Questions?

I am new at this site and occasionally have catholic questions that either come up on my own or others question me, that at this point, I would like to get answered.

My first question is who answers my questions? Is it a lay person, priest, or sister?

My brother brought up the creed we say at mass every Sunday, “He will come again to judge the living and the dead.” Does this mean we are not judged until Jesus returns? I always thought we were judged on the day we died.???

Lots of people answer. I would say that the majority are lay people (including myself), and most of them know their stuff when it comes to the church. There are a few priests and brothers who hang out around here, and I don’t know of any sisters. But, I’m sure there could be some.

As for judgment, I don’t know if the church has an official stance on when we are judged (other than after death, of course). Wait around to see if anyone else knows anything (I just don’t really concentrate on that, it doesn’t matter to me when we are judged, I just try to live like it will happen really soon).

Eamon

if you post on teh site, most of us are lay people. if you post on the “ask an apologist” forum, a professional apologist will answer it, one or two of which are clergy.

[quote=1_fisherman]I am new at this site and occasionally have catholic questions that either come up on my own or others question me, that at this point, I would like to get answered.

My first question is who answers my questions? Is it a lay person, priest, or sister?

My brother brought up the creed we say at mass every Sunday, “He will come again to judge the living and the dead.” Does this mean we are not judged until Jesus returns? I always thought we were judged on the day we died.???
[/quote]

Mostly lay people like myself who are trying to live and learn the Faith. There are a few religius and clergy on the boards. I would also want to point out that the majority on here are Catholics (Latin and Eastern Rites). But there are atheists, agnostics, people from various Protestant denominations, Eastern Orthodox Orthodox, Jews, adherents to eastern religions and philosophies.

And I believe the Church teaches a particular judgement (i.e. when we die) and a general judgement on the “last day” where everyone will know everything about others and their own lives. Hope this helps. Thanks and God Bless.

[quote=1_fisherman]I am new at this site and occasionally have catholic questions that either come up on my own or others question me, that at this point, I would like to get answered.

[/quote]

The Church teaches that at the moment of death we (our soul) are personally judged and sent to Hell or sent on towards Heaven possibly through Purgatory. At the end of time a General Judgment will take place, we will be reunited with our bodies, Purgatory will cease to exist leaving only Heaven and Hell for all Eternity.

The “Official Apologists” are not necessarly any more qualified then some of the others on here, and we ALL get some things wrong now and then. I do respect Theologians, Deacons, Priests, Bishops, However it must be remembered that they too are only human. I have heard some very misleading answers and even outright wrong answers from them. You have to take what you hear here as with any public or even private conversation and examine it, compare it against the Catechism and other Church magisterial documents.

[quote=1_fisherman]My first question is who answers my questions? Is it a lay person, priest, or sister?
[/quote]

If you post in the “Ask an Apologist” forum, it will be answered either by a priest or layman on the Catholic Answers staff. Most of the people on the rest of the forums are laymen. Many of them, though, are very knowledgable about the faith (I would say perhaps as knowledgable as some of the Catholic Answers apologists). Many people who answer questions will also post quotes from Canon Law or the Catechism to back up their answers.

There are two judgments, the particular judgment and the general judgment. When we die, our sins are laid bare before us and the Lord. Those who die in His friendship (i.e. are not guilty of mortal sin) will go to Heaven (possibly after a time in Purgatory). Those who do not go to Hell.

The general judgment will occur at the end of time. My understanding is that at this time, our sins will be laid bare not only between us and God, but for every soul who has ever lived. We will see the consequences of our actions, both good and bad, and see how they fit into the overarching plan of Salvation.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

**On the General Judgment **

678 Following in the steps of the prophets and John the Baptist, Jesus announced the judgement of the Last Day in his preaching.581 Then will the conduct of each one and the secrets of hearts be brought to light.582 Then will the culpable unbelief that counted the offer of God’s grace as nothing be condemned.583 Our attitude to our neighbour will disclose acceptance or refusal of grace and divine love.584 On the Last Day Jesus will say: "Truly I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me."585

On the Particular Judgment

1022 Each man receives his eternal retribution in his immortal soul at the very moment of his death, in a particular judgment that refers his life to Christ: either entrance into the blessedness of heaven-through a purification592 or immediately,593-or immediate and everlasting damnation.594

At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love.595

[/quote]

…yes, some answers come from the stranges people and places…:eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.