Quick Confession Question

There is a priest (not my regular confessor) who occasionally hears my confession. At the end, after absolution, he says "Give thanks to the Lord for He is good" and I reply (without thinking) "His mercy endures forever". And then he says something else-perhaps a continuation of that scripture, perhaps something traditional-that I don't know how to respond to.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

Thank you!

Most of the priests I know say, "Go in peace," at that point. I thank him and leave.

[quote="baltobetsy, post:2, topic:294571"]
Most of the priests I know say, "Go in peace," at that point.

[/quote]

After the "mercy endures forever" bit? Or are these priests who don't say that?

....If that is the case, I guess "Thank you, Father" is the right response?

Any of these?

PROCLAMATION OF PRAISE OF GOD AND DISMISSAL
47. After the absolution, the priest continues:
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. The penitent concludes: His mercy endures for ever.
Then the priest dismisses the penitent who has been reconciled, saying:
The Lord has freed you from your sins. Go in peace.
Or [93]:
May the Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ, the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and of all the saints, whatever good you do and suffering you endure, heal your sins, help you to grow in holiness, and reward you with eternal life. Go in peace.
Or:
The Lord has freed you from sin. May he bring you safely to his kingdom in heaven. Glory to him for ever. W. Amen.
Or:
Blessed are those whose sins have been forgiven, whose evil deeds have been forgotten. Rejoice in the Lord, and go in peace.
Or: Go in peace, and proclaim to the world the wonderful works of God who has brought you salvation.

[quote="ExGratia, post:3, topic:294571"]
After the "mercy endures forever" bit? Or are these priests who don't say that?

....If that is the case, I guess "Thank you, Father" is the right response?

[/quote]

Not all priests say it, and many are surprised if you know the correct response and will even say it with you (the "His mercy endures forever" part). Yes, "Thank you, Father" is the right response.

[quote="marty1818, post:4, topic:294571"]
Any of these?

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. The penitent concludes: His mercy endures for ever.
Or [93]:
May the Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ, the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and of all the saints, whatever good you do and suffering you endure, heal your sins, help you to grow in holiness, and reward you with eternal life. Go in peace.
Or:
The Lord has freed you from sin. May he bring you safely to his kingdom in heaven. Glory to him for ever. W. Amen.
Or:
Blessed are those whose sins have been forgiven, whose evil deeds have been forgotten. Rejoice in the Lord, and go in peace.
Or: Go in peace, and proclaim to the world the wonderful works of God who has brought you salvation.

[/quote]

I think the last one....so I guess I respond appropriately when there! Thank you so much to both of you who responded!

My priests have never said any of that at the end of confession, just the absolution and finishing up with Go in peace. I reply Thanks be to God, and thank you Father [insert name here]. Then I leave to say my penance. :confused: Is this something that is optional for the priests?

[quote="IrishRush, post:7, topic:294571"]
My priests have never said any of that at the end of confession, just the absolution and finishing up with Go in peace. I reply Thanks be to God, and thank you Father [insert name here]. Then I leave to say my penance. :confused: Is this something that is optional for the priests?

[/quote]

I think most priests do it like yours. No worries. Absolution is granted!:thumbsup:

[quote="IrishRush, post:7, topic:294571"]

[/quote]

They should but it is not a kind of obligation. This is a part of dismissal but they could be situations when there is no dismissal like when confession is a part of the rite of anointing.
Beginning and ending of confession may be vary. I'm familiar with the Polish and English (Ireland where I work among the Irish) versions of confessions. Some phrases are different, but they are not an essential parts of the sacrament.

[quote="marty1818, post:4, topic:294571"]
Any of these?

Or [93]:
Or:
Or:

[/quote]

Marty - where is this from please?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.