questions?

I talked to my cousin about the catholic church the other day and well,

1. We really need to have a relationship with the mother of god?

2. Vatican 2 leads to hell? I heard there issues with vatican 2 that contradicts vatican 1?

3. The last 5 popes have been “corrupt” since pius.

I am not sure what to say but does anyone have insight?

1. Do we need a relationship with Mary? No, I suppose not… but it’s just smart. Christ would have had a great relationship with His mother, and if she’s good enough for Jesus, she’s good enough for me or you. Also, if we want to know Christ, we should go to His mother - after all, she knows Him better than any other person ever could.

2. Nothing in Vatican 2 contradicts anything in Vatican 1 or any previous councils - in fact, the council fathers quite frequently reference back to previous council statements. Anytime someone says Vatican 2 changed some teaching or another, have the person show you the magisterial document that says that, not just some ‘theologians’ opinion.

3. How does your cousin figure this? What is defined as ‘corrupt’?

Is your cousin a sedevacantist by any chance?
As for answers…

1. Well, considering the fact that Mary is one of the most powerful intercessors out there, its probably a good idea to pray to her. Some people have a good relationship with Mary and others don’t.

2. Vatican II brought good things and bad things about. I am not learned enough to know about the two councils contradicting each other though.

3. This is what makes me think that your cousin might be a sedevacantist. The last five popes have been valid, not corrupt, and besides sedevacantists there are few who think otherwise.

I am trying to keep up with all the heresies. I just found out about Jensenism, think it was…now we’ve got sedevacantism. This is rough keeping up with it all!

Sounds like the sedevacantists. They are heretics. Ignore them.

I’m not greatly versed on it, but from what I gather the sedevacantist (the seat being vacant) position is that none of the popes nor any council since Pius X( one of several groups who hold this view is known as the Society of St. Pius X-SSPX).

They refer to themselves as “Traditionalists Catholics” who reject the Novus Ordo, among other issues.

“Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.” Luke 10:16

To be truly orthodox or traditional means to be obedient to the Church and the rightly elected Vicar of Christ, the Pope. (that’s what my grandfather always told me)

In denying the just election of a pope, the person would ,in fact, be non-orthodox/non-traditional.

I think it’s a problem of modernity. “I have a problem with a teaching or stance of the church, so I’m going to go back in time to where things started to “change” and I’m going to say everything after that is invalid”. Sounds like most SV’s and SSPXers would enjoy Joseph Smith’s views on the Church. Christianity is not a buffet.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.