Questions that I would not be able to answer

1 In regards to the Blessed Sacrament, why do we believe that the* living * Jesus is present in the species? IOW, why is not only the slain body of Christ that died on Calvary present in the Eucharist, but the soul and divinity of Jesus?

2 When we pray the Our Father, is it to God the Father or to the whole Trinity? If you could give me a Church teaching about this, that would be good. (Please do not say that when we pray to one of the divine Persons, we are praying to all of them. I feel that is the easy way to answer the question.)

3 When was the Sacrament of Confirmation first instituted?

4 When Jesus told St Peter that the gates of Hell would not prevail against the Church why do we assume that all the teachings of the Church are infallible. This is what the DR bible says about this:

18 “The gates of hell”… That is, the powers of darkness, and whatever Satan can do, either by himself, or his agents. For as the church is here likened to a house, or fortress, built on a rock; so the adverse powers are likened to a contrary house or fortress, the gates of which, that is, the whole strength, and all the efforts it can make, will never be able to prevail over the city or church of Christ. By this promise we are fully assured, that neither idolatry, heresy, nor any pernicious error whatsoever shall at any time prevail over the church of Christ. www.drbo.org

When Jesus said that the gates of Hell will not prevail… what is the reasoning that this means that “by this promise we are fully assured, that neither idolatry, heresy, nor any pernicious error whatsoever shall at any time prevail over the church of Christ”?

Why couldnt someone justly say that this is reading too much into the text? Surely why the Church is infallible in its teachings is explained elsewhere.

1. the Blessed Sacrament is the whole and complete Christ, not just His crucified body.

2. I’ll let someone else give a complicated answer.

3. In the book of Acts.

4. Because we don’t base the Doctrine on just this one passage of Scripture.

Youve basically just said:
1 yes it is
2 yes it is
4 yes it is :slight_smile:

3 Which part of Acts. This does ring a bell

Note: Each question actually needs its own thread for proper responses as per the Forum Rules.

Please repost them accordingly.

This thread is now closed.
MF

1 In regards to the Blessed Sacrament, why do we believe that the* living *Jesus is present in the species? IOW, why is not only the slain body of Christ that died on Calvary present in the Eucharist, but the soul and divinity of Jesus?

Because we as Catholics believe that Christ rose from the dead. which means that His Divinity and humanity (body, blood and soul) have been re-united. He has risen and is alive! When Christ says through the priest at Mass “This is My Body, This is My Blood” He is not saying This was My body.

2 When we pray the Our Father, is it to God the Father or to the whole Trinity? If you could give me a Church teaching about this, that would be good. (Please do not say that when we pray to one of the divine Persons, we are praying to all of them. I feel that is the easy way to answer the question.)

We are directing our prayer to God the Father, However Christ said that no one goes to the Father except through Him. Since all three persons of the Trinity share equally in the Godhead. What one does they all do.

3 When was the Sacrament of Confirmation first instituted?

The Sacrament is found in at least these places.
Acts 19:5-6 and 8:14-17

4 When Jesus told St Peter that the gates of Hell would not prevail against the Church why do we assume that all the teachings of the Church are infallible. This is what the DR bible says about this:

We believe this because the Holy Spirit was promised to guide the Church. (Jn 14:16, 16:13) Christ promised to remain with His Church. (Mt 28:20) Which is why we say that the Church is “Holy”. Christ promised that the Hoy Spirit would teach the apostles ALL things. (Jn 14:26) The Church is the “pillar and foundation of Truth”. (1 Tim 3:15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.