Questions

1. A child is baptized and chrismated in the Russian Orthodox Church. She is adopted by Latin Catholic parents. How would she become Catholic? Does she become a member of the Russian Catholic Church, or merely the Latin Rite?
  2. An Eastern Catholic marries a Latin. To which rite does a child from the marriage belong to?
  3. In the marriage in 2, may the marriage be celebrated in the Latin manner?

I believe the more proper way is just to admit the child into the Catholic Church by word of admission. There is nothing necessarily the child needs to do as all the proper initial Sacraments has been given to her. The Church of Rome is much more knowledgeable on the validity of Orthodox Sacraments and does not see it necessarily to have the child anointed. However if the child is old enough to understand I am sure she can make the decision to be fully “catholic” or she can remain Orthodox but still participate into the Sacraments of the Catholic Church. I am sure no Catholic priest who is knowledgeable on these issues would refuse her if she wanted to stay Orthodox. However the child just might want to remain Orthodox just in case she wants to attend some Orthodox services. The Orthodox Church is a bit more sensitive in allowing Catholics to receive so if she decides to remain Orthodox it might be the best if she wants to attend to both.

I believe in the second question the answer can be discussed between the two to where the children can be brought up. This can only be between the husband and the wife. However if one party is not that religious it will be better to allow the children to attend to the spouse who is more religious. However if both are religious then it must come down to what the couple will decide. Among many of the Lebanese for instance an Orthodox woman will attend to her Catholic husband. This can happen a lot. However I have seen when the Orthodox woman is very religious and her Catholic husband is not the family will attend the Orthodox Church.

I am certain the Latin rite of marriage can be a choice as long as one member is Catholic. Even among the Orthodox I have seen many marriages between Catholics and Orthodox done in the Eastern way as long as one member is Eastern.

Thanks, but I was looking for an Eastern Catholic perspective.:slight_smile:

Just replace the word Orthodox with Eastern Catholic. It is the same for them as well. The only difference will be the Eastern Catholics have no problem with Catholics receiving in their Churches. Try not to be over concerned with the legalistic situation. The Catholic Church and the Eastern Catholics have no problems at all between them. By the way you did mention Orthodox in the first question.

With a couple where the husband and wife are from two different ritual churches, the child is enrolled in the ritual church of the father.

When an Eastern Catholic marries a Latin Catholic, the wedding is to take place in the ritual church of the groom (of course, permission can be given for it to take place in the ritual church of the bride); furthermore, due to Eastern Catholic practice concerning the rite of marriage, the wedding must be done by a priest, and not a deacon.

When a priest is available. If not, then a deacon, or even a minor cleric, or two lay witnesses, can be assigned by the Bishop to witness the marriage (exchange of vows, acknowledgement of the Church), with the actual crowning when a priest is next available. See CCEO Can 832.

Can 803 forbids valid marriage to the unbaptized.

intratext.com/IXT/ENG1199/_PN4.HTM
intratext.com/IXT/ENG1199/_PMB.HTM

That’s very interesting, I had no idea. How does the ritual proceed if there’s no priest to confer blessings, etc.? Is there suppose to be some kind of special form?

The Byzantine books don’t actually give a clear case…

I would, however, expect the witnesses to bring them forward, witness the vows, proclaim them married, and then the people to go into typica… Typica with communion if the deacon is present and blessed to lead it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.