecclesiastical duties. . From what I understand, he will remain in the Vatican but in a monastery-type setting.

:)

[/quote]

Where did you get that information from ?

visnews-en.blogspot.com/2013/02/director-of-holy-see-press-office-on.html

A key paragraph regarding questions asked above (emphasis added):

The Director of the Holy See's Press Office explained that the Holy Father "will move to Castel Gandolfo on 28 February, and, once he has finished the tasks he has in progress, he will take up residence in the former cloistered monastery in the Vatican. The process for the election of a new Pope will begin on1 March. We do not yet know the exact date of the conclave, but obviously there will be no need to wait the normal eight days of mourning (novendali) after the death of the Pope. Thus, in two weeks, during the month of March, in time for Easter, we will have a new Pope ... Benedict XVI will have no role in next March's conclave, nor in the running of the Church during the time between popes, the time of Sede Vacante. The Apostolic Constitution gives no role in this transition to a pope who resigns.

The sentence in bold is important.

I'm not a canonist, but as I understand things, His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI will not be "Pope Emeritus," but will simply be Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger. The term "Pope" refers to an office, and will not apply in any sense once he cedes the throne. A retired bishop is called "emeritus" because he is still a bishop, and holds that office. Thus, when Pope Benedict XVI cedes the office, he will no longer be the pope, so emeritus will not apply. I think the honorific "His Holiness" will still apply, since it is an honorific rather than an office, and in the Eastern Rites, it is still used of patriarchs after retirement.

But that's what I think, and I could be wrong. If I find out otherwise, I'll say so.

The press is likely to use "Pope emeritus" anyways.

Last I knew, Cardinal Bertone was the Camerlengo. As such, he will assume all the administrative duties of the Vatican until such a time a new pope takes office. Cardianal Sodano is the Dean of the College of Cardinals (agains, last I knew) and he will set the date of the next conclave.

I am welcome to any correction on names, but those are the roles of these two positions.

The pope will just be a cardinal. He can go to the conclave but he cannot vote. That’s what I know. Correct me if I’m wrong.The conclave will be held on March AFTER the pope resigns. :sad_bye:God bless you Holy Father. We love you.

Cross-posting ftw!

Well, one more question answered: Pope Benedict will retain the honorific "Your Holiness/His Holiness," but will be referred to as "Bishop Emeritus of Rome." That makes sense: he will not be a "retired" pope, since only one person can hold the office of pope, and it's not possible to 'retire' from the papacy, only to vacate it.

Original source material.

Huh. Now it's "Pope Emeritus." Well, I guess that what we get with uncharted territory...

whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/2013/02/his-holiness-pope-emeritus.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.